What's new

Getting an US iPhone 4S work in India

Sonic911

Reaction score
I live in India ,iPhone 4S is way too costly in INDIA...its above 850$....
SO im planning to buy an iPhone 4S in US....I have my friend there who will buy it there and give it to me when he comes to India....Please guide me on the cheapest plan...

Im gonna
1.BUY
2.JAILBREAK & UNLOCK....(in US itself....or in INDIA)...will the phone work in India so that I can unlock it...(preferably by myself)
3.DISCONTINUE THE CARRIER PLANS...(so that I dont need to pay the montly bill anymore)(will he be in trouble after this)
4.PUT AN INDIAN SIMCARD(making the ordinary sim to microsim by cutting it)
5.ENJOY....

Please tell me the cheapest deal and your advice....
thanks in Advance...

You will be able to jailbreak the iPhone 4S once you receive it, but it will be tether jailbreak you will get.
I don't think that you will be able to use a locked to carrier iPhone 4S in India, to my knowledge at present, there is no way to unlock the iPhone 4S using the very popular unlocking tool available in cydia. I read on internet that there are tools which you can purchase and unlock the iPhone 4S, but how reliable are those tools? i can't say a thing about it.
Your best option will be to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4S from the US, this is if it's cheaper than in India, that way you will avoid having a lot of troubles with your iPhone.

if suppose there is a way to get it unlocked....

how much will be the minimum cost i must pay to get it in my hand...and then discontinue the plan...??
Im getting it in january.....still a month to go.....who knoes how many unlock tools will flood by then...
And please answer whether my frien who is buying and discontinuing the plan will be in trouble later....

I do not live in the US, really can't speculate on the price of an factory unlocked iPhone 4S.
If your friend buy you an iPhone 4S he will not have to worry about any discontinuing the plan because a factory unlocked iPhone is not linked to any plan.
As for the hope you have for ultraslow to unlock a factory locked iPhone 4S it's good. The troubles is that even the devs who are working on the tool to be release even do not know when exactly they will get it ready, in one word there is no ETA for it, meaning that it could be tomorrow, after 1 week, or after 2 months, or after 1 year, or perhaps never. No one can say for sure except the devs, but they also don't say much so...

You will be able to jailbreak the iPhone 4S once you receive it, but it will be tether jailbreak you will get.

NO! There is NO jailbreak, tethered or otherwise for the iPhone 4S as things stand today. It is impossible.

It is also impossible to unlock the iPhone4S if it is currently locked to a carrier today, other than by getting the carrier to officially unlock it. As carriers in the USA do not offer this service, then the OP has no way to get the phone unlocked either.

JB Devs are working on both jailbreak and unlock solutions for the iPhone4S, but as has been said already, there is no ETA / release date and no point in speculating on one.

NO! There is NO jailbreak, tethered or otherwise for the iPhone 4S as things stand today. It is impossible.

It is also impossible to unlock the iPhone4S if it is currently locked to a carrier today, other than by getting the carrier to officially unlock it. As carriers in the USA do not offer this service, then the OP has no way to get the phone unlocked either.

JB Devs are working on both jailbreak and unlock solutions for the iPhone4S, but as has been said already, there is no ETA / release date and no point in speculating on one.
ah yeah... that's correct.

The iphone 4s in US is $199 and thats the price if you buy a 2 year contract with the carrier , otherwise the phone is $649 without the contract ...if he buys a contract and gets the phone then he has to pay a Termination fee of $350 ........so its up to you how you wanna do this ..........

The iphone 4s in US is $199 and thats the price if you buy a 2 year contract with the carrier , otherwise the phone is $649 without the contract ...if he buys a contract and gets the phone then he has to pay a Termination fee of $350 ........so its up to you how you wanna do this ..........
Just asking... does paying the termination fee of $350 helps to unlock the device? Or even after terminating the contract by paying that $350 the phone will still be lock to carrier?

Im anyway never buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4S...

I have the same question bab2010 has....the discont. fee is for unlocking or just escaping from contract

So I kind of wait for sometime....for unlocks to come...then bring it here and unlock(or in US itself)
DISCONTINUE......(im really worried about my friend in this part)

And all I need to pay is just 199$ to get in my hand.....thats cheap...
And trust me people.....Unlocks are gonna come in just a few weeks from now....

and will I be able to use it as an iPod atleast after discontinueing ,untill unlock comes......coz I dont want a costly toy for my little sister.....

The termination fee wont unlock your phone it will just get you out of the contract but the phone will still be locked. The ONLY way to unlock an iPhone4S right now is to buy it from Apple at the retail price(they come factory unlocked).

Sonic911 said:
if suppose there is a way to get it unlocked....

how much will be the minimum cost i must pay to get it in my hand...and then discontinue the plan...??
Im getting it in january.....still a month to go.....who knoes how many unlock tools will flood by then...
And please answer whether my frien who is buying and discontinuing the plan will be in trouble later....

There is no unlock!

-Sent from my iPhone 4s on Verizon

Sonic911 said:
Im anyway never buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4S...

I have the same question bab2010 has....the discont. fee is for unlocking or just escaping from contract

So I kind of wait for sometime....for unlocks to come...then bring it here and unlock(or in US itself)
DISCONTINUE......(im really worried about my friend in this part)

And all I need to pay is just 199$ to get in my hand.....thats cheap...
And trust me people.....Unlocks are gonna come in just a few weeks from now....

No. There is no unlock

-Sent from my iPhone 4s on Verizon