What's new

Fed up with antenna problems!

lol no im just saying is all... why so many units need a bumper for a sigle and others seem to be ok

lol no im just saying is all... why so many units need a bumper for a sigle and others seem to be ok

I believe that if you are in an area with a very strong signal, the issue may not present itself. In my case, reception is somewhat spotty at times. As soon as I grab my phone, the bars quickly diminish from 5 to none. I put the phone down, and the bars go back to 5.

You are completely right all it takes is a damp/wet finger across the line to reduce signal...or signal meter. I find if I'm at 2 bars I can easily get it to go down to 0. But if I have good signal... I cant replicate it. I have tested this on 16 of my friends phones and they all act the same. In my opinion they all act the same way there is no "good" or "bad" phones.

I queued up very early in the morning to get my iphone 4 on the launch date. (like most people) I just had an 8gb 3g before and loved it, i couldnt fault it apart from the battery not being superb.........but Apple reckon the 4g battery will last longer??? I beg to differ. im not a heavy user but i do like my facebook and check it maybe a couple of times an hour and from unplugging it at 7am it lasted untill 2pm. the battery was rinsing so quick that every time it was on stanby and i turned it back on to home screen, i had lost like 3% of battery!!!
ON STANDBY!!!???? I THOUGH IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE OVER 250HRS STANDBY TIME??? i know signal is bad but im really hoping there will be an update soon for that.....fingers crossed.?? i love it otherwise and i dont wanna be the fool to sell it on ebay for over £500 and then the problem gets solved!!

anyone else experiencing battery problems......or just me??

I queued up very early in the morning to get my iphone 4 on the launch date. (like most people) I just had an 8gb 3g before and loved it, i couldnt fault it apart from the battery not being superb.........but Apple reckon the 4g battery will last longer??? I beg to differ. im not a heavy user but i do like my facebook and check it maybe a couple of times an hour and from unplugging it at 7am it lasted untill 2pm. the battery was rinsing so quick that every time it was on stanby and i turned it back on to home screen, i had lost like 3% of battery!!!
ON STANDBY!!!???? I THOUGH IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE OVER 250HRS STANDBY TIME??? i know signal is bad but im really hoping there will be an update soon for that.....fingers crossed.?? i love it otherwise and i dont wanna be the fool to sell it on ebay for over £500 and then the problem gets solved!!

Just call apple they have several things to try to try. If they can't get it fixed they will replace your phone. I had the same problem with my 3GS and they just sent me a new one 6months after I got it. You shouldn't be having any problems.. I'm a heavy user and mine lasts a day easy. One of my favorite things about the iPhone 4.

For days I've been trying to replicate the "death grip" problem with little success. I tried dozens of times - hands tightly gripping the lower left, covering all antenna seams, and touching all antenna surfaces at once. I even tried it with damp hands, and that would sometimes cause me to lose a single bar. I was thinking that maybe I'd have to try it in the shower for full effect!

Today I tried something different. I held I steel razor blade across the lower left antenna gap touching both antennas, and it did repeatedly lose 2-3 bars over the next 30 secs or so. Removing the connection brought the signal back. It appears to me that merely blocking the antenna area isn't enough to affect signal. It looks like a direct connection is required.

So I cut a 3 1/4" piece of Scotch Super Strength clear packaging tape and cleaned the left metal edge of the iP4 with alcohol. I placed the tape from just under the down volume button to just before the left speaker (really the mic) and carefully trimmed the excess with a razor blade. It's simple and invisible.

While I've done no serious lab testing of this, it seems that nothing I can do now affects the signal bars.

Spare me the lecture about how we shouldn't have to do this (or use a case) on a new phone. I completely agree, but something like this might be an easy solution that doesn't require an ugly, bulky case should one choose to fly naked.

Last edited:
I don't have the phone and don't plan to get it, but like everyone I have seen a great deal about this problem.

And a scotch tape solution, from what I've heard works however scotch tape is in no means going to stay or provide permenant protection and it'll get dirt, under the edges and peel away, unless applied with extreme accuracy.

Maybe someone daring would try putting something like clear nail polish sealer around the bottom corner of the band, if careful you could likely apply it so that it would be smooth, and it would probably help to keep your hand from interfering with the antenna. Just a thought, now back to the Evo 4G forums. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi Apple Homies,

You know to solve your antenna problem, you need to...

1. put your right thumb on the top of the phone while moving your index finger counter-clockwise 90 degrees.
2. Use your free hand to leverage electrical charge and zap the antenna with a good two second shock
3. twist your head into the screen of the iPhone and blink 5 times
4. buy a case
5. ignore step 1-3

Okay so in So. Florida no problems with or without a Case. I am in Northern Va now and although my bars fluctuate much more I have no dropped calls and great reception.
So perhaps the bars really don't mean that much? I can't relate to all thus excitement!!

The Iphone 4 battery is much better. If you are looking at Facebook a couple times an hour than you are probably not signing out. That means that Facebook is running all the time. In a way then your phone is never in standby, it is always on. I might be wrong, but that is how it has been explained to me.

I think i might be in a different boat than most. No matter what way i hold my iphone 4, my signal does not change. I notice i actually have worse signal all around (holding it or not) compared to my 3gs. When i have my 3gs and iphone 4 side by side (both with 4.0 stock) my 3gs gets better signal. I also have a bumper and there is no change in signal with or without it, holding it or not. Also, when my iphone 4 says no or low signal, i do get dropped calls contrary to apples statement. All this seems to contradict everyones theory though so what gives? The only different factor between me and everyone else Is location.

Guys, lets take a minute here and view all the facts.

Ok, I've now had my iphone 4 for the last couple of weeks (which is the best one yet I may add) and I think it's now time to put my views out on the issue of the "problems with the antenna".

I have noticed, and I must say that I had the same issues with the 3gs is that the phone seems to have trouble with 3g reception, but if you turn that off and rely on Edge I have no problems at all, no dropped calls, brilliant call quality etc, no matter what way I hold the phone (I'm left handed and would rather hold the phone with my right hand).

So it comes down to this simple question, is it a hardware fault or is it down to poor provider 3g service? If it's the latter which I think it is, then we need to start getting on the backs of whatever provider you use. I'm from the UK and with O2 and where I live I know that 3g service is borderline crap, so that's why I stick to edge for making calls.

If what Apple says about the signal not being displayed properly and after the fix it shows the true signal is worse that you first thought then it really is down to the provider to sort out their service.

I know some of you will say, why turn off 3g and make web browsing slower, but really, you're not going to do that as often as making calls, and besides, we hold the phone differently when browsing so if 3g is on, the phone will still be able to get 3g data speeds. So all I can advise is, if you're gonna make calls, make sure 3g is off (unless you're in a really strong signal area), and only have it on for web, face book access etc until such times as the providers sort out their now apparent poor 3g service.

Besides the battery will last so much longer if 3g is off until you really need it when you're out and about.

Sent from my iPhone 4… eventually
What goes up must come down, and in the spirit of things I start by saying it was destined. The hype, the carnival and the unshakable trend that was apple and the popular iPhone, now apple have an army of angry, disillusioned customers who want nothing more than answers and blood.
It starts with a problem “hey my phone call keeps cutting out!” the reason is clear when handling the iPhone you may disrupt the signal by touching the antenna. Outraged and sold a fading dream the vision of a perfect product thrown in the dirt.
Communications between apple and their customers are short and really unhelpful, Steve Jobs is quick to down play the problem and tell people there is more to life than the iPhone (you know… he is right) and the negative comment, posts, articles roll in.
The options are clear… refund, HTC desire, nail polish, iphone 4 case, hands free, gloves

Sent from my iPhone 4… eventually