What's new

A5 Can Now Be Downgraded to 5.x.x

dan448899

Reaction score
No ETA on a public release, but ih8snow has a method to downgrade A5 devices to 5.x.x using some loophole in APTicket that he discovered. Exciting news!

That will certainly make a lot of people very happy.

No ETA on a public release, but ih8snow has a method to downgrade A5 devices to 5.x.x using some loophole in APTicket that he discovered. Exciting news![/QUOT]

If A5 devices can be downgraded........iPhone 4S here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Finally I've been stuck on this 5.1 software trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4s. Def exciting news

Can this be verified? I'm not confident this is possible. And why would we need a downgrade to 5.0.1 if the waiting time to get it out will be the same wait for a 5.1 JB?

You will still need SHSH blobs for this
But they can be found from several net sources, no? You don't have to have saved your own blob do you? Are they unique to each phone's IMEI or something?

pianoman said:
But they can be found from several net sources, no? You don't have to have saved your own blob do you? Are they unique to each phone's IMEI or something?

Yes!!!!!

Each SHSH blob is unique to the device ECID.

You have to save blobs IMMEDIATLEY!!!

Once Apple quits signing an iOS firmware there is no way to get blobs (unless you on an A4 device, and are currently on the iOS that stopped getting signed....then the only way to save blobs is with iFaith)

You cannot just download SHSH blobs anywhere from the net, and you cannot use SHSH from another device.

That is why it's so important to save SHSH ASAP. Always save SHSH with Tiny Umbrella.

If your an A4 device I recommend you save SHSH with literally every single tool that does it.

I always save my SHSH with Tiny Unbrella, iFaith, and redsn0w.

However A5 devices can only use Tiny Umbtrella at the moment.

Yes yes yes....ALWAYS save your SHSH!!! They wont be there for you to save them forever!

And they are unique to your devices ECID...not IMEI....the IMEI number is used for your carriers only, and has nothing to do with your iOS firmware.

Last edited:

You might find it useful to do your research using the stickies on this site :D http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i.../shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-19986/

Can this be verified? I'm not confident this is possible.

Since ih8sn0w is the author of iFaith and sn0wbreeze, I'm pretty sure you can be confident that he knows what he's talking about, regardless of how confident you are personally ;)

Yes!!!!!

Each SHSH blob is unique to the device ECID.
Ah well - that makes ALL the difference doesn't it?

You have to save blobs IMMEDIATELY!!!
Ok.. In the iOS4 world -- I got ISPW files later that didn't require me to save my own SHSH's.. That's why I got falsely secure that I could just get a 5.0.1 later from a IPSW file.. iOS5 is a new baby.
Yes yes yes....ALWAYS save your SHSH!!! They wont be there for you to save them forever!

And they are unique to your devices ECID...not IMEI....the IMEI number is used for your carriers only, and has nothing to do with your iOS firmware.
Ok - I will be forewarned for future iOS5 situations. As I said -the iOS 4 world was different. For each of my updates or downgrading - I simply found an IPSW on the net and it worked on my phone..

You might find it useful to do your research using the stickies on this site :D http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i.../shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-19986/
I've read it several times - it didn't address my specific question here - or I would never have asked it, ;-)

Since ih8sn0w is the author of iFaith and sn0wbreeze, I'm pretty sure you can be confident that he knows what he's talking about, regardless of how confident you are personally ;)
Fair enough - but even the big guys have given us a bum steer or two in the past just to create some buzz. Remember how "soon" they promised a delivery system for A5? There were off by "8" weeks. So I'm just not as confident of the devs "personal word" these days. I respect them - but I think they like the "spotlight" and the hype they can create more than they like "working hard" to achieve something in a timely fashion. It's an ego thing. I get it. They are very gifted. But they should put their gifts to the job at hand and not taking time to make a YouTube video to generate self-agrandizing excitement. ;-)

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Ok.. In the iOS4 world -- I got ISPW files later that didn't require me to save my own SHSH's.. That's why I got falsely secure that I could just get a 5.0.1 later from a IPSW file.. iOS5 is a new baby.
Ok - I will be forewarned for future iOS5 situations. As I said -the iOS 4 world was different. For each of my updates or downgrading - I simply found an IPSW on the net and it worked on my phone..[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? The iOS 4 world was the same exact way (kind of).

You could not just grab an Ipsw and downgrade even that iOS Ipsw was not being signed.

You had to have you SHSH blind in iOS 4 just like you do with iOS 5. Only difference is the iOS 5 SHSH require you to cache and save the APTicket.

That is literally the only difference between iOS 4 & iOS 5 mate. You need SHSH for both firmware versions.

What do you mean? The iOS 4 world was the same exact way (kind of).

You could not just grab an Ipsw and downgrade even that iOS Ipsw was not being signed.

You had to have you SHSH blind in iOS 4 just like you do with iOS 5. Only difference is the iOS 5 SHSH require you to cache and save the APTicket.

That is literally the only difference between iOS 4 & iOS 5 mate. You need SHSH for both firmware versions.

Yes, this is correct. iOS 4 also required SHSH blobs, but APTicket is new to iOS 5. It's possible that pianoman was able to downgrade using cached blobs in Cydia, but you would need to use a utility such as TinyUmbrella. Since 4.0, there has been absolutely no way to downgrade without SHSH blobs. Prior to ih8sn0w's new method, only A4 devices could downgrade because PWNed DFU mode based on Geohot's limera1n exploit was necessary to bypass APTicket used in iOS 5.

Yes, this is correct. iOS 4 also required SHSH blobs, but APTicket is new to iOS 5. It's possible that pianoman was able to downgrade using cached blobs in Cydia, but you would need to use a utility such as TinyUmbrella. Since 4.0, there has been absolutely no way to downgrade without SHSH blobs. Prior to ih8sn0w's new method, only A4 devices could downgrade because PWNed DFU mode based on Geohot's limera1n exploit was necessary to bypass APTicket used in iOS 5.
Exactly. I forgot to mention that in iOS 4 Cydia had all of my SHSH blobs cached. It was very easy to downgrade then. The AP ticket thing is something new in iOS 5. And I'll be the wiser the next time we get an upgrade to the iOS I'll make sure I save the SHSH for that version. Thanks all! Long live our devs!!

What's interesting is, as I look in Cydia right now, it's still showing that it's saving my SHSH blobs for iOS 5. 5.0.1 is listed there. But what you're all teaching me is that because the AP ticket is not saved I'm still out of luck. Correct?