What's new

Do i need to preserve my baseband if my phone is factory unlocked?

davegurn

Reaction score
Hi all

Im about to recieve a 3gs an i've done alot of reading and i know if i want to upgrade my ios and still be able to unlock my phone then i need to preserve my baseband. But my phone is factory unlocked so does that mean i can update to the latest jailbreakable ios and then jailbreak it without worrying about preserving my baseband? Is jailbraking baseband specific?

Thanks for any help.

If your iPhone is truly "Factory Unlocked" then updating will not affect the Unlock what so ever. Jailbreaking relies solely on what iOS version you're running. The most recent iOS release being 5.0.1 does have an untethered Jailbreak.

Ok thanks thomas, well its advertized as "factory unlocked" and i know theres alot of scams out there as far as people passing off software unlocked phones as factory unlocked but i have a 30 day warranty so if its not i will send it back.

So just to confirm as long as i don't need to software unlock my phone, then i don't need to worry about the baseband and i can always update to the latest ios and baseband and jail break my phone without any problems (aslong as a jailbreak for that ios has been released)?

And do you think an easy test for if my phone is truely factory unlocked is to update to ios 5.0.1 and if i dont lose my unlock then its factory unlocked?

Thanks for the help mate.

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you don't need a software (ultrasnOw) or hardware (Gevey Sim) then there's no need to worry about your Baseband when updating.
So just to confirm as long as i don't need to software unlock my phone, then i don't need to worry about the baseband and i can always update to the latest ios and baseband and jail break my phone without any broblems (aslong as a jailbreak for that ios has been released)?
The best way to know if your phone is NOT factory unlocked, but relying on one of the previous I mentioned, it will come already Jailbroken and have ultrasnOw installed via Cydia.
And do you think an easy test for if my phone is truely factory unlocked is to update to ios 5.0.1 and if i dont lose my unlock then its factory unlocked?