What's new

Phone Is Locked Up During Upgrade

rkwingo

Reaction score
Several weeks back, I upgraded to the new Apple operating system for my IPhone (an IPhone 4). I believe it was the IPhone 7 o/s. Today while at work, I received another update recommendation (not sure what it was for), so I started the process and set the phone down to do some work. About a half hour later I realized the phone screen was black except for the graphic of an IPhone plug-in cable pointed toward an icon for I Tunes. I don't have ITunes on my work computer, nor am I allowed to download it. In the meantime, I can't use my phone. Even after brief power down, the screen refreshes with the same ITunes and cord icon.

I am assuming I have to wait until I can connect to my PC at home to reach my ITunes portal. It is extremely frustrating that there isn't a process to automatically stop the upgrade if a direct PC connect is not immediately available. Instead, the phone is rendered useless. My cell phone is basically incapable of functioning.

Am I missing something??

Pretty much sums it up. You'll need access to a computer to fix the issue. Depending on which stage your device decided to go into this recovery mode, you may or may not have to wipe your device completely.