What's new

Before I buy in 3 hours time - I would appreciate some help!

new2ios

Reaction score
Hello. I have never owned an iphone, I currently use a Nexus 1 (have so since launch).

Now, I am making a leap of faith, moving onto iOS. I wanted to find out some things before I make the move to iOS. Greatly appreciated for any help!

(NOTE - these are of course, considering No Jailbreaking)

o What restrictions are there in downloading content from browser? Can I go to any website and download anything I want, like I can with my android?

o What is the support for microsoft office documents. I am assuming adobe reader etc is there as standard?

o How easy is it to get access to watching movies, films, animes etc? Reading manga?

o What is the battery life like for prolonged music listening?

o How easy is it for me to transfer video files to my phone from a PC? Also, does it suffer from lack of support for certain file types?

o Withut JB, what programs/apps do I have to view flash videos? Are they any good? (I watch a lot of flash videos)

I think that covers all my questions! Thank you for your help :)!

Hello. I have never owned an iphone, I currently use a Nexus 1 (have so since launch).

Now, I am making a leap of faith, moving onto iOS. I wanted to find out some things before I make the move to iOS. Greatly appreciated for any help!

o What restrictions are there in downloading content from browser? Can I go to any website and download anything I want, like I can with my android?

o What is the support for microsoft office documents. I am assuming adobe reader etc is there as standard?

o How easy is it to get access to watching movies, films, animes etc? Reading manga?

o How easy is it for me to transfer video files to my phone from a PC? Also, does it suffer from lack of support for certain file types?

o Withut JB, what programs/apps do I have to view flash videos? Are they any good? (I watch a lot of flash videos)

Hello and welcome!

I will try answer your questions as best as I can,

1. What restrictions are there in downloading content from browser? Can I go to any website and download anything I want, like I can with my android?

A. Safari does not let you download anything, ios compared to android is a very closed os so dont expect the same from ios. BUT you can download add ons and other browsers such as Atomic web that allow you to download files like you would with android.

2. What is the support for microsoft office documents. I am assuming adobe reader etc is there as standard?

A. I myself use ibooks for pdfs and iwork for the iphone now as well so you can open those documents but I am sure there are other choices in the app store.

3. How easy is it to get access to watching movies, films, animes etc? Reading manga?

A. Very easy, same as on android I imagine either load the sites on your browser or load it using an app like CineXplayer or using .mp4..

4. What is the battery life like for prolonged music listening?

A. I would say I get about 14+ hours at least of non stop music but I have not tested it until the battery has run out so that is just a guestimate as you could probably get many more hours out of it.

5. How easy is it for me to transfer video files to my phone from a PC? Also, does it suffer from lack of support for certain file types?

A. Very easy, just use itunes but if you are looking to load xvid or other similar file types then you can download xvid players from the app store that have support for many other file types, but with out any of these apps the best file type to use is .mp4

I hope that helps

new2ios said:

Crickey!
Talk about hit the floor running lol!

1) iPhone or more like the browser Safari don't support flash video's, there is another alternative browser does.

2) PDF reader is standard, but you need an app to work on word and exel docs, I use 'my docs to go'.

3) reading apps abound, iPhones like mp4 format, there is a free converter just search the forum.

4) straight movie watching then possible x 3 movies, a lot depends on what else is running like WiFi etc.

5) see 1) above.

6) se 1) above.

7) your welcome 😊

G'day and welcome to the forum!!! :)

Hope if you decide to go Ios that you like it.