What's new

Different name, Same thing.

@Poisonivy I've always been curious. Do school children in the UK learn French as a mandatory subject?

Many languages are available for school children here in the USA, but they are optional.

@Poisonivy I've always been curious. Do school children in the UK learn French as a mandatory subject?

Many languages are available for school children here in the USA, but they are optional.
I believe that language lessons are now compulsory from Primary school age so I'm sure that would include French.

USA Station Wagon......UK Shooting Brake

We do tend to call them estate cars rather than shooting brakes here in the UK! The landed gentry probably used the that term a while ago.

There's a lot of different names, A lot more than I thought there was.

Depends on the school. I learned French for 5 years as a compulsory subject. Other schools in the area didn't even have it available. (I should point out I went to school in England, not Canada)

Other languages taught in my school were Latin, Greek, German and Russian. Gaelic is taught in some Scottish and Irish schools.

And just to stay on topic:
US turn on a dime UK turn on a sixpence

Depends on the school. I learned French for 5 years as a compulsory subject. Other schools in the area didn't even have it available. (I should point out I went to school in England, not Canada)

Other languages taught in my school were Latin, Greek, German and Russian. Gaelic is taught in some Scottish and Irish schools.

And just to stay on topic:
US turn on a dime UK turn on a sixpence
It was made compulsory in 2104.

A shooting brake is a very specific type of "estate car/station wagon". It was used for carrying shooting parties. The driver and gamekeeper were up front, and the shooting party sat in the rear on benches facing sideways. This seating arrangement was presumably useful in leaving part of the footwell open for stashing guns.

Not sure about Bog Roll lol.

May as well throw this one in here. One of the very first home computers was the Sinclair ZX81 (yes, I had one. I'm OLD!)

It had a printer available called, unimaginatively, the ZX Printer, and printed a dot matrix on thermal paper, silver in colour.

The rolls of treated paper became known as "the astronaut's bog roll".

US vacation UK holiday (Canada) Stay-cation (time off work, but not enough money to actually go anywhere so stay home instead)