What's new

Heres my method of downgrading ios from 5.1 to x.x on A4 devices.

Something is wrong on my phone. I have an AT&T iPhone so it would be GSM (right? Verizon is CDMA isn't it?) which is what I downloaded, after downloading iFaith I even let it (iFaith) download the IPSW for me after selecting the 5.0.1 SHSH TU saved for me. I get the following error.

Invalid 5.0.1 (9A405) IPSW for the iPhone 4
MD5 (1209e82718eb89f532ccd90ca93b3641)

Then when I try to let iFaith extract the blobs it only gets the 4.2.1 blob.

I ran tinyunbrella from CYDIA and it shows I have all the versions that Win TU extracted 4.2.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1

What am I doing wrong?

mongo549 said:
Something is wrong on my phone. I have an AT&T iPhone so it would be GSM (right? Verizon is CDMA isn't it?) which is what I downloaded, after downloading iFaith I even let it (iFaith) download the IPSW for me after selecting the 5.0.1 SHSH TU saved for me. I get the following error.

Invalid 5.0.1 (9A405) IPSW for the iPhone 4
MD5 (1209e82718eb89f532ccd90ca93b3641)

Then when I try to let iFaith extract the blobs it only gets the 4.2.1 blob.

I ran tinyunbrella from CYDIA and it shows I have all the versions that Win TU extracted 4.2.1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1

What am I doing wrong?

Well what Ipsw are you trying to use again? Download a fresh 5.0.1 IPSW.

mongo549 said:
Here is where I unloaded the file from which I got from the sticky near the top of the page:

iPhone4 GSM
5.1 http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5/041-1...6_Restore.ipsw
5.0.1 http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...5_Restore.ipsw

I selected the 5.0.1 version.

Here is a fresh version of the file it creates:

iPhone3,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore .ipsw

Any ideas? Like I said I've even selected the option from Ifaith to download the version for me and get the same error.

That is strange. What versions of iFaith do you have? You need 1.4.2.

Okay, wow, I dowloaded the IPSW from a link on another site, I had left iFaith in the browse for 5.0.1 IPSW and it worked with the new file. I dowloaded the file from this site 4 times and none worked but that one worked. I didn't do anything different. Okay, more advice please, I've never used iFaith to jailbreak, it is asking me to put in DFU PWNed mode and click proceed. Should I do this or go with redsn0w? If I proceed with iFaith will it be untethered since I customized the IPSW with my SHSH blog? Thanks for all your help, at least I have a customized IPSW file created for 5.0.1.

I have iFaith 1.4.2, I also have the latest version of redsn0w.

If you have any other suggestions or advice to save me heartache and headaches, I would certianly appreciate them!!! Thanks again!!!

mongo549 said:
Okay, wow, I dowloaded the IPSW from a link on another site, I had left iFaith in the browse for 5.0.1 IPSW and it worked with the new file. I dowloaded the file from this site 4 times and none worked but that one worked. I didn't do anything different. Okay, more advice please, I've never used iFaith to jailbreak, it is asking me to put in DFU PWNed mode and click proceed. Should I do this or go with redsn0w? If I proceed with iFaith will it be untethered since I customized the IPSW with my SHSH blog? Thanks for all your help, at least I have a customized IPSW file created for 5.0.1.

I have iFaith 1.4.2, I also have the latest version of redsn0w.

If you have any other suggestions or advice to save me heartache and headaches, I would certianly appreciate them!!! Thanks again!!!

iFaith does not jailbreak your device.

It only allows your to restore to unsigned firmware. Which would be 5.0.1.

Follow the instructions to enter PWNED DFU
Mode and shift+restore to the iFaith IPSW.

If you don't get the PWNED DFU success message..keep doing it til you do.

One restored to the custom IPSW,

Sync your music, download your apps, then jailbreak with redsn0w.

I lost all my cydia apps will they come back after I jailbreak? I backed on a cydia program I forget the name of it, it was recommended here.

mongo549 said:
I lost all my cydia apps will they come back after I jailbreak? I backed on a cydia program I forget the name of it, it was recommended here.

Wait...

I'm
Confused. You lost all your Cydia tweaks???

How?

I cannot help you until you tell me exactly how they disappeared.

They're gone because he restored, whenever you restore, you lose everything on the phone that's how a restore works. It's like reformatting a computer. No, they will not come back after you jailbreak. If you used a 3rd party app to back up your installations you will first have to redownload that app and then use it to restore your installations.

mongo549 said:

Lol.

Sounds like us just went ahead and started doing stuff without reading anything about anything.lol.

Didn't really think this through did ya?

You just gonna have to redownload all your Cydia tweaks (not apps....some are...but not that many).

Unless you used AptBackup. Then you have to restore to the latest backup for the package to restore all you tweaks.

Unless you used AptBackup. Then you have to restore to the latest backup for the package to restore all you tweaks.
Or PKGBackup which is the more commonly promoted Cydia tweak backup around here.

pianoman said:
Or PKGBackup which is the more commonly promoted Cydia tweak backup around here.

And a better one. But I assumed the user would have went for the free option.

Zig you are the man! I used PKGBackup and got most of what I had back. I would like to find a better restore program. I backuped to both to both DropBox and SugarSync, but didn't get everything back. I did get all the important things except for my pics that were stored in Photosafe or what ever that App is called. I'm going to download it again and see if they come back, if not I have them backed up on a hard drive. Believe it or not I'm a sys admin for a major hosp, the tools are much better there, lol. I do understand the basics but as manager I don't have the luxury of hands on all the latest technology. I really thank you for your help. You are obviously a brilliant person. You ask all the right questions. I'm much more iPhone savvy after this escapade, lol. Thanks again!!

I've successfully jailbroken every iPhone I've had until this mess. Luckily I was able to get good advise from an expert! Have a good weekend and thanks again!

BTW - if you have a better backup program you like, I'm all ears.