What's new

Sad to say my i5 has to go, no data and voice

Joeli5

Reaction score
I have Verizon and I can't believe the Techs at Apple would drop the ball on this very important detail, to be able to use voice and data simultaneously. Now I have to go back to Android, Oh well guess I'll grab the GS3 and try that on for size.

First, shame on you for not doing your home work. If you are with Verizon, and I assume you are, you should have been aware that CMDA is not capable of voice and data at the same time. Apple has nothing to do with it.

However if you are using WiFi while on a call you can use phone and data at the same time. Just in case you were not aware.

GSM is what AT&T uses and you can use both data and phone. That is if you can get a phone signal. :)

Does the GS3 allow talk/data @ the same time on VZW? I'm like hook above... on AT&T.

Does the GS3 allow talk/data @ the same time on VZW? I'm like hook above... on AT&T.

No. It doesn't matter if it's Android or iPhone. You cannot use voice and data on CMDA. Only time you can is if you have your wifi on.

hookbill said:
Let me back up. That is correct if you are on LTE. But the iPhone should work the same way, I don't know why there would be a difference.
They didnt separate the antennas like the other phones did. Voice and LTE on devices like the GS3 have separate antennas where as the IP5 uses the same antenna so it cant keep both connections open at once. In this case its kinda on Apple for the design.

Last edited by a moderator:
wingzfan61 said:
They didnt separate the antennas like the other phones did. Voice and LTE on devices like the GS3 have separate antennas where as the IP5 uses the same antenna so it cant keep both connections open at once. In this case its kinda on Apple for the design.

Ok... now I remember seeing something about Apple not wanting to clutter w/ another antenna.

Let me back up. That is correct if you are on LTE. But the iPhone should work the same way, I don't know why there would be a difference.
I have LTE in my area, so I thought that it would work because all other brand phones with LTE do. For Apple to not give us this is a travesty. Don't blame verizon, my wife's Droid Bionic and my daughter's Razor does it, my friends GS3 does it. So don't say verizon

Last edited by a moderator:
First, shame on you for not doing your home work. If you are with Verizon, and I assume you are, you should have been aware that CMDA is not capable of voice and data at the same time. Apple has nothing to do with it.

However if you are using WiFi while on a call you can use phone and data at the same time. Just in case you were not aware.

GSM is what AT&T uses and you can use both data and phone. That is if you can get a phone signal. :)

Not totally true.

A SVDO chip will allow simultaneous voice and data. The GSIII has it and I believe the HTC EVO LTE does also. Of course it needs the appropriate antennas to do so also.

Joeli5 said:
I have LTE in my area, so I thought that it would work because all other brand phones with LTE do. For Apple to not give us this is a travesty. Don't blame verizon, my wife's Droid Bionic and my daughter's Razor does it, my friends GS3 does it. So don't say verizon

Well unfortunately because cdma is not as widely used as gsm Apple would have to make 2 separate style phones to accommodate the required antenna leaving us with 2 totally different looking iphone 5's. Thats not really feasible in the real world.

horsehaulin said:
Not totally true.

A SVDO chip will allow simultaneous voice and data. The GSIII has it and I believe the HTC EVO LTE does also. Of course it needs the appropriate antennas to do so also.

Its svlte that does it and yes youd still need a separate antenna.

Lets clear up some facts.

1) GSM only needs one antenna to do voice and data at the same time.

2) CDMA requires two antenna to replicate what GSM does in one.

Now the newer high end Android phones are being made with dual antennas for Verizon. So they can do voice and data at the same time over a cellular connection.

Verizon will be implementing a single antenna design in the next 18 months for LTE phones based on some reports I have read.

Its svlte that does it and yes youd still need a separate antenna.

I have read on a Sprint forum that their phones are using SVDO, talking and surfing 3G. It's not a LTE only option on Sprint, but being that I am on Sprint, 3G is half the speed of dial up in my area, so surfing and talking is pointless at this moment. Hopefully the 5S will have a simultaneous voice and data feature for us CDMA users.

horsehaulin said:
I have read on a Sprint forum that their phones are using SVDO, talking and surfing 3G. It's not a LTE only option on Sprint, but being that I am on Sprint, 3G is half the speed of dial up in my area, so surfing and talking is pointless at this moment. Hopefully the 5S will have a simultaneous voice and data feature for us CDMA users.

Svdo stands for simultaneous voice and data but the actual chip is svlte which stands for simultaneous voice and lte. There probably wont ever be 3g ability because cdma isnt used enough to develop it. The US and Japan are the only 2 countries that really use cdma.

Personally I think the should have left the Hdvoice mic out and added the separate antenna instead. I have At&t and would hate to lose that feature.