What's new

A5 Can Now Be Downgraded to 5.x.x

pianoman said:
What's interesting is, as I look in Cydia right now, it's still showing that it's saving my SHSH blobs for iOS 5. 5.0.1 is listed there. But what you're all teaching me is that because the AP ticket is not saved I'm still out of luck. Correct?

No....when a device is jailbroken, Cydia automatically saves SHSH for whatever iOS is being signed. And it now saves the APTIcket. (This means that you were already jailbroken while iOS 5.0.1 was being signed).

If Cydia says it has SHSH for iOS 5.0.1, then that means that you CAN use those SHSH blobs, by downloading the SHSH w/ your tool of choice, Create a signed IPSW with either iFaith, or redsn0w, and shift+restore to that custom 5.0.1 Ipsw...(provided you entered PWNED DFU Mode, before restoring).

Yes...Cydia now also saves the APTicket.

Tho it doesn't hurt to use redsn0w to Verify the APTicket is present and valid....but I guarantee that it is.

You should really do your research on SHSH blobs...

Apple fought back the downgrade process by making restores require an APTicket.....the Devs figured that out already....the APTicket is not an issue any more.lol. All current ways to save SHSH blobs, all save the APTicket too.

Last edited:
No....when a device is jailbroken, Cydia automatically saves SHSH for whatever iOS is being signed. And it now saves the APTIcket. (This means that you were already jailbroken while iOS 5.0.1 was being signed).

If Cydia says it has SHSH for iOS 5.0.1, then that means that you CAN use those SHSH blobs, by downloading the SHSH w/ your tool of choice, Create a signed IPSW with either iFaith, or redsn0w, and shift+restore to that custom 5.0.1 Ipsw...(provided you entered PWNED DFU Mode, before restoring).

Yes...Cydia now also saves the APTicket.

Tho it doesn't hurt to use redsn0w to Verify the APTicket is present and valid....but I guarantee that it is.

You should really do your research on SHSH blobs...

Apple fought back the downgrade process by making restores require an APTicket.....the Devs figured that out already....the APTicket is not an issue any more.lol. All current ways to save SHSH blobs, all save the APTicket too.
You can do all the research you want, Zig, it doesn't mean you are gonna have the knowledge of a Dev or of a hacker and to some of u I'm sure it's easy. But I find the articles written here are not always written for the average JB-er. And there's rarely good step by step instructions. So though I'm thankful for your help here (really) and excited I can try 5.1 and then get back to 5.0.1 JBroken again - please don't take a condescending vibe with me. (i.e. --"you should really read more... etc..")

I already told the thread I never had to worry about saving my own SHSH with tiny umbrella in ios4 to assure downgrading (since Cydia was doing it) - and everyone here says NO NO it doesn't work that way - you're screwed if u didn't save them. When I knew darn well I never saved them before and yet easily downgraded. So the Oh yeah Cydia does it for you after JB is something people should have factored into my statements.

K.. Nuff of that -- back to the important stuff. So you're saying that since I was JB at the 5.0.1 level (which everyone would have been on A5's) that we CAN take advantage of this downgrade option that's the subject of this thread?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes.....when the downgrade process is released that.

ih8sn0w's method isn't public yet, but theoretically, it could be used to downgrade the 4S and iPad 2 to 5.0 and 5.0.1 from 5.1 (assuming SHSH blobs for the iOS version in question are saved either locally or by Cydia). Technically it can also be used to downgrade A4 devices, but this is unnecessary because Geohot's limera1n exploit already provides this functionality and unlike ih8sn0w's loophole, cannot be patched.

dan448899 said:
ih8sn0w's method isn't public yet, but theoretically, it could be used to downgrade the 4S and iPad 2 to 5.0 and 5.0.1 from 5.1 (assuming SHSH blobs for the iOS version in question are saved either locally or by Cydia). Technically it can also be used to downgrade A4 devices, but this is unnecessary because Geohot's limera1n exploit already provides this functionality and unlike ih8sn0w's loophole, cannot be patched.

Yeah....thats what this thread is about. And yes....we know it isn't public yet....if it was....everyone would know.

Thanks all! Keep us posted. I'd like to try 5.1 but be able to get back to 5.0.1 JB.

I thought you had SHSH for 5.0.1?
I do. I have 5.0 blobs and 5.0.1 blobs because Cydia saved them for me while JB. I'm on A5 devices, phone & tablet.

Last edited:
pianoman said:
I do. I have 5.0 blobs and 5.0.1 blobs because Cydia saved them for me while JB. I'm on A5 devices, phone & tablet.

Oh...A5. My bad. Hopefully iH8sn0w releases this soon.

Tho I'm not sure if this is enough for me to get a 4S. I have been waiting for a bootrom exploit to get it. That way I can restore to custom Ipsw's.

Oh...A5. My bad. Hopefully iH8sn0w releases this soon.

Tho I'm not sure if this is enough for me to get a 4S. I have been waiting for a bootrom exploit to get it. That way I can restore to custom Ipsw's.
Ah -- there's the answer to the $64,000 question. Am I understanding you correctly that it was a boot rom exploit that enabled the perpetual downgrade ability in A4? (boot rom as opposed a software exploit)... Then if yes to that - the great thing about iH8sn0w's find here is that it's ALSO a boot rom exploit that will open up IPSW custom builds using 5.x.x blobs for us A5 people all the way thru iOS 5 updates perpetually??? If so - how exciting...

pianoman said:
Ah -- there's the answer to the $64,000 question. Am I understanding you correctly that it was a boot rom exploit that enabled the perpetual downgrade ability in A4? (boot rom as opposed a software exploit)... Then if yes to that - the great thing about iH8sn0w's find here is that it's ALSO a boot rom exploit that will open up IPSW custom builds using 5.x.x blobs for us A5 people all the way thru iOS 5 updates perpetually??? If so - how exciting...

I highly highly doubt there is a bootrom exploit for A5.
iH8sn0w said there is a loop hole in the APTicket system allowing A5 devices to be downgraded.....that's something entirely different from a bottom exploit for A5 devices.

(tho a bootrom exploit is why A4 devices can restore to a custom Ipsw)

There is still no bottom exploit. If there was...there would be a tethered jailbreak for A5 devices.

The iPhone 4 (A4 devices) will always have a jailbreak no matter what new iOS comes out...this is why tethered jailbreaks are released so quickly.

This is because the A4 chip has a bootrom exploit that can always be used to jailbroken. Sometimes it takes a little time to get an untethered...but the tethered jailbreaks are released almost immediately after a new iOS is released...for this reason.

Last edited:
zig is right, no bootrom exploit at all, the method uses a loophole in the APTicket system. It is still an exploit, but you can hardly even call it that.

zig is right, no bootrom exploit at all, the method uses a loophole in the APTicket system. It is still an exploit, but you can hardly even call it that.
Ah ok. Makes sense. But the effect is the same in that for A5 devices here out - we'll always be able to downgrade. Right?