What's new

"Downloading" iOS upgrade using iTunes

EWyatt

Reaction score
Test question: when plugging in an iPhone with an older iOS to iTunes on a PC, the offer to install or "download only" option appears. If "download only" is selected where does that download go -- into the iPhone's memory or the computer? Later, after downloading, what is the process to install that iOS download so the device can be upgraded? Thanks!

It stores it on your computers local hard disk. Simply plug the device back in when you are ready to upgrade. It should ask you to upgrade every time you do that.

The downloaded IPSW on PCs are located at

<Partition Letter i.e. C:>\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Make sure you're updated to the latest version of iTunes first. And if you plug in a device, all you have to do is go to the device's page and press the restore button and it'll download and restore. But since you've already downloaded it, you can either shift+click restore and point it to the directory above for the iOS 6.0.1 IPSW that you've already downloaded (or the latest version that's available for your device). Or, you can simply click Restore and it should start automatically since it'll look back at the directory above and will see the IPSW already there.

Thanks willer..., and Skull, for the info. I'll probably just download and install in one happy process. I'm not sure about using the Restore-type options you posted -- I'd likely brick the device with a wrong click of the keyboard. Thanks again though.....

Well if you want to play it safe, put the iPhone into DFU then restore using the shift+click restore on iTunes method.

Putting into DFU mode and putting the phone into recovery mode may not always work. It is possible you can bump into an "iPhone is not eligible to for upgrade..." You may need to edit your Hosts file to remove gs.apple.com from the list.

In the midst of downloading the latest upgrade (ipsw is locally stored on computer), remember that after the download, and attempt to install, the file will be deleted/disappear. So when it's completed, copy and paste the file elsewhere so you can manually Shift+Click restore whenever.