What's new

Does simultaneous talk & surf work on VZW iPhone 5, when the phone is using GSM 3G?

jamie_DJ

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to barge in here as a new member and make a thread right away. I cannot seem to get an answer to this question anywhere...

I want to get an iPhone 5 and I'm interested in getting the Verizon version which is unlocked by default. This will allow me to use Verizon in the US and when I'm in Europe, I can use my normal UMTS 3G provider (DC-HSDPA 2100Mhz). Also I live between Florida and the UK 50/50.

I am aware of the limitations of the radio in this handset, and that it cannot do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon due to CDMA EVDO Rev A&B limitations (and that apple did not add another radio & antenna - and VoLTE is not yet available on Verizon). I know about and understand this situation in detail.

What I cannot get an answer on, is that if this phone is used on UMTS/GSM with another carriers sim card (for example AT&T on their HSPA+ network or in Europe on 2100Mhz 3G networks, will the voice and data work simultaneously?

In theory it should do this simultaneously on GSM/UMTS networks as that technology has been in iphones for a few years now so I see no reason why the GSM/UMTS radios were any different.

If anyone has any experience of using a Verizon iPhone 5 on a 3G GSM/UMTS/HSPA, please could you let me know what happens?

(If this post is in the wrong area - please move it).

Many thanks,

Jamo.

Your assumption is spot on. The GSM radio in all iPhone 5s have the ability to do voice and data over 3G at the same time. The rules don't change because it is a "Verizon" branded iPhone.

Yep. The only thing the Verizon phone won't be able to to do on AT&T is LTE. it operates on a different bandwidth.

I have not been able talk and surf at all and I'm on verizon.

Thanks for the clarification. It's an ideal choice then. We also now have 4G LTE on band 3 (1800Mhz) here in the UK so that's another good reason.

I just hope I manage to get one when I come over as they're thin on the ground here in the UK.

Many thanks,

Jamie.