What's new

iPhone 4 Stuck in DFU--Only redsn0w's "just boot" option works.

lediable007

Reaction score
I tried to update to OS5 using redsn0w 0.9.9b8, and I kept getting various errors. On one occasion, the process started, but it froze and the device kept going into recovery mode when started. I attempted to install OS5 using sn0wbreeze, but that didn't work either. I got a host of errors throughout the process, error 1, 2, 1600, 3194 (most frequently, and when I was trying to update to iOS5).

Eventually, the phone got stuck in DFU mode. I tried TinyUmbrella's fixrecovery, I tried redsn0w's recovery fix, and nothing seemed to work. I downloaded OS 4.3.3 and used pwnagetool to create a custom firmware as a last resort. It installed fine, but the iPhone went right back into DFU mode. Out of desperation, I clicked the "just boot" option in redsn0w and the iPhone worked.

This is ridiculous, because I was running OS 4.3.3 before with a gevey sim and I never needed a tethered boot. What have I done wrong? Is it reversible?

And why is it impossible to update to iOS 5?

Thanks in advance, guys.

-lediable007

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was under the impression that it was impossible to update to 5.0.1 without losing the functionality of my Gevey sim. I am at the University of the West Indies in Barbados until August of next year, so I need the iPhone to be unlocked.

I have had no problems with Gevey Ultra on 5.0.1 but many have reported problems with Gevey Turbo. Either way, your only option is to restore 5.0.1 unless you have your SHSH saved for an earlier firmware and can downgrade.

I don't have any SHSH saved, so I'll install 5.0.1 using Sn0wbreeze and let you know what happens. I am using the Gevey Ultra as well.

It worked! I have my iPhone back!! Small issue...I cannot get past the "activate" screen. What did I do wrong?

Hi JmillS87,
I have a similiar issue...
I've an iphone 4, B=4.10.01, ios=4.3.5, Sim=Gevey, Service=Tmobile;
It's jailbreak, unlock and working fine at one point, until i've tried to install facetime fix from cydia and it's crashed.
I've tried to bring it back with 4.3.5 but then it got into T-mode forced me to use redsnow to boot.
Then, I think i would bring it down to Ios=4.3.3 w/o have an issue to boot by connect to PC.
This is where i'm stuck now w/o a save SHSH. :(
Then at the panic mode, used redsnow to jailbreak the phone with 4.3.5 and 4.3.3 and 5.0.0 but no luck.
It's keep showing the itune icon on the phone.
Used snowbreeze with 5.0 because i got into 3914 error.
Now i'm stuck with 3914 error and none of the ios will work.

1) shoul i update my phone with ios 5.0.1?
2) if yes, should i use snowbreeze 2.8 to preserved baseband first?
Will (1)&(2) work for tmobile gevey sim?

3) if not, how do i find out if my phone baseband in this condition?
4) is there anyway i can get my phone to work again.

I would very much appreciates for all your advise.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Jmills.
I've decided to upgrade to 5.0.1
But now i got stuck at 3914 error when phone is DFU mode and connect to itune 10.4.1 attempt to downgrade baseband from 4.11.08 to 4.10.1

Please help! Thanks.

Jmills87 said:
Its not possible to downgrade baseband. Also, you must be using the newest version of iTunes in order to restore 5.0.1.

Thanks Jmills.
Final question, so now i have no opt to downgrade then if i stay 5.0.1 with base 4.18.01 can i unlock to use with tmo bile? I have gevey sim but not sure what version. And how do i unlock it w/o a preserved baseband.

There's no way to unlock the 04.11.08 baseband. That's why i said it was important that you preserve your baseband when updating.