What's new

3GS- restore - downgrade - uprade

markasanderson

Reaction score
I run a 4s which has been jail broken and I'm very happy with it.
My wife is having my old 3GS, but I need to take it back to factory status (as it was when I first got it)
When I plug it into iTunes and try to restore, it fails, and gets stuck in DFU mode. I can kick it out of DFU using tiny umbrella.
I have 4.3? Soft wear on my PC so I tried Shift/restore and just came up with error codes. Same when I tried 5.0.1 which I also have on my PC.
All I am trying to do is remove the jailbreak and wipe the phone so she can start afresh.
Any advice? Anybody?

Thanks
Mark.

Just got error 11, I think it is just making up error codes.

16xx errors happen when restoring custom firmware, just do a factory restore and make sure you aren't blocking apples servers in your hosts file

Try reinstalling iTunes. If that fails create a new user account on your computer and install itunes on that account...

It looks like I've done it people, I removed the tick from tiny umbrella that directed to Cydia host. Then did shift restore on 4.3.3. And it looks like its doing it.
Will let you know when it's done if it is fully successful.
Cheers
Mark

Spoke to soon, the apple logo came on the phone and a status bar got to half way, then stopped and I got error 1015.
Will try new account on iTunes as suggested.

Still locked into DFU mode. I'm getting stressed, tried many YouTube methods and none are working. Because its in DFU I can't find out what base band, etc it's on. So I don't know what to download. Aarrgggggggg.

I've always gotten out of dfu mode by hold the sleep + home button for 10 or so seconds.

Try a different computer that hasn't ever had tiny umbrella installed.

Try factory resetting it using a different account or better a different computer.

Thanks for the advice, I will put iTunes onto a different PC and try that tomorrow, Will it matter that when I plug it in the phone is stuck in DFU?

Thanks for the advice, I will put iTunes onto a different PC and try that tomorrow, Will it matter that when I plug it in the phone is stuck in DFU?

Don't put your iTunes in another computer, simply download a new iTunes exe from Internet and install it on the new computer, the iTunes and computer you are now going to use should have never sync with your iPhone. Just connect your iPhone when you ready and select restore. I think it will work fine then.