What's new

iPhone 5 Shipment

Ok. So of course I was checking the FedEx site every 2 minutes for an update, and.....NOTHING :-(
So, on my way to pick my son up from school who do I see?? SANTA!!! I'm flashing my lights and blowing the horn like a CRAZY person. The poor driver didn't know whether to stop or go faster. Lol.
Can't wait to get home, kick back and play with this SUPER device. Super excited. :)

all phones from Apple are unlocked,thats why i buy from Apple.
You have to order an unlocked phone which usually costs more. I ordered from Apple as well and got the subsidized price because I renewed a 2 year contract with AT&T but my phone is locked.

all phones from Apple are unlocked,thats why i buy from Apple.
Sorry, PoisonIvy that we can't agree. Since the 2G I've only ever ordered from Apple and every single phone has been locked to AT&T and had a SIM preinstalled when I opened the box.

Hey, maybe we're talking about 2 different things. If you're not in US then you're never buying a US carrier and you always have to buy a factory unlocked phone which would not come with a SIM - is that what you mean? If so - then you should know that all Apple purchased GSM (AT&T and now T-Mobile) iPhones in US come with a SIM pre-installed and are locked. Even CDMA phones before the iP5 were locked to Verizon or Sprint though they don't use SIMS. I'm hearing reports (unconfirmed) that iPhone 5 Verizon phones (CDMA) are unlocked already from factory - hard to believe. But AT&T phones are always locked - even when they come from Apple direct to you - you have to specify at Apple Store or online WHICH carrier you want. Of that I'm 100% sure. Unless, of course, you order them Factory Unlocked and then you pay triple the price when compared to ordering them with a contract.

Last edited:
Sorry, PoisonIvy that we can't agree. Since the 2G I've only ever ordered from Apple and every single phone has been locked to AT&T and had a SIM preinstalled when I opened the box.

Hey, maybe we're talking about 2 different things. If you're not in US then you're never buying a US carrier and you always have to buy a factory unlocked phone which would not come with a SIM - is that what you mean? If so - then you should know that all Apple purchased GSM (AT&T and now T-Mobile) iPhones in US come with a SIM pre-installed and are locked. Even CDMA phones before the iP5 were locked to Verizon or Sprint though they don't use SIMS. I'm hearing reports (unconfirmed) that iPhone 5 Verizon phones (CDMA) are unlocked already from factory - hard to believe. But AT&T phones are always locked - even when they come from Apple direct to you - you have to specify at Apple Store or online WHICH carrier you want. Of that I'm 100% sure. Unless, of course, you order them Factory Unlocked and then you pay triple the price when compared to ordering them with a contract.
yes i gave this some thought later and youre right,it is different here in the UK,we can buy them unlocked right away and then we use them how we like,pay as u go or buy a plan,so i just learned some thing new :)

Readers Digest Version. Phone wouldn't activate for calls, I was told may take 24 hours. Contacts did not transfer over, was told to go to iPhone store. At iPhone store had wise guys working there. Told me $20.00 to transfer contracts. I say get out. They say no, that's what we charge. Guy didn't know how to set it up so I had to wait a bit. Came back and said he didn't have a connector. Told him I did and went out to car to get it. 30 minutes later transfer complete.

But it transfered every single Google contact. Guy says, and this is for real, "Get out of here before I charge you $20.00." Don't mind kidding but that went too far.

Got home still no phone. Call Verizon back and they say that my phone is not one of the ones that need to wait 24 hours to get activated. Go to level 2. On hold. Level 2 has me plug into iTunes and I report what's going on. He says he's calling Apple.

Extended hold time. He informs me that I need to pull sim card out of phone. Use a safety pin, yeah like I have one. Tried a paper clip. Fail. Got a letter opener and managed to get sim card out but it popped out and I didn't see how it sat in tray. Some cosmetic damage to the phone now. It took me another hour to get card back in and repair most of cosmetic damage. Still a little bur but it works.

Finding out quickly some things I didn't expect. Had to purchase another 1Password, the app transferred but it wanted a 4 number code as opposed to a password like all my other ones.

All and all I didn't actually get around to "Playing" with it until 7 hours after I received it. Got lots of questions, will post another thread.

Some interesting info for anyone waiting for October 5th delivery. My order has now been shipped with an estimated delivery of September 28th, one week early.

Some interesting info for anyone waiting for October 5th delivery. My order has now been shipped with an estimated delivery of September 28th, one week early.
mine was October 1st,now im getting it September24th,looks like Apple are getting their fingers out.

Mine has a delivery date of 1 October. I am not going to be anywhere near home on that date and for a couple of weeks afterwards due. I can't get it delivered anywhere else as I will be travelling for most of that day.

I think I am stuffed for getting my phone as they will try to deliver it on that day, then when that fails it will go back to the depot. If I don't contact them within a certain period, they will send it back.

I can't even get to a store on 21 September to queue on the off-chance I can get one either.

Oh well, here's hoping the purported 1 October delivery date is wrong and it is delivered before otherwise I am stuffed. Failing that, I may try to get one from a store later on in the week after the Fri 21 Sept launch.

Well, following my post above, I went into my local Apple store just after they opened yesterday (Saturday) on the complete off chance they would have some phones in stock, knowing full well the queues stretched all the way round the block on the Friday and people were queuing for hours (over thirteen hours in one case).

They said they had received another delivery that morning, not many, but a few units. Although they had sold all the 16gig version, they had a few 32gig ones in stock, so I walked out with a shiny new white 32gig iPhone 5. Very happy customer.

Verizon and Sprint phones are on the CDMA network and don't use SIM cards. Just turn it on and activate it. Only GSM phones (AT&T, Virgin, StraightTalk, TMobile) use SIM cards.

Not correct. GSM phones ship from Apple with SIM preinstalled. CDMA phones, of course, don't need one.

Verizon phones don't need sim cards for talk but, the phones with LTE like the Iphone 5 do. LTE is a GSM technology and all Verizon LTE-equipped phones have to have a sim card.

Verizon phones don't need sim cards for talk but, the phones with LTE like the Iphone 5 do. LTE is a GSM technology and all Verizon LTE-equipped phones have to have a sim card.
So do Verizon customers need to do anything special besides activate the phone? I've never dealt with a sim card before.

So do Verizon customers need to do anything special besides activate the phone? I've never dealt with a sim card before.
Supposedly that is all there is to it. When activating it online there is an additional step of typing in the sim card number but otherwise thats it.

Although it wants you to select a new plan with it, therefore I will be going back to the Verizon store, AGAIN, tomorrow to get mine activated without plan changes.

Supposedly that is all there is to it. When activating it online there is an additional step of typing in the sim card number but otherwise thats it.

Although it wants you to select a new plan with it, therefore I will be going back to the Verizon store, AGAIN, tomorrow to get mine activated without plan changes.
Ughh. I've already had to change my plan when I pre-ordered the phone since unlimited data is no longer available.