What's new

Sad to say my i5 has to go, no data and voice

Okay I just got off the phone. And I see everybody is correct that you cannot talk and receive data at the same time On the iPhone 5. But I have the bionic for a year and I never once used it For data and for talking on the phone with the same time. If I did I was probably on Wi-Fi. So I'm not going to miss something I didn't use in the first place.

I remember when AT&T was using this to their advantage saying Verizon you can't talk and surf web at the same time in their tv ads. Last time I checked though all the verizon(mostly android) consumers would scoff at that and say"nobody talks on phones anymore, its all texts and IM and studies were done saying that the average call on a cell phone lasts 3 minutes so who cares for your 3 minute phone conversation you cant use data?"

So my question is......What changed? I mean that is kinda true. I hardly ever talk on the phone and when I do it's usually through hands free on my car. I guess using turn by turn while talking and driving would not work. But didnt android start putting turn by turn in a long time ago. I never heard any complaints then. Why now with the iphone. But a short time ago android Verizon users would always say this doesn't matter and now....a few phones can do what AT&T phones did forever and all the sudden now it matters. Meh....my 2 cents
or a long time,

Svdo stands for simultaneous voice and data but the actual chip is svlte which stands for simultaneous voice and lte. There probably wont ever be 3g ability because cdma isnt used enough to develop it. The US and Japan are the only 2 countries that really use cdma.

Personally I think the should have left the Hdvoice mic out and added the separate antenna instead. I have At&t and would hate to lose that feature.

I don't want to derail this thread any more than it is, but the Sprint GSIII and HTC EVO LTE are running voice and 3G data at the same time right now. If Samsung and HTC can do it, I am sure it will be on the 5S. Almost sure.

I don't want to derail this thread any more than it is, but the Sprint GSIII and HTC EVO LTE are running voice and 3G data at the same time right now. If Samsung and HTC can do it, I am sure it will be on the 5S. Almost sure.

The only way for the next Verizon iPhone to have simultaneous voice and data is for Verizon to finish their LTE upgrade or for Verizon to request a third antenna which Apple isn't willing to do due to the engineering constraints with the FCC.

I remember when AT&T was using this to their advantage saying Verizon you can't talk and surf web at the same time in their tv ads. Last time I checked though all the verizon(mostly android) consumers would scoff at that and say"nobody talks on phones anymore, its all texts and IM and studies were done saying that the average call on a cell phone lasts 3 minutes so who cares for your 3 minute phone conversation you cant use data?"

So my question is......What changed? I mean that is kinda true. I hardly ever talk on the phone and when I do it's usually through hands free on my car. I guess using turn by turn while talking and driving would not work. But didnt android start putting turn by turn in a long time ago. I never heard any complaints then. Why now with the iphone. But a short time ago android Verizon users would always say this doesn't matter and now....a few phones can do what AT&T phones did forever and all the sudden now it matters. Meh....my 2 cents
or a long time,

I agree. I think I have surfed and talked once. I've had Verizon since before it was Verizon and this has never been an issue for me. However, I think it's a personal preference desire. I could see it being necessary in the business world and with others. I believe it was know before the phone came out that it wouldn't do voice and data at the same time. I'll be moving to the I5 soon hopefully and will be leaving a device that can do data and voice at the same time. Not a deal breaker for me.

Yea - what we need now is more people to be not only on their cellphones while driving, but to be dividing their attention between talking, surfing and driving. Yikes!

Befuddles me a lot to wonder under just what circumstances (other than possible work related, ie: salesman using net reference while talking to a client) would make a purchase deal breaker with this issue? Can I assume gaming while talking is the basis for this need for many?

To the OP - can you explain your situation so that we can understand (and sympathize with you) exactly what your need for simultaneous data and voice can be that makes it a crucial decision to return your phone? No flame - just curious as I can't seem to grasp what circumstances would require this situation. Don't get me wrong - I use my cell for work every day - both talking to clients as well as checking account status, ordering materials, viewing work related photos and videos, etc.

But I just don't get the need to be doing both at the exact same time. To be blunt - I find my new iPhone5 to be too perfect for my important needs to return it for this one small shortcoming (not my shortcoming - but obviously others).

Curious to say the least...

Last edited:
I've used voice and data to sit in on meetings on the road by calling in and having my laptop connect through the iPhone to the presentation.

Also have used it to look up info while on the phone with someone.

It's definitely a shortcoming of CDMA networks currently until they upgrade. But it's short term and not a huge problem for everyone by any means.

I've used voice and data to sit in on meetings on the road by calling in and having my laptop connect through the iPhone to the presentation.

Also have used it to look up info while on the phone with someone.

It's definitely a shortcoming of CDMA networks currently until they upgrade. But it's short term and not a huge problem for everyone by any means.

Exactly the uses I had in mind while I was typing my previous post.

Joeli5 said:
I have Verizon and I can't believe the Techs at Apple would drop the ball on this very important detail, to be able to use voice and data simultaneously. Now I have to go back to Android, Oh well guess I'll grab the GS3 and try that on for size.

it is not an apple issue it is a verizon issue and no offense but youre either new to verizon or you have been hiding under a BIG rock for quite some time. ive been with verizon for a few years and i can tell you that the entire time that ive been with them they have never supported this feature i left att to go to verizon and that is a feature i miss but you should have done your research before getting the 5 on verizons network if you were looking to talk and surf

poeticvibez07 said:
it is not an apple issue it is a verizon issue and no offense but youre either new to verizon or you have been hiding under a BIG rock for quite some time. ive been with verizon for a few years and i can tell you that the entire time that ive been with them they have never supported this feature i left att to go to verizon and that is a feature i miss but you should have done your research before getting the 5 on verizons network if you were looking to talk and surf

You can do voice and data on verizon so you might be under that rock....

Its both Apple and Verizon issue. Verizon needs to fix their network to handle data/voice on one antenna but until then apple could had done like any 4g android phone on Verizon and had installed two antennas.

Last edited:

Its both Apple and Verizon issue. Verizon needs to fix their network to handle data/voice on one antenna but until then apple could had done like any 4g android phone on Verizon and had installed two antennas.

And had to create a singular phone specifically for Verizon. Not economically feasible.

Verizon just needs to get LTE to support voice... thats the issue

It is statements like these that have NO FACTUAL data to back them up that causes confusion and misunderstanding. So let me clear this up here and now.

1) Apple has NO BLAME in this what-so-ever.

2) Apple already makes three unique iPhone 5. Which is two more than they originally wanted to do. They were forced by a FEDERAL LEVEL AGREEMENT, that was signed by Verizon, that caused this issue.

3) Verizon built their network on 2/3rds of the actual CDMA specification, they helped develop no less, because it was CHEAPER to do it that way.

4) The iPhone 5 CDMA 1429 already has two antennas. It would require a THIRD one to do voice and data at the same time on the Verizon designed network.

5) Verizon will be adding voice to LTE in the next 18 months if their internal reports are to be believed.

Now the reason Apple has no blame in this is because it is physically impossible to put a third antenna in with the proper properties based on the form factor chosen. That is a fact that can not be argued with. You can ask any antenna engineer that has access to the design specification to verify that fact.

The rest I will leave you, the reader, to go research. And if you take the time you will end up learning a great deal about why the consumer ended up with the iPhone 5 radio design of today.

OH and as a side note, Verizon's deal with the FCC allows the 1429 to talk on just about every 3G network on the planet as long as you have the proper SIM. Which in my book is actually a good thing. To bad it came 5 years too late.

It is statements like these that have NO FACTUAL data to back them up that causes confusion and misunderstanding. So let me clear this up here and now.

1) Apple has NO BLAME in this what-so-ever.

2) Apple already makes three unique iPhone 5. Which is two more than they originally wanted to do. They were forced by a FEDERAL LEVEL AGREEMENT, that was signed by Verizon, that caused this issue.

3) Verizon built their network on 2/3rds of the actual CDMA specification, they helped develop no less, because it was CHEAPER to do it that way.

4) The iPhone 5 CDMA 1429 already has two antennas. It would require a THIRD one to do voice and data at the same time on the Verizon designed network.

5) Verizon will be adding voice to LTE in the next 18 months if their internal reports are to be believed.

Now the reason Apple has no blame in this is because it is physically impossible to put a third antenna in with the proper properties based on the form factor chosen. That is a fact that can not be argued with. You can ask any antenna engineer that has access to the design specification to verify that fact.

The rest I will leave you, the reader, to go research. And if you take the time you will end up learning a great deal about why the consumer ended up with the iPhone 5 radio design of today.

OH and as a side note, Verizon's deal with the FCC allows the 1429 to talk on just about every 3G network on the planet as long as you have the proper SIM. Which in my book is actually a good thing. To bad it came 5 years too late.

I'm sorry that I'm not as up on the tech as you.. But it is a fact that you can talk and surf at same time on most Verizon Lte Android devices . Sorry I didn't not realize it took 3 antennas(again sorry for not being as tech as you). As for Iphone5 not having room to install the 3rd antenna that I guess could be true but I'm not a antenna engineer to know for sure. Now Apple not wanting to design the iphone5 with the plan to have a 3rd antenna for just Verizon customers is where I feel they the drop the ball. I know many don't care enough about it but many do.. I was just talking to a guy who switched from At&t and this was his main complaint. If I was Apple, I would want all my customers to have the same experience with using my phone no matter what network they were on .. Which I guess LTE android phone OEM must care enough to do so. How many Verizon Iphone5 do they sell?? I'm sure the number is high enough to had justify the extra design cost.

I'm not here to start any arguments, just letting people know. I really here to learn about the 5.. I really do enjoy all your knowlege Skull one and have since the droid days.