What's new

Why would you get a Blackberry?

easy2putt

Reaction score
I was just issued a BB Bold 9650. It is a well made device and feels very nice in your hands. I like the smooth tracksquare thingy too..better than the trackball..but anyways.

The only reason I have it is that:

1. My work required me to use it as for the secure connection through the office Outlook and BES network.

2. I got it for free (see above from work)

BUT, besides that it seems many BB users get very defensive if I compare the iPhone 4 and the BB. To me, what can you possibly compare between the two. We are talking big a$$ apples to oranges here..am I wrong?

You answered your own question.
A ) you got the 9650 for free so decision was not yours to make
B) it is your company requirement

I have owned 3 blackberries before purchasing iPhone version 1, and 2 I loved the blackberry for emails etc but frankly as I pay the bills the cost of unlimited email plans was prohibitive for a small business user under contract.

The cost of ownership with the iPhone is lower as one can have push email without a contract. The ease of use of the iPhone with out question sold me also the simple integration to the Mac platform. I did not need both a blackberry plus an iPod to play the music from iTunes and i wanted also the choice of apps which is a major benefit for me at least. the cost saving in not having to have a gps as well as a phone is a plus.

I use the iPhone as a business tool also the iPad as the choice of business apps is amazing.

I found the iPhone could do every thing I wanted on a prepay plan including push emails plus have access to iTunes, music , apps movies etc etc.

The blackberry phones are more for corporate however with the new iOS 4.2 many corporations are switching. This comment made is not just in Australia but world wide.

Rim make excellent products and as the saying goes if the shoe fits wear it. If however you had to pay for a new phone and you could access your companies network with out issues what would you buy?

Last edited:
If however you had to pay for a new phone and you could access your companies network with out issues what would you buy?

Exactly, yes, I'd buy my own iP4 if this was possible. Not sure what technology makes BB so exclusive to companies email security..I'd love to be given an iP4 for work..that would REALLY answer everything.

Garmin does have a gps module for Blackberry, although it costs $100. But I prefer a separate gps unit than using the iphone 4. I also have a golf gps, and I can throw it around in my golf cart cup holder, rather than using the delicate iphone 4.

there are plenty of web sites just like it that advertise on tv.

2 different smart phones for 2 different uses. I like my iPhone more for it's UI, stylishness, it's ease of surfing and I like BB's because they are great machines for the professional.

2 different smart phones for 2 different uses. I like my iPhone more for it's UI, stylishness, it's ease of surfing and I like BB's because they are great machines for the professional.

..I know..everyone says they're great device for the professional..BUT can someone expand on this..please..as I have the BB Bold 9650 issue to me from work..but the only thing it does that the iPhone can't is retrieve my companys' email..is that the only reason why the BB is a "great machine for the professional"..? I would love it if my work allowed us to use the iPhone..heck..I'd use my own and save the company money..

The iPhone can retrieve your email just does not do it like the BB which is on demand I guess it is about security of networks which is why up to now the BB is choice for corporate. However in saying that the iPhone is now accepted by more corporations than ever before. I have owned 3 BB over the years however I have found the cost of ownership with the iphone is much lower as no locked in email contracts are needed. Keep in mind also it was not until the iPhone 4 came out that it became serious competion with the BB phones.

Last edited: