What's new

iphone and ipod with itunes

Fredd

Reaction score
I have a 160BG ipod classic that i sync with itunes. I am getting an iphone and i heard that itunes is what i need to use to download apps. Will i be able to use both devices with itunes? I DON'T want itunes to try to put my music library onto the iphone. I want to continue to plug my ipod into itunes and sync it but still be able to plug the iphone in to download apps.

If i plug my iphone into my PC, will itunes automatically try to sync my music library with the iphone or will it recognize it as a separate device and treat it differently?

If there is a problem using both devices with itunes, what are my other options for downloading apps?

you do not need to worry about that, iTunes will not just by it's own sync up all your iTunes library into your new iPhone. It will do so only if you allow iTunes to do so. Alternatively, you can purchase and download and install apps right from your iPhone, there is no need to connect it to your computer before downloading apps into your iPhone, however you will need to have at least a 3g internet connection on your iPhone, better if you have a wifi connection.

you do not need to worry about that, iTunes will not just by it's own sync up all your iTunes library into your new iPhone. It will do so only if you allow iTunes to do so. Alternatively, you can purchase and download and install apps right from your iPhone, there is no need to connect it to your computer before downloading apps into your iPhone, however you will need to have at least a 3g internet connection on your iPhone, better if you have a wifi connection.

Thanks. The phone is a 3GS so it seems that it wll be OK. Don't i need to plug the iphone into my computer anyway to download my address book and updates or whatever? I know i had to do that with my Blackberry.

depend on where your contacts are located. If your contacts are in your email accounts, then set up your email accounts on your iPhone and enable contact in the email setting and all your contacts will show up in the contact app. To update apps on the iPhone, you do not really need iTunes to do so, you will see a badge notification on the App store icon on your iPhone home screen, just go to the app store> updates/ and there you can update your apps. But iTunes is good and doing what you want it to do, so just read carefully what you are selecting before it get too late, once iTunes start syncing, do not interrupt it, it might damage the iOS files or mess up with your iPhone disc space. If you mistakenly sync in something, let it finish the sync and then correct your mistake and sync in again. It's easy and don't panic.

Thanks. That makes me feel better.

If you have an iPhone or iPod, and there are many things in your iTunes library, you may make syncing between them from time to time. However, for some computer beginners, they are not familiar with it, though this is a very basic but important operation. If you're one of them, this page will help.
Step 1: connect your iPhone or iPod with computer.
Step 2: launch iTunes and your device will be recognized automatically. You can find it under DEVICES on the left panel of iTunes:
iphone-ipod-touch-in-itunes.jpg

(Note: the device name "iPhone/iPod" might be different from yours)

Step 3, click on this device and on the main window of iTunes, there's a
button-sync.jpg
button under Summary tab. But remember, this will sync all your iTunes library to iPhone / iPod. If you just want to import part of the library, just go to the corresponding tab, and change the sync options to Selected and check items going to be synced:
sync-selected-movies.jpg
sync-selected-applications.jpg

Like pictures above, left one shows you that only sync first two movies; right one shows only sync last two applications. And remember to click Apply button to active such sync actions.
After a while, the sync will be complete. Now, check your iPhone or iPod, and you will find Sync operation is helpful and very easy.

More reviews: iPod/iPhone/iPad Transfer & Backup Reviews, which includes the transferring of music, photos, videos, SMS, Contact ect. between iPod/iPhone/iPad and computer(PC or Mac).

Last edited: