What's new

iPhone Unlocking Guide for Beginners

I just bought a 4s with what you said in mind Jmills, I have a gevey ultra S and my baseband is 2.0.12, I put the sim in and no service for a while now, is there something special I need to do?

Pardon my ignorance, but why would I unlock the baseband?

NOTE: If you're viewing this via a mobile application... tap your screen to view in a compatible browsing window. It'll allow you to see the Baseband lists below.

Here we're going to outline all the Unlockable Basebands for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 (GSM Only) & iPhone 4S (GSM Only) and the methods of doing so. The most common misconception associated with iPhone Unlocking is that it relies on what iOS version you're running... this is false. Unlocking relies strictly on what Modem Firmware or "Baseband" your iDevice is on. In order to determine what Baseband your iDevice is follow this path, Settings>General>About... then look at the designating #'s next to "Modem Firmware." In addition, this outline does not include any iDevice that runs on a CDMA network (Verizon or Sprint). Those iDevices CANNOT BE UNLOCKED in any way outlined below.

In terms of Unlocking there are three methods...

1. The software version called "ultrasn0w" This is a package downloadable via Cydia, after a Jailbreak, through a stock repository that comes with Cydia. This method allows you to use any compatible GSM Sim. For the majority of users, this is the desired method since it doesn't require anything more than Jailbreaking. Then downloading the ultrasn0w Package from Cydia.

2. The hardware version called a Sim Card Interposer The only Sim Interposers that we recommend to use are Gevey Sims. The Gevey Ultra (iPhone 4) & Gevey Ultra S (iPhone 4S). This is due to it being the only legal option, in most areas, because it does not require you to dial an emergency number to complete the Unlock process. The Gevey Ultra (iPhone 4) supports iOS versions 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, 4.3.3, 4.3.4 & 4.3.5. It will also support iOS 5.0 & 5.0.1 ONLY by preserving the 04.10.01 Baseband. The Gevey Ultra S (iPhone 4S) supports iOS versions 5.0 & 5.0.1. There are MANY Sim Card Interposers sold under the "Gevey" or "Ultra" name that simply do not work. Thus, we recommend that Gevey products only be purchased from a trusted supplier like Applenberry.com.

3. Installing the 6.15.00 iPad Baseband (3G & 3GS Only) Installing the iPad BB should only be utilized as a last resort. Installing the iPad BB will essentially LOCK it to this BB and cause your iDevice to lose GPS capabilities. Any future iOS updates will require updating w/ a custom IPSW. The only exception is that the iPad BB isn't compatible w/ iPhone 3GS' manufactured after week 35 of 2011. Doing so will render the cellular radio inoperable. If in the event you choose to take this route... the 6.15.00 iPad BB can be acquired via an option during the Jailbreak process using redsn0w. Once the Jailbreak process is complete and the iPad BB is installed... you'll need to install ultrasn0w, to complete the unlock, via Cydia as outlined in #1 of this Guide.

Below we will list each iDevice, it's Unlockable & non-Unlockable Basebands, and what method is required for that particular Baseband.

iPhone 3G
BasebandsUnlockableUnlock Method
04.26.08YESultrasn0w
05.11.07YESultrasn0w
05.12.01YESultrasn0w
05.13.04YESultrasn0w
05.14.02YESInstall iPad Baseband
05.15.04YESInstall iPad Baseband
iPhone 3GS
04.26.08YESultrasn0w
05.11.07YESultrasn0w
05.12.01YESultrasn0w
05.13.04YESultrasn0w
05.14.02YESInstall iPad Baseband
05.15.04YESInstall iPad Baseband
05.16.00YESInstall iPad Baseband
05.16.02YESInstall iPad Baseband
05.16.05YESInstall iPad Baseband
iPhone 4(GSM ONLY)
01.59.00YESultrasn0w or Gevey Ultra
02.10.04YESGevey Ultra
03.10.01YESGevey Ultra
04.10.01YESGevey Ultra
04.11.08NON/A
04.12.01NON/A
iPhone 4S(GSM ONLY)
01.0.11YESGevey Ultra S
01.0.13YESGevey Ultra S
01.0.14YESGevey Ultra S
02.0.10YESGevey Ultra S

A special thanks to Jmills87 & f4780y for their expertise with the Jailbreaking/Unlocking world & input regarding this outline. I've learned a great deal from you both... thank you very much!

Hello,I ordered the Gevey Ultra S and followed instructions on their website and was unsuccessful. I even brought the phone to a professional mobile store who unlocks with original Geveys all the time. He was also unsuccessful.The Gevey sim was ordered on geveyultra.de which I believe is an original website.The iPhone was bought in Anguilla (a small Caribbean island) and the carrier's name is Lime (known as Cable & Wireless before that). I am now in Germany and have a new T-Mobile sim card that I would like to use.iPhone 4SVersion 5.1.1Modem Firmware 2.0.12Please help me because I am beginning to lose hope.

The Gevey was checked and proven to be original thats what I don't understand. Can u help me?

"Checked and proven to be original" by whom? The people you bought it from? I have unlocked several iPhone4S on 5.1.1 with Gevey Ultra S from AppleNBerry and have never once run into any issues.

Well the technicians at the store said it was an original. The thing is I'm all the way in Germany and I don't think AppleNBerry ships here. I really don't know what to do and need some help! Its so frustrating!

awesome, very helpful! :iphone4vert:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hay guys I have a iPhone 3GS it is on 05.16.07. And 6.0. Can I unlock the phone.... It is pay as you go and it is currently on orange... I have asked orange to unlock it and they told me it takes 30 days.. So I waited the 30 days and they didn't unlock it.ggrrrr.. I then waited another 30days and still they didn't unlock it..grrrrrr... I am so fed up ... So can someone please help me to get this phone unlocked , so I can drop orange....