What's new

Different name, Same thing.

USA Ice Box....UK Refrigerator
The term "Ice Box" is not as prevalent as it once was, I haven't heard that term since the early 1970's. I've heard refrigerator or fridge most of my life.

Fun fact:
The term "ice box" was derived from the fact that people used to have an insulated box in their homes that held a large block of ice (delivered daily in horse-drawn wagons) and this ice was kept in the ice box to keep food cold.

The term "Ice Box" is not as prevalent as it once was, I haven't heard that term since the early 1970's. I've heard refrigerator or fridge most of my life.

Fun fact:
The term "ice box" was derived from the fact that people used to have an insulated box in their homes that held a large block of ice (delivered daily in horse-drawn wagons) and this ice was kept in the ice box to keep food cold.
Interesting, I thought that term was still used :)

Pram is short for perambulator. It's a way bigger vehicle, used for carrying newborns and all of the equipment they require. There's usually a rack underneath for carrying shopping too. A pushchair is much smaller. The difference is that the ankle-snapper (US-child) within is horizontal in a pram.
There is a kind of off road hybrid version about now, seating up to three infants, called a "buggy".

US *no equivalent* UK chav (I had great fun researching this word first time I heard it.)

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 11.39.26 AM.png

A muffler is only a part of the exhaust. Exhaust is a system of manifolds. Head pipes. Collectors mufflers and tail pipes.
Oh right lol, I never did take my mechanics course ;)

Here in Australia we use a lot of the words either way. Eg., mail, post; fries, chips; hood, bonnet; pants, trousers, etc. Could be due to Australia being geographically, somewhere in between the USA and U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in Australia we use a lot of the words either way. Eg., mail, post; fries, chips; hood, bonnet; pants, trousers, etc. Could be due to Australia being geographically, somewhere in between the USA and U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie English seems closer to UK English at times: bloke, petrol, bonnet and boot and out on its own at others: dunny, shot through, chunder etc.