What's new

hey i'm new and i got some questions :)

itscaketime

Reaction score
hey everyone :)

i've had my iphone 4 for a while (since november 2010) and i've kept it at iOs 4.1 this entire time haha

i'm looking to jailbreak it soon, but before i do that i am going to try and read up on as much as i can.

for anyone who reads this thread, i have some questions that if anyone can answer would be great
:)

-
can i jailbreak my iphone 4.1 with the current jailbreak software and just follow the directions? (ie using the latest guide to jailbreak: the ios 4.2.1 with greenpoison rc6)

- do i need to do any other additional things?
i've read certain things about saving SHSH info from fixumbrella or something like that, but i don't know a thing about it

- what if i restore my phone to factory settings and then jailbreak it?
the reason why i want to do this is because i think there is some corrupted memory that is taking up space and i don't know how to clear it up

- when i backup my phone in itunes...

- will my contact info be saved? (numbers etc)

- will my in-app downloaded stuff be saved? (manga from manga MF)

- when i finally DO jailbreak my phone, any suggestions on what to get for customization? (any guides, themes, apps to get?)

- any threads that you can post here that'll help?

before i go off and post noobish questions on random threads, i'd like to be as informed as possible so i don't waste anybody's time... i'd hate to be a complete noob coming in here and asking stupid and ridiculous questions that can be answered if i did a little research.

i have more questions, but these'll do for now.

any help is greatly appreciated
:D

thanks a lot!

it's great that you want to upgrade your device, you are going to make it new once again and beleive me, you will like all of it.
1- yes you can jailbreak you iOS 4.1 to the courent version which is 4.3.1 instead of 4.2.1 and like you said, just follow the instructions and that's it, if you are on windows, you can jailbreak it using redsnow untether 4.3.1 or for mac you can use pwnage untether 4.3.1. Follow on screen instructions and that's it.

2- Shsh ing your device will just help you to restore from 4.3.1 to 4.1 in future, in case you will want to degrade the iOS. You should think if you will be going back or not? Personaly i don't think that you will want to go back to 4.1 as all cydia new app are getting update for 4.3.+ and will no longer support earlier version. So no need for shsh, but if you really want to do that, then you can just heat MAKE MY LIFE EASIER in cydia, and install tinyumbrella into your computer and save your shsh into your computer, while degrading from 4.3.1 to 4.1 in future via itune, itune will want to check your actual version of your iOS and will find out that you are on 4.3.1 and so your shsh saved into your computer with tinyumbrella will make itune beleive that you are having 4.1 iOS. And that's the only way you will be able to degrade from 4.3.1 to 4.1, itune by it self never allow degrade of iOS but upgrade. I advice you to read more on internet about shsh before engage yourself.

3- actually with either redsnow or pwnage tools, your will have to restore your phone to factory restore before performing the jailbreak of 4.3.1 and yes it will wipe out all documents, in one word it will format your phone and install a new iOS 4.3.1 on it.

4- when you backup your phone using itune, evdrything will be save in a special folder in your computer, when i say everything, i mean everything, including your settings, contacts, sms, the way you've arranged your home screen, your wallpaper, your notes, your documents, your 3rd party apps from app store, bref... everything will be backuped on a way that after you restore your back up, it will be as if you've never changed the iOS before as you will see everything the way they were.

5- you can read through the forum and you will find many thread talking about jailbreak apps. On time, i mean after jailbreak if you want to know something or facing troubles just let's know it, we will be glad to help you if we can.

6- feel free to ask when you don't know, everyone learning everyday and no one ever finish learning. Again we will be glad to help the way we can. And yes read more about your concerns if you can, most of your questions answers are on google, but i do understand why you might not want to google to find out and that's exactely one of the reasons whg this forum exist.

sorry for my gramar mistakes. I hope it's readable and understandable. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you so much for your help!!!

i appreciate you taking the time to let me know about all my questions

i will definitely take your advice into serious consideration, and it definitely helps a lot.

thanks again!!! :D

You are welcome mon ami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk