What's new

Different name, Same thing.

(Canada) Stay-cation (time off work, but not enough money to actually go anywhere so stay home instead)
That one is actually the same here in some areas, I've heard it from childhood in the US.

Has anyone mentioned this one?
US bathroom - UK loo or WC
US "go to the bathroom" - UK "spend a penny" ?

I could be mistaken, since I've never been to the UK, but I've heard it quite a bit over the years.

Also:
US pay raise - UK pay rise

USA Robe....UK Dressing Gown
USA Rubber Boots....UK Wellingtons
USA Kindergarten...UK Nursery

Last edited:
Wow, I knew many of these but there are definitely many I didn't know about. I also find things like this interesting. Being in the U.S. it's really neat hearing the differences. I love tv shows based in the U.K. I never get tired of hearing them talking. [emoji1303]

US subway / UK the tube
US motor home / UK caravan
US trash / UK rubbish
US zip code / UK post code

Sent from my rose gold iPhone 6s Plus via TapaTalk. [emoji173]️

Wow, I knew many of these but there are definitely many I didn't know about. I also find things like this interesting. Being in the U.S. it's really neat hearing the differences. I love tv shows based in the U.K. I never get tired of hearing them talking. [emoji1303]

US subway / UK the tube
US motor home / UK caravan
US trash / UK rubbish
US zip code / UK post code

Sent from my rose gold iPhone 6s Plus via TapaTalk. [emoji173]️
Oh yes...I should have got trash...Having a Mac with a trash bin :)

US fourth UK quarter

This one always confuses me. There can't be many people who don't know that a quarter is a 4th part of something, but I've been corrected more times than I can count for using "quarter" when I'm not referring to money. Quarter in the US and Canada seems to be reserved for a quarter dollar, except (music)...

US quarter note UK crotchet

Last edited:
Interesting, I always thought that was pram in the UK.

Pram is short for perambulator. It's a way bigger vehicle, used for carrying newborns and all of the equipment they require. There's usually a rack underneath for carrying shopping too. A pushchair is much smaller. The difference is that the ankle-snapper (US-child) within is horizontal in a pram.