What's new

Different name, Same thing.

I didn't know they spell tyre with an i.

Also in Canada

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.41.59 PM.png

Just remembered one. Don't have an American translation for it, but Canadians and Brits may be able to assist.

Canadian Pogey UK Giro

I think you mean as in Government benefits? Here is USA it's called Welfare. Or you may be speaking of something completely different. Lol!

Sent from my rose gold iPhone 6s Plus via TapaTalk. [emoji173]️

I think you mean as in Government benefits? Here is USA it's called Welfare. Or you may be speaking of something completely different. Lol!

We were talking about slang terms for what is formally known as unemployment insurance. Welfare is a benefit paid to people below a certain income level who may or may not be employed.

We were talking about slang terms for what is formally known as unemployment insurance. Welfare is a benefit paid to people below a certain income level who may or may not be employed.

Ok, I got what ya mean. [emoji1303]

Slightly off track here. Same word, polar opposite in meaning.

Quite in British English means "somewhat", in American English means "very"

So, "I'm quite annoyed" has very different meanings.

To table an item on an agenda (this one caught Winston Churchill out, apparently.)

To table in British English means to open it for discussion.
To table in American English means to remove it from discussion.

Is cockney slang still a thing? I had a friend once who said "hand me my gregories", and I had no idea what he was asking for. I found out later that "gregories" are eye glasses.

From Gregory Peck, I assume. Peck(s) rhyming with specs.

"Keep your Alans on" is another like that, from Alan Whicker, a BBC program host of some repute.

Whicker rhymes with knickers.

Keep your knickers on = don't get so excited.

Moving away from English, if I may, I'd like to recount a couple of tales. One happened to me. The other I heard about, and I'm sure @J. A. will find it funny.

I was having a break at a highway service area in Belgium. A group of French kids came up to me, some in tears, and asked for help. They were completely lost, having started out on a road trip from Lille. I guess one of them had just got his driver's licence. When they decided to go home, and started looking for signposts, they couldn't find anything to point them in the right direction. That area of Belgium is Flemish-speaking and the sign they should have been looking for was Rijsel. Same town, two names.

The other concerns a Bulgarian trucker. Now Vienna is quite well known, and reasonably recognizable even if you don't speak German, so following signs to Wien is easy. But if you are coming from Bulgaria and you know Vienna by its Hungarian name 'Becs', the last time you'll see that name is on the way out of Budapest. So this poor Bulgarian trucker spent several hours driving around Vienna looking for Becs without realizing he was already there, according to my acquaintance who eventually helped him out.