What's new

computer and itunes does not recognize phone after IOS 10 upgrade

greatdeals_007

Reaction score
fter upgrading iphone to IOS 10 my PC and iTunes stopped recognizing my phone.
iphone does not show up in device manager or in windows explorer. iTunes indicates invalid response received from device. I really would prefer not to upgrade ITunes.

can someone help me figure out how to fix? where can I find the section to enable my device in windows?.is it a driver issue?

Last edited:
With iOS 10 installed on your iPhone, you need at least iTunes 12.5.1 on your computer. If updating iTunes doesn't help with your problem, remove it from your computer and reinstall it.

It is a driver issue. iTunes 12.5.x has the drivers for iOS 10 and no previous versions do.

What is your problem with an iTunes update? I know there are people who want to manage their phone without using iTunes at all, and I understand why. In the main, they are corporate users who don't want a huge distraction on their employees' computers.

But you are already using iTunes and appear only to have an issue with the latest version.

Why wouldn't you want to update iTunes?

fter upgrading iphone to IOS 10 my PC and iTunes stopped recognizing my phone.
iphone does not show up in device manager or in windows explorer. iTunes indicates invalid response received from device. I really would prefer not to upgrade ITunes.

can someone help me figure out how to fix? where can I find the section to enable my device in windows?.is it a driver issue?
I'm afraid that you don't have a choice. Without updating iTunes, it will never recognize your iPhone. The current version of iTunes is 12.5.3.17 and is available through Apple updates on your PC or directly from Apple.com.

Last edited:
Apple phone customer service had me delete and reinstall iTunes to restore the phone icon.

Yes, I am actually a tech agent for Apple. The best thing you can do is up date the drivers and re install itunes.