What's new

4S syncs from within Itunes, but songs dont appear on phone itself....help plz

aftershock00

Reaction score
Just bought a new Iphone 4s. This is my first iphone (but i have ipods). I also have a new computer which I downloaded Itunes onto. I have not trasferred the music from my old laptop onto the new laptop/new itunes so everything is fresh and empty. I have an audio book i uploaded onto itunes. Again, this is the only file on my itunes library at the moment. It uploaded without any issues as I can play the tracks off of my Itunes lilbrary on the computer without an issue.

Next step, I plug my iphone into the computer and itunes recognizes it without any noticeable issues. Since I have my setting to sync any checked songs/files, itunes appears to transfer the audiobook onto my iphone. This is further confirmed by the fact that on my computer's itunes, my iphone device is shown as having these songs in the "books" folder. Everything APPEARS to be going according to plan, however, when I attempt to play/find these tracks on my iphone, they are nowhere to be found. Its as if they never synced. I even downloaded an audiobook player app, and that doesnt identify any files it could play either. I dont understand, itunes shows the tracks on the iphone, but the iphone says otherwise.

So essentially, my iphone itself is not recognizing any songs/data that were transferred, but when linked to my computer itunes, the iphone device is shown as having this data in it. Any help would be very, very much appreciated. Thank you.

If iTunes really sync those tracks onto your iPhone, it means that your iPhone is capable of playing those tracks. Try doing a hard reset on the iPhone and see if your iPod app will finally play the tracks or not. If no joy, the connect your iPhone to iTunes, go to the app tab, scroll down to see the "sharing apps" section, try to locate your audiobook player in that section, highlight it and drag and drop your tracks in the window at the rich side of the name of your app. Locate your audiobook app in your iPhone, open it and see if your tracks are in there or not.

I just uploaded some music to my computer's itunes library from my IPAD. This also allowed me to sync my ipod without a problem and guess what, audio book synced without a problem. I then connect my Iphone, the music transfers fine, but the books still are not showing up on the actually phone, though my computer's itunes is detecting it in the iphone's book folder when I connect phone to PC.

Just wanted to spread the word that I figured out what the problem is: After searching around the "info" tab of each track, I noticed that except for the name being displayed as "track 1", the line for artist was blank. I took a long shot and just tapped the keyboard "asdf" and saved it and resynced and waddaya know, I have an iphone that now identifies my audiobook "asdf" track 1, etc.

I do not know why the omission of an artist prevented the iphone from recognizing the audiobooks that synced to it, but it did not prevent my ipod from identifying it.

Either way, if you have an issue where your itunes folder is showing files as being onto your device, but the device itself isnt identifying/displaying these files, do yourself a favor and make sure the file has some info attached to it...specifically...an artist name.