What's new

unlocking iphone 4s

No, nobody has any experience with it because it hasn't been released yet. As far as I know it will not work on CDMA iPhones but they are working on a solution.

My carrier is Movistar, Spain, to which my iPhone 4s is locked for life (by the tiem being!)
tx for your time and help

Did your carrier give you a sim card to put in the phone?

Then it is not CDMA. Cdma is like verizon. No sim cards

Then it is not CDMA. Cdma is like verizon. No sim cards

false. All iphone 4s come with sim cards. Both iphone 4s cdma and gsm versions have a sim slot.

The only way to check if the iphone is cdma or gsm is by going into settings -> about

It will state the network at the top. If not scroll down to MEID number and if it starts with something like 9900 then it's sprint.

lolwaitwut said:
false. All iphone 4s come with sim cards. Both iphone 4s cdma and gsm versions have a sim slot.

The only way to check if the iphone is cdma or gsm is by going into settings -> about

It will state the network at the top. If not scroll down to MEID number and if it starts with something like 9900 then it's sprint.

No not false. They come with slots. But they dont need a sim card to function. Smart one.

Yes, all iPhone4S have a SIM slot, but they do not all use SIM cards. GSM carriers are still the only ones that use SIM cards. CDMA carriers will put a placeholder SIM into the slot, but it doesnt do anything and the phone functions as normal even without the SIM inserted.

My iphone 4s has not MEID but IMEI followed by ICCID. Nevertheless I just heard that in the European Union it's compulsory to use the GSM system and that the CDMA can not be used. Is that true? If ti is like that, it is clear that I have GSM, as the phone has been bought in Spain for use within the EU.

Tx for your views

No not false. They come with slots. But they dont need a sim card to function. Smart one.

correct the CDMA phones do have a slim slot but its for an international sim card, which might be able to somehow get someone out of the US working on a CDMA iphone

The sim card is provided by the network. For example, the iphone from sprint has a sprint sim card. Even though it doesn't function, it is still there. So you can't judge if an i4s is cdma or gsm based on if it comes with a sim or not.

You asked him

Did your carrier give you a sim card to put in the phone?

to which he answer Yes. The sim card could be a place holder needed during activation. Even though the sim card doesn't function, it is needed for cdma versions as well for activating the phone.

The only real way to check the phone is gsm or not is by looking at the meid/imei numbers

The sim card is provided by the network. For example, the iphone from sprint has a sprint sim card. Even though it doesn't function, it is still there. So you can't judge if an i4s is cdma or gsm based on if it comes with a sim or not.

You asked him

to which he answer Yes. The sim card could be a place holder needed during activation. Even though the sim card doesn't function, it is needed for cdma versions as well for activating the phone.

The only real way to check the phone is gsm or not is by looking at the meid/imei numbers

nope the activation deal is wrong... only the 4s has the sim slot for international sim cards. The iphone 4 does not have a sim slot. Its built into the phone.. which is why if a phone is black listed its not that easy as sticking a new sim in and getting it working with your carrier...