What's new

Major problem with accessing some songs on 4S

Jimbanville

Reaction score
I have a 4S. My dumb self reformatted the laptop that I had been syncing to the phone, because I was selling the laptop. I only realized this was an issue when the old laptop was gone and I tried to sync the phone to a new laptop with itunes, and itunes told me it would need to erase all my phone's music before it could sync!!!! I called apple support and the lady told me I was basically out of luck. I addition to this issue, I have 590 songs showing on my phone, but many will not play. I tried using a second party app like sharepod and media monkey, but only 480 or so of the 590 songs can be accessed from the phone. I gather that these issues are related. I'd like to get all the songs off of the phone, sync with itunes on the new laptop and reload the music. Any advice? THANKS!!!!!!!!!

I have a 4S. My dumb self reformatted the laptop that I had been syncing to the phone, because I was selling the laptop. I only realized this was an issue when the old laptop was gone and I tried to sync the phone to a new laptop with itunes, and itunes told me it would need to erase all my phone's music before it could sync!!!! I called apple support and the lady told me I was basically out of luck. I addition to this issue, I have 590 songs showing on my phone, but many will not play. I tried using a second party app like sharepod and media monkey, but only 480 or so of the 590 songs can be accessed from the phone. I gather that these issues are related. I'd like to get all the songs off of the phone, sync with itunes on the new laptop and reload the music. Any advice? THANKS!!!!!!!!!

When connecting your phone to the new computer, you should have been given the option to transfer everything on your phone to the computer without deleting it. Did you not receive this option? Did you authorize the computer through iTunes before trying to sync?

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

Last edited:
I don't remember getting that prompt. I loaded itunes on the new laptop, I went into preferences and told itunes not to sync automatically (because I had read that auto syncing can do funky things, like deleting your phone's music) and selected to manually control my music. When I plugged the phone in, it told me I needed to sync to the phone and this would erase all my songs on the phone.

You should have received that prompt, it's what allows you to transfer purchases made on your phone to iTunes on your computer.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

Go to Store > Authorize this PC while the iPhone is plugged in. Then enter your AppleID credentials and you should be able to sync

The new laptop is already authorized. The iTunes on the laptop has 141 songs...apparently all bought from iTunes. My 4s has 594 songs on it, some of which will no longer play. When I plug in the phone, while iTunes sees the phone, it says it can't read the contents and asks me to do a factory restore, which (i assume) will delete the music on the phone.

Last edited:
Use iExplorer or iFunbox to see if those songs can be extracted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Okay, I'm using iExplorer now. It does show all 594 songs. Can you tell me what the differences between the blue + and the green checkmark along the left side of the songs? Thanks again!!