What's new

Need help to clarify some basic things

w07t3k

Reaction score
Hi
I've been having some problems with my jailbroken iPhone 4 with 4.3.3. on it. I decided to restore to factory settings and then update to iOS 5 and jailbreak my device again. The question is how to do it correctly? Can I just restore it in iTunes, update to iOS 5 and jailbreak? I've been reading about this recently and many people say a lot of things about baseband, preserving it etc. Does it mean that I won't be able to jailbreak my iPhone if I update firmware (and baseband as well) in a wrong way?
There are hundreds of helpful guides on the Internet but I didn't find any which would explain to me such basic things.
I know I lack elementary knowledge but I couldn't find anything.

My baseband is 04.10.01 if this can help.

Thanks for your help

For a quick explanation... just update your phone in iTunes. This will wipe your current Jailbreak and update your Firmware to iOS 5. Then you'll only be able to do a "Tethered" Jailbreak using redsn0w. However... most Cydia apps aren't iOS compatible yet. So... you might think about re-jailbreaking your iPhone and holding off for the "Untethered" Jailbreak & Cydia apps to be fully compatible w/ iOS 5. Unless that doesn't concern you. Hope this helps.

Hi
I've been having some problems with my jailbroken iPhone 4 with 4.3.3. on it. I decided to restore to factory settings and then update to iOS 5 and jailbreak my device again. The question is how to do it correctly? Can I just restore it in iTunes, update to iOS 5 and jailbreak? I've been reading about this recently and many people say a lot of things about baseband, preserving it etc. Does it mean that I won't be able to jailbreak my iPhone if I update firmware (and baseband as well) in a wrong way?
There are hundreds of helpful guides on the Internet but I didn't find any which would explain to me such basic things.
I know I lack elementary knowledge but I couldn't find anything.

My baseband is 04.10.01 if this can help.

Thanks for your help

Preserving your baseband at 04.10.01 is only important if you need to unlock a carrier locked phone (currently only possible with the gevey ultra SIM). If all you want to do is install IOS5 and jailbreak your phone, and you don't need it unlocked then you are fine. Don't worry about preserving the baseband. Not doing it will not prevent you from jailbreaking in the future.

Hope that helps.

Alright, thanks guys. It seems that my iP4 is factory unlocked so I don't need to be so cautious about all this baseband stuff.

But now I have another problem now. I saved my SHSH blobs in TU, turned 'TSS Server' on and launched restore in iTunes manually. Unfortunately, it says that "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1)". My iPhone is now in recovery mode.
What can I do about it?

w07t3k said:
Alright, thanks guys. It seems that my iP4 is factory unlocked so I don't need to be so cautious about all this baseband stuff.

But now I have another problem now. I saved my SHSH blobs in TU, turned 'TSS Server' on and launched restore in iTunes manually. Unfortunately, it says that "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1)". My iPhone is now in recovery mode.
What can I do about it?

Download latest redsn0w beta (see jailbreaking methods sticky if you need the link), run it, then use the "Exit Recovery" option in the "Extras" menu.

BUT, you shouldn't be using TU to restore 5.0...

I'm restoring to 4.3.3.
It doesn't help. During this operation in redsn0w, there is a reboot and then it shows "No identyfing data fetched". After that I can see that iPhone is backlit but there is nothing on the display so I press power button and I'm again in recovery mode...

OK, suggest you restore 4.3.3 again, and make sure of the following:

1) Start TSS Server in TinyUmbrella
2) Start iTunes
3) Get iPhone into DFU Mode - THIS IS CRITICAL - Use our guide here if you need help, but it's the same process you have been doing in redsn0w.
4) In iTunes, click OK when it recognises the device in recovery mode, then shift-click "Restore" (option-click on OSX), and select the 4.3.3 firmware you have downloaded.
5) IF the process errors out again (and it will likely do so), then use redsn0w > Extras > Exit Recovery - YOU NEED AN INTERNET CONNECTION FOR THIS TO WORK.

That should get it back to 4.3.3 and out of the recovery loop. Try and different USB port if step 5 hangs. It can take a few seconds so don't rush it, but it should not hang for more than a minute or two.

Now it got stuck during restore. I tried to unplug my iPhone and start it again but it gets stuck over and over again.

Any suggestions? It getting pretty annoying I have to say..

You should never pull the plug on it... You wait for the error code as that tends to tell you what the problem is...

If you are restoring 4.3.3 I EXPECT it to stall for a while when it tries to restore the baseband, then it will error out probably with an iTunes error 1, end up in a recovery loop, and then you should perform step 5. That's all expected behaviour.

Sounds like you need to be a little more patient.

It's been stuck for more than a half an hour now so I think there's no point waiting any longer.
I've already had a couple of iTunes errors at the end of restore but if it got stuck at all, it were only a couple of seconds, not half an hour. The whole restore lasted about 10 minutes.

Sounds like you may have PC issues then. Check your cable, try a different USB port, and make sure you are not using a USB hub.
Ensure anti-virus / malware is temporarily disabled too.

OK, suggest you restore 4.3.3 again, and make sure of the following:

1) Start TSS Server in TinyUmbrella
2) Start iTunes
3) Get iPhone into DFU Mode - THIS IS CRITICAL - Use our guide here if you need help, but it's the same process you have been doing in redsn0w.
4) In iTunes, click OK when it recognises the device in recovery mode, then shift-click "Restore" (option-click on OSX), and select the 4.3.3 firmware you have downloaded.
5) IF the process errors out again (and it will likely do so), then use redsn0w > Extras > Exit Recovery - YOU NEED AN INTERNET CONNECTION FOR THIS TO WORK.

That should get it back to 4.3.3 and out of the recovery loop. Try and different USB port if step 5 hangs. It can take a few seconds so don't rush it, but it should not hang for more than a minute or two.

I got through restore with an error at the end, launched recovery fix from redsn0w but it got stuck at "exploiting with limera1n". So I pressed "back" and started it again. It went smoothly but at the end it showed "No identyfing data fetch". After that I could only press "back" or "cancel". I'm still unable to exit recovery mode.

I finally managed to restore my iPhone.
All I had to was to turn off and on Tiny Umbrella after seeing iTunes error and before launching "fix recovery" in redsn0w.
Thanks for your help (and patience).

I've got some additional questions:

1. In iTunes it says that about 0,74 GB of iPhone's capacity is used by "Other". What does it actually mean? Before restoring my iPhone it was about 1,75 GB so I thought it was used by Cydia aps etc. Can I do something about it?
2. Is it true that once you upgrade to iOS 5 there's no coming back?
3. Would be possible to change tethered jailbreak to untethered when it's released without restoring?
4. Is there a better way to upgrade jailbroken firmware (for instance from 4.3.3. JB to 5.0) without restoring?

I finally managed to restore my iPhone.
All I had to was to turn off and on Tiny Umbrella after seeing iTunes error and before launching "fix recovery" in redsn0w.
Thanks for your help (and patience).

I've got some additional questions:

1. In iTunes it says that about 0,74 GB of iPhone's capacity is used by "Other". What does it actually mean? Before restoring my iPhone it was about 1,75 GB so I thought it was used by Cydia aps etc. Can I do something about it?
2. Is it true that once you upgrade to iOS 5 there's no coming back?
3. Would be possible to change tethered jailbreak to untethered when it's released without restoring?
4. Is there a better way to upgrade jailbroken firmware (for instance from 4.3.3. JB to 5.0) without restoring?

Glad you got it restored.

Here's some quick answers -

1. It's any "other" files that fall outside the other categories. These could be documents, etc. It depends what apps you have on your iPad and what other things you are storing on there. Hard to tell...
2. No. If you have SHSH Blobs you can restore a previous version of IOS on the iPhone. (The "iPad2 3G" is currently the only devices where if you go to 5.x you can never get back to 4.x - Notcom is working on a fix for that too). Bottom line is you must have SHSH blobs though.
3. It has been possible in the past, but it will depend on the tool / method. We won't know for sure until it gets released.
4. No. You can't update jailbroken devices from 1 JB version to another. A restore is always required. All you can do is make it simpler to restore by using tools like PkgBackup which will help you get all your Cydia apps and settings back after a restore.

Last edited: