What's new

iPhone 5 Shipment

Ughh. I've already had to change my plan when I pre-ordered the phone since unlimited data is no longer available.
Did you use an upgrade on the line that your activating it on? If so, then Verizon's policy does force you to switch from a current unlimited plan (if you have one) to thier newer tiered plans. And, if you did the upgrade and selected a plan at that time of pre-ordering then you shouldn't have to deal with a plan change when activating. Just enter the ESN or MEID and then the sim card number and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Endlyssly said:
Ughh. I've already had to change my plan when I pre-ordered the phone since unlimited data is no longer available.

I added a line to get mine and somehow managed to keep my unlimited.

scrogg said:
You must share your exact actions to get there..., for the community.

It's a long story.

I sold my 4S a couple days before the 5 launch and activated a BB Storm which I can't find on my line. CS looked the BB up in my device history and activated it. So on launch day I added a line and got the 5. I told the guy that I always deal with that I wanted to activate the 5 on my primary line that has the BB on it. He said he couldn't do that because they didn't have extra SIM cards and that I would have to use the 5 on the new line until I could get another SIM. He told me to call CS and have them send me one. I then asked about my plan if I was going to have to change it because I was on unlimited. He just gave me a look and said when you get the SIM you know what to do and I said yeah I do.

Later that day I called CS and told the girl what was going on and she said she didn't need to send me a SIM. She deactivated my 5 and put that line on a test device and told me to wait 24 hours so the SIM card could age and become available again. I waited 24 hours and logged in to My Verizon and activated the 5 on my line. When it got to the select plan part the unlimited plan was already selected so I clicked Next and the 5 was activated and I kept my unlimited.

Apparently the system thinks I paid full retail for a 4G device and let me keep unlimited and the CS rep didn't catch any of that when she did what she did.

Hmmm..., have you looked at your plan online since? Does it still show that you have an unlimited?

I got the same thing, with the unlimited already being selected as well. But the screen prior to that said it was incompatible and that I needed to select a new plan. It also stated that once selected you couldn't revert it. I think I will still go into the store and go over it with them again just to be sure. I have a discounted data plan and I DO NOT wanna lose it.

scrogg said:
Hmmm..., have you looked at your plan online since? Does it still show that you have an unlimited?

I got the same thing, with the unlimited already being selected as well. But the screen prior to that said it was incompatible and that I needed to select a new plan. It also stated that once selected you couldn't revert it. I think I will still go into the store and go over it with them again just to be sure. I have a discounted data plan and I DO NOT wanna lose it.

Yeah I've gone back to My Verizon and checked it and it's still the unlimited plan. Also I had to call CS yesterday about my voicemail and I confirmed it with him as well.

Verizon phones don't need sim cards for talk but, the phones with LTE like the Iphone 5 do. LTE is a GSM technology and all Verizon LTE-equipped phones have to have a sim card.
Hey thanks for the education! I did not know LTE requires a SIM. And yet - if you insert a GSM SIM from another carrier, LTE "won't work with that carrier" per many others who've reported here. Why the inconsistency - I wonder... ? I guess Verizon is "shutting off" that capability somehow..... :-(

Hey thanks for the education! I did not know LTE requires a SIM. And yet - if you insert a GSM SIM from another carrier, LTE "won't work with that carrier" per many others who've reported here. Why the inconsistency - I wonder... ? I guess Verizon is "shutting off" that capability somehow..... :-(

Yeah, the LTE part won't work but what's cool about the Verizon version is it's unlocked. There is a vid on this site with the guy putting his At&t sim card in the Verizon version and it working and, at least getting HSPA+

Did you use an upgrade on the line that your activating it on? If so, then Verizon's policy does force you to switch from a current unlimited plan (if you have one) to thier newer tiered plans. And, if you did the upgrade and selected a plan at that time of pre-ordering then you shouldn't have to deal with a plan change when activating. Just enter the ESN or MEID and then the sim card number and you should be good to go.
My line was eligible for an upgrade. I pre-ordered the iPhone online and switched my data plan to 2g. So I should just need to type in the numbers, right? Or can I even just dial the 228 number to activate it?

My line was eligible for an upgrade. I pre-ordered the iPhone online and switched my data plan to 2g. So I should just need to type in the numbers, right? Or can I even just dial the 228 number to activate it?
Yeah, either way should work. Enjoy.

Yeah, the LTE part won't work but what's cool about the Verizon version is it's unlocked. There is a vid on this site with the guy putting his At&t sim card in the Verizon version and it working and, at least getting HSPA+
Interesting. Not sure why one would want to ever do that? Why not just go with the AT&T phone to begin with. Especially since you can unlock AT&T iPhone 5s now for about $10. I think people just like to be "free" from the "notion" of being locked. LOL!! Why would anyone want to put a SIM in their Verizon phone to get "less" speed???

The unlock is interesting for two reasons. One if you travel you need an unlock so you can insert a local Sim and not be held ransom to your carriers high charges. The second is that you could buy an iPhone 5 for $200 from AT&T, cancel your contract for $225 (the last time i checked) and you would have a phone you could use on any GSM carrier like T Mobile for a total of $425. I believe unlocked factory iPhones cost a lot more than that.

The unlock is interesting for two reasons. One if you travel you need an unlock so you can insert a local Sim and not be held ransom to your carriers high charges. The second is that you could buy an iPhone 5 for $200 from AT&T, cancel your contract for $225 (the last time i checked) and you would have a phone you could use on any GSM carrier like T Mobile for a total of $425. I believe unlocked factory iPhones cost a lot more than that.
Hmmm. Very crafty plan.... Me like-ey!!! ;-)
Except for the fact that TMobile has bad coverage, throttling and no LTE. :-(

cherryhesh said:
Hmmm. Very crafty plan.... Me like-ey!!! ;-)
Except for the fact that TMobile has bad coverage, throttling and no LTE. :-(

I think they just got rig of throttling but coverage can be bad depending where you are. They do have lower prices and a lot of people have unlocked iPhones on T Mobile.

Interesting. Not sure why one would want to ever do that? Why not just go with the AT&T phone to begin with. Especially since you can unlock AT&T iPhone 5s now for about $10. I think people just like to be "free" from the "notion" of being locked. LOL!! Why would anyone want to put a SIM in their Verizon phone to get "less" speed???

I didn't know it was that easy and cheap to unlock a brand new iPhone 5 on AT&T. It sounds too good to be true. If it's that easy I sure will be unlocking mine.

I was going to wait for the unlocked iPhone 5 to become available but, I got a good deal so I signed up for two more years. If I can unlock my phone for just $10.00 that will be awesome.

In answer to the previous post about the early termination. I believe the early termination fee is $350.00 and it reduces $10.00 every month your on the contract.

I know all this because I've become a phone junkie and have switched back & forth between, android, iPhone, Verizon, AT&T and tmobile over last last few years lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD