What's new

Verizon 5S and 5C - simultaneous voice & data?

jntdroid

Reaction score
Haven't found this info anywhere, and it's probably too early to know... I was just curious if the 5S or 5C will be able to do simultaneous voice & data over LTE for Verizon. I would imagine the 5C won't, since it's essentially a 5, but would love to see the 5S have this finally - all depends on the antennas I guess!

Lol i asked same thing.. If it doesn't.. I'm going to laugh. Seriously android has been able to for a LONG while.. Since tge the original nexus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Lol i asked same thing.. If it doesn't.. I'm going to laugh. Seriously android has been able to for a LONG while.. Since tge the original nexus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Actually since even the Thunderbolt - the first LTE phone - and the first phone that could do true SVDO over 3G on Verizon.

This is NOT a iPhone issue. And the only reason ANY Android phone can do it is because they installed two physical radios (LTE, 3G) in them. Apple chose to go with one radio only to save battery life.

As soon as VZW deploys the full LTE protocol, all LTE enabled iPhones will be able to do voice and data simultaneously with a firmware patch. That deployment is scheduled to start next year.

This is NOT a iPhone issue. And the only reason ANY Android phone can do it is because they installed two physical radios (LTE, 3G) in them. Apple chose to go with one radio only to save battery life.

As soon as VZW deploys the full LTE protocol, all LTE enabled iPhones will be able to do voice and data simultaneously with a firmware patch. That deployment is scheduled to start next year.

Oh snap...does this mean that you can't turn LTE off in the newer iPhone 5s if you need to use 3G? I just bought a Wilson electronics cell phone booster a few months ago for our lake house and it's 3G. I thought I'd be able to turn LTE off on my phone while there if I wanted to boost my 3G signal. There is barely any signal whatsoever there.

Oh snap...does this mean that you can't turn LTE off in the newer iPhone 5s if you need to use 3G? I just bought a Wilson electronics cell phone booster a few months ago for our lake house and it's 3G. I thought I'd be able to turn LTE off on my phone while there if I wanted to boost my 3G signal. There is barely any signal whatsoever there.

Of course you can turn LTE off and switch to 3G. You will simply not be able to do voice and data at the same time when you do.

Ah, good. Was not looking forward to shelling out another couple hundred bucks for a 4G booster! I just need to be able to make phone calls and do light data stuff while there.

Apple chose to go with one radio only to save battery life.

I should've clarified in my initial question that I was aware of this and was hoping they would change their ways in the 5S, assuming they wouldn't on the 5C. It's only a hassle about 10-20% of the time, but since I've gotten an iPad Mini on Verizon, it's rarely an issue any more (i.e. I can send/receive what I need to while on the phone with a client, for example).

I should've clarified in my initial question that I was aware of this and was hoping they would change their ways in the 5S, assuming they wouldn't on the 5C. It's only a hassle about 10-20% of the time, but since I've gotten an iPad Mini on Verizon, it's rarely an issue any more (i.e. I can send/receive what I need to while on the phone with a client, for example).

VZW was supposed to roll out dual voice/data on LTE this year. But when AT&T started to play catch up in LTE deployment, VZW decided to hit the 98% mark first and then roll out the "complete" LTE protocol. And since VZW hasn't bled enough customers to change its mind, they are still waiting for 2014 to start.