What's new

Apple iPhone 5 Release Date Has To Come

And it wont be an iphone 5 , thats the 4s if you count the models to now , it will be just plain iphone
it could still be iphone5 though,who knows with Apple.

Poisonivy said:
it could still be iphone5 though,who knows with Apple.

Or Apple might just call it the "New iPhone", or "iPhone" like they did the new iPad.

I think Apple is too far in with the iPhone number that they would have to continue. I'm sure they would like to call it the iPhone 4G but that would get confusing.

I think Apple is too far in with the iPhone number that they would have to continue. I'm sure they would like to call it the iPhone 4G but that would get confusing.

Any more weird then when the iPhone 3G was released? Plus apple never gave a number on the original iPhone of 2007. It went iPhone / iPhone 3G / ...3GS then the iPhone 4 was really the only one to have just a number with out the G.. Can't wait to see what apple come up with though.

seneca18 said:

Like Windows. I wonder how high that number climb. Up to 8 now. Started with version 2.11. Ended with 3.11 then was given different names.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Like Windows. I wonder how high that number climb. Up to 8 now. Started with version 2.11. Ended with 3.11 then was given different names.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

If memory serves, it was actually Windows 3 that had the first sequential number on the box art. Prior to that the box art only had 286 and 386 on them. But then again, I am old and my memory could be a little off ;)

Skull One said:
If memory serves, it was actually Windows 3 that had the first sequential number on the box art. Prior to that the box art only had 286 and 386 on them. But then again, I am old and my memory could be a little off ;)

You're absolutely correct!

Dont think apple will call any iphone a 4g as they got stung with the new ipad , which only has 4g in the usa and canada , if apple do use the 4g name then i hope the phone uses all known european and asia frequencies ( which were known by apple before the new ipad came out , too lazy to include them so had to remove the 4g term on the site and re sticker the boxes ) just plain iphone will be the name
And AT&T doesn't have true 4G yet for their 4S iPhones and yet they've been calling it 4G. They DO have true 4G LTE for their iPad 3's but in way few cities compared to Verizon LTE which is practically everywhere. So I can't imagine Apple using the term 4G in its name at all given the inconsistencies in 4G LTE coverage between the different carriers.

pianoman said:
And AT&T doesn't have true 4G yet for their 4S iPhones and yet they've been calling it 4G. They DO have true 4G LTE for their iPad 3's but in way few cities compared to Verizon LTE which is practically everywhere. So I can't imagine Apple using the term 4G in its name at all given the inconsistencies in 4G LTE coverage between the different carriers.

Good point! But with my iPhone I have gotten downloads speeds a little past 9mbps down. Do you consider that 3G? Not trying to say it's LTE speeds, but it's not to far off.

Good point! But with my iPhone I have gotten downloads speeds a little past 9mbps down. Do you consider that 3G? Not trying to say it's LTE speeds, but it's not to far off.
No, it's not 3G - its better. But LTE on its 'worst days' gets 15mbps down. On its normal 25-35. That's the point. :). On my iPad 3 on Verizon LTE I regularly see 30.

pianoman said:
No, it's not 3G - its better. But LTE on its 'worst days' gets 15mbps down. On its normal 25-35. That's the point. :). On my iPad 3 on Verizon LTE I regularly see 30.

No argument there. That why I'm looking forward to the next iPhone. I wish they would have integrated LTE capability into the 4S, but I guess the chips weren't quite there yet.

No argument there. That why I'm looking forward to the next iPhone. I wish they would have integrated LTE capability into the 4S, but I guess the chips weren't quite there yet.
I'm not convinced it had anything to do with chips - though implementation of LTE under GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) I've read has different challenges than under CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) - but I'm convinced the absence of LTE on the iPhone 4S had more to do with how slow it's taking AT&T to get more widespread coverage areas with LTE. Simply because of the first two years of contract with AT&T that Apple had - there are still WAAAAAY more iPhone users on AT&T than the other carriers now. SO -- if they'd released LTE for 4S - the Verizon people would have been THRILLED - but the vast majority of iPhone users on AT&T would have been pretty bummed for quite some time to come. But by October of this year - AT&T's coverage with true LTE will be much more expansive. I think it was a good PR move on Apple's part to realize "who" their customer base was/is. And they knew that "mid-year" (Apple release year, that is) they'd be releasing an iPad 3 with true LTE ability built in when you buy a Verizon or AT&T + 4G model. So the decision was easy for me - in Philly - LTE was only available with Verizon - so I got a Verizon one. CRAZY fast speeds. Faster than my home Comcast cable modem some nights. LOL!!

Apple gets to be a hero to EVERYONE by this October - where Oct '11 they'd have made a lot of people just frustrated who have AT&T as their carrier.

pianoman said:
I'm not convinced it had anything to do with chips - though implementation of LTE under GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) I've read has different challenges than under CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) - but I'm convinced the absence of LTE on the iPhone 4S had more to do with how slow it's taking AT&T to get more widespread coverage areas with LTE. Simply because of the first two years of contract with AT&T that Apple had - there are still WAAAAAY more iPhone users on AT&T than the other carriers now. SO -- if they'd released LTE for 4S - the Verizon people would have been THRILLED - but the vast majority of iPhone users on AT&T would have been pretty bummed for quite some time to come. But by October of this year - AT&T's coverage with true LTE will be much more expansive. I think it was a good PR move on Apple's part to realize "who" their customer base was/is. And they knew that "mid-year" (Apple release year, that is) they'd be releasing an iPad 3 with true LTE ability built in when you buy a Verizon or AT&T + 4G model. So the decision was easy for me - in Philly - LTE was only available with Verizon - so I got a Verizon one. CRAZY fast speeds. Faster than my home Comcast cable modem some nights. LOL!!

Apple gets to be a hero to EVERYONE by this October - where Oct '11 they'd have made a lot of people just frustrated who have AT&T as their carrier.

I see your point, but I would have been fine with it. AT&T would eventually caught up or even surpassed the amount of markets they have today. I think Apple was more concerned about how the then LTE chips was not so efficient on battery life. Remember Steve Jobs was still around, and was huge on battery life efficiency. The LTE chips on most of the earlier phone models can't handle HSPA+, or 3G bands like the chips Apple wanted in the iPhone. As a matter of fact they had separate radios, which was worse on the battery. The LTE chips were still to big also, plus Apple was waiting for LTE radios that could efficiently change between 3G& 4G.

I'm not convinced it had anything to do with chips...

It had everything to do with the IC chips. The sub 30nm chips requested by Apple weren't being produced in the 10 million per month yield rate till Jan 2012. December 2011 was the first month Qualcomm even got close to those numbers. And back in July of 2011, the time frame needed for the iPhone 4S' launch in October, the yield rates were sub 1 million because Qualcomm hadn't even perfected the manufacturing process for 28nm.

In fact I predicted Dec 2011 was the earliest anyone could ramp up to Apple's demands back in May or June of last year due to the manufacturing complexity of a 22nm to 28nm LTE based chip.