What's new

Cannot use voice and data simultaneously on Verizon....

Speedlimit

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I understand you cannot use voice and data simultaneously on Verizon. How does that affect the use of 'turn by turn' navigation in IOS6? Can you make a call while using the new Apple navigation app in IO6? thank you in advance?

You will not be able to make a call during navigation, as maps requires a data connection. I've never seen it as a problem on Androids Navigation, since it doesn't ever take too long to re-establish data connection.

Hi and thank you for the reply. I currently have an Android (Evo4G) on Sprint and making a decision concerning the new Iphone 5 or pickup another Android. I have an Ipad and love it and understand the benefits of IO5 and IO6 concerning the syncing of music, calendar etc. I'll be watching closely the early reports from members as they fire up their new 5's. :) Thanks.

Bob

i find it incredibly hard to believe that you cant go online while making a phone call with the 5.... mr razr maxx can do it right now....

ill be rather dissapointed if it cant....

Well the iPhone 4 and 4S cant do it now. So Im sure the iPhone 5 wont be able to also... And every Droid since the frist one released have been able to talk and surf the web on Verizon.. I dont know whats wrong with the iPhones and why they cant

I'll add to the topic....
From what I've researched you can't use Cellular data and talk on the iphones at the same time with Verizon..., but can with the s3 and some or almost all other android devices.
You can however use wifi data and talk at the same time with the iphones on Verizon.
On ATT you can do either way with any device.

I believe that it has something to do with the iPhone 5 antenna system but I could be wrong. I have always been with ATT so simultaneous use of voice and data has always been possible. Its not something that you use all the time but it does come in useful at times.

Well the iPhone 4 and 4S cant do it now. So Im sure the iPhone 5 wont be able to also... And every Droid since the frist one released have been able to talk and surf the web on Verizon.. I dont know whats wrong with the iPhones and why they cant
Niether the 4 or 4S are 4G LTE phones, so those definitely not on Verizon with those.

I believe that it has something to do with the iPhone 5 antenna system but I could be wrong. I have always been with ATT so simultaneous use of voice and data has always been possible. Its not something that you use all the time but it does come in useful at times.

I agree as far using maps and phone together when driving (limited use). My main reason for asking is when using the new Navigation app and a call comes in, will I know? Thanks.

Bob

Your call will come through... yes. It's been that way since the iPhone has been on Verizon & Sprint (the 4 & 4S.) If you're surfing the web, Facebook, YouTube, whatever... and a call comes through. It shows up like a call would any other time. Only in this case, you cannot continue browsing online. The "Phone" portion always takes precedence over "Data."

Your call will come through... yes. It's been that way since the iPhone has been on Verizon & Sprint (the 4 & 4S.) If you're surfing the web, Facebook, YouTube, whatever... and a call comes through. It shows up like a call would any other time. Only in this case, you cannot continue browsing online. The "Phone" portion always takes precedence over "Data."

Great! Thanks!

Bob

You can use voice and data at the same time, if you are on wifi. If not then you can't. Since Wifi is everywhere these days I don't see that as an issue and it will cut down on data if you are on a data package (I'm still unlimited).

When Verizon went to 4gLTE, it became possible to have a receive calls while being on the internet.
I would be surprised if that was not the case with the iPhone 5.

When Verizon went to 4gLTE, it became possible to have a receive calls while being on the internet.

Wait a second. You could always receive a call while you were on the internet, you just couldn't use the internet while on the call. Unless you were using wifi.

It absolutely is not the case with the iPhone 5. You can be on Wifi and do phone calls on the iPhone 5, but you cannot be on LTE and do phone calls at the same time. It has to do with the antennas used within the phones. The Androids that do it have a dual antenna array within the phone that the iPhone 5 will not have. There are already several recent articles about it. One of the downfalls of the phone, but in my eyes, I never had data and phone at the same time, so I won't miss it. All of my Androids and 4S are 3G, so haven't had the capability.