What's new

New iPhone 13

DallasFan

Reaction score
I got a new iPhone 13 this week to replace my SE2. I was tired of the 4.7 inch screen. The SE2 and my previous iPhone 7 had 4.7 inch screens and the Nexus 5 I had before that, was 4.5 inches as well. I was weary of reading the small print and decided to move up in the world. The phone is not much larger, because the screen goes edge to edge. I like it. So far so good.

I was going to wait until after Christmas to buy the phone, but there are so many chip/parts shortages these days, I did not want to wait too long and get caught short later.

I can't believe how much faster the 5G is. When I did a speedtest at home with my SE2 and my 7, I often pulled 35GB, because the tower in my area is only 3G. They installed an additional, 5G tower in my area, last year. I tried a speedtest on my new 13 and it downloaded 506 GB. That's not a typo: 506 GB. And the only thing better than the download speed is that fact that I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan.... :).

A few things are different on the phone. I had to do a google search to learn how to turn it off.

The screen is 1080P, so it is brighter. Youtube videos are clearer.

The functions on the home screen are different.

For some reason, the wifi would not work at home, so I had to call my provider and they input the wifi and mac address manually and it works fine now.

I have 110 apps on my phone and several of them are related to banking and cryptocurrency exchanges. I had to input my user name and password on all of them, so the IP address would be familiar and I would be able to log in with them. Now I need to re-arrange them, so finding and using them will be easier and more logical.

I had to 'buy' a new sim card for the phone. When I was having problems logging into my phone, I called my provider - TMobile - and they said a new sim card would not be necessary, that it could be done electronically with my phone. This was news to me, so it was a pleasant surprise. Anyhow, it did not work, so I went to the local TMobile branch for help. I told the clerk about my dilemma. He looked at me with blank eyes when I told him what the previous individual said about the 13 not needing a sim card. He said that it did not apply to the 13. He inserted a new sim card, downloaded the updates and transferred all 110 apps for me. No charge...:). That was a nice ending for a long day.

When I got home from the store, I put on a clear cover and a screen protector. You gotta protect your investment. I paid $799 for the phone. I have never paid that much for a laptop computer. And I spend infinitely more time on them, than my phone. Anyhow, I plan on keeping the phone for a while, perhaps 3-4 years.

I got the blue version. My first 3,4 cell phones were black, so I am tired of that color. My last one was product red and prior to that, my 7 and Nexus 5 were silver. The blue is a nice update. The pink is pretty, but I would have been the only man in Texas with a pink iPhone. It would be easy to identify as mine, but I decided against the idea....the blue is attractive...:)

I was skeptical of the facial recognition, but I am okay with it now. It's quick.

The battery is far superior in the 13, than the SE2 and the 7. When I had my previous phones, I would have to turn them off at work, when I was not using them, so the batery would last all day. I don't have to do that with the 13.

I have not taken any pics with it yet, but I'll try it out soon.

I am still learning how to use it, but so far, the phone is a home run for me. It is far superior to my previous phones.

So far, so good.

Last edited:
My phone goes to sleep about 5 seconds after I tap the home screen.
Is there a way to extend the time to 15, 30 or even 60 seconds?

I have gone through all the functions and I have not found anything to change the current setting.

Thanks