What's new

you were once in my shoes.

hurricanes52

Reaction score
I had a jail broken iphone 4. but it was baseband 3.10.1 i think? which is not unlockable yet. i was strapped for money and sold the i4. i now acquired an iphone 3g for FREE running version 3.1 (7c144) with Modem firmware 5.11.07 which to my knowledge is unlockable and can be jail broken too right? i tried to take the easy way out and on the 3g phone went to jailbreakme.com and it said my OS was to old that i needed to upgrade my OS.

If i upgrade how can i upgrade to 4.2.1 or whatever the the newest one is and STILL PRESERVE THE MODEM FIRMWARE SO I CAN UNLOCK THE PHONE. i have NO INTENTIONS AT ALL OF USUING ATT OR VERIZON SERVICE i will be using Simple mobile, (OMG! Simple Mobile), they resell tmobile service at whole sale. i pay 60/mo including taxes for unlimited everything as opposed to 99mo BEFORE taxes and THEY BOTH USE THE same exact towers, so im not getting any better or worse service, just the same exact reception/service i was getting when i was with tmobile, which i had no problems with.

basically to cut to the chase, how do i upgrade the OS while preserving the baseband so i can unlock the phone to use on the carrier of my choice. Can i use the newest OS out, or do i i need to use a specific OS? and how do i preserve my baseband. i am new to iphone this is my first iphone i have ever tried to hook up so im a total noob. however i am an android expert, but that irrelevant in this thread, anyways any and all help is apprecaited guys! thanks in advance!!

I live in Ontario Canada and I was always raised to take off my shoes once you get inside someone's house. It makes sense to me because you don't track dirt all over the carpet plus I find it more comfortable on my feet anyway. But I've heard some people, especially Americans consider this weird and I've heard it being called "going Japanese" as if it's some weird foreign practice.

I live in Ontario Canada and I was always raised to take off my shoes once you get inside someone's house. It makes sense to me because you don't track dirt all over the carpet plus I find it more comfortable on my feet anyway. But I've heard some people, especially Americans consider this weird and I've heard it being called "going Japanese" as if it's some weird foreign practice.

what are you smoking? i want some

the iphone 3g is unlockable for life. plus if your on firmware too old just upgrade then put the ipad baseband and unlock it via pwnage tool..

Don't upgrade to the iPad baseband. That's only advisable if the baseband your currently on isn't unlockable (yours can be unlocked).

I wouldn't advise to upgrade to iOS4 on a 3G. It can be very laggy and slow. 4.0 and 4.0.1 are the easiest to jailbreak as these are the firmwares that can be used with jailbreakme. However if you upgrade to the stock versions of either you will need the iPad baseband to unlock. I belive that the 3.1.3 baseband is the latest you can upgrade to and still be able to unlock. Please double check first

If you still want to upgrade to iOS4 what you need is a custom ipsw. You can create them via pwnagetool on mac or snowbreeze on PC. I've never used either so I don't know how to change the basebands. In any case you will need the stock firmware file from apple. The first link is for 3.1.3 the second is for 4.0.1 for the 3G...

iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

iPhone1,2_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw

Don't upgrade to the iPad baseband. That's only advisable if the baseband your currently on isn't unlockable (yours can be unlocked).

I wouldn't advise to upgrade to iOS4 on a 3G. It can be very laggy and slow. 4.0 and 4.0.1 are the easiest to jailbreak as these are the firmwares that can be used with jailbreakme. However if you upgrade to the stock versions of either you will need the iPad baseband to unlock. I belive that the 3.1.3 baseband is the latest you can upgrade to and still be able to unlock. Please double check first

If you still want to upgrade to iOS4 what you need is a custom ipsw. You can create them via pwnagetool on mac or snowbreeze on PC. I've never used either so I don't know how to change the basebands. In any case you will need the stock firmware file from apple. The first link is for 3.1.3 the second is for 4.0.1 for the 3G...

iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

iPhone1,2_4.0.1_8A306_Restore.ipsw

im so confused here. what do i do after i download rhw 3.1.3 you linked? what if i upgrade through itunes what happens?

if you upgrade in itunes you will be put on firmware 4.2.1 that cant be unlocked..

Gaz is right dont upgrade it on the 3g.. ios 4 sucks on the iphone 3g and you will regret it.

if you upgrade in itunes you will be put on firmware 4.2.1 that cant be unlocked..

Gaz is right dont upgrade it on the 3g.. ios 4 sucks on the iphone 3g and you will regret it.

so once i download the 3.1.3 firmware how do i get it on my phone?

save your shsh blobs then create custom fw with pwnage tool

No need for SHSH on a 3G. I'm not 100% sure if the 3.1.3 baseband can be unlocked but I believe it can. Again, please check yourself first. If it can then all you need to do is hold shift on your keyboard (windows) while clicking on restore in iTunes. Then you can show iTunes the 3.1.3 firmware file you downloaded.

If the 3.1.3 baseband can't be unlocked only then will you need to create a custom ipsw using snowbreeze (windows) or pwnage tool (mac). I don't know how to make custom ipsw but there are plenty of tutorials on google/YouTube...