What's new

Blackberry user here: should I switch?

Ive had a 3g, 3gs and now 4g iphone too...... Got a Macbook, and iPad.... so I really like apple stuff.....

But ever since the day the pearl, launched from BB its the only device that is no matter what with me...... pearl, 8800, 8310, 8900, 9000, and now 9700

Dont get me wrong, the iphone is brilliant and does everything i need it to in so many great ways.....

But you'll never catch me without my BB

i think you have to change it
1. The e-mail is great when it actually...well...works. I had a bold for a year and a half and while I didn't use it for a lot of e-mail I still appreciated its ease of use. Unfortunately, and I'm not the only one who's experienced this problem, when the iphone moves throughout different service areas, 3G, edge, wifi etc., it no longer pushes email from gmail or yahoo to your phone. You have to manually access it to receive new messages. I don't know why this happens but I googled it and others have experienced the issue as well.

2. When it does work its really great. No problems syncing gmail yahoo hotmail etc.

3. Not a big user of outlook but I know I used Microsoft Contacts to get my contacts from my computer to the phone and vice versa with no problem.

4. Never use bluetooth

Email works perfectly for me, a different tone is played to identify between a text or an email etc and I receive emails instantaneously!

As previously mentioned I don't think you can make an informed decision without trying it, perhaps you could take both phones out to work and set the iPhone to receive your emails and see which one receives them faster?

I've just given my dad a bb pearl for his birthday as he always wanted one and in 3 days he is on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I sell phones for a living but I cannot get my head round the blackberrys. I'm sure they are the best at what they do but god they are frustrating to use!

i think since you are a black berry veteran, you would love the torch. bb are good phones in terms of business phones. and also if you're looking for a battery to last you, then the bb is reliable when it comes to your job. they are even the standard issued phone at my work. however, i personally love the iphone more (hence why i'm on this forum). the iphone can do way more but probably isn't the best phone for a truly professional business. anyone is welcome to argue that if they want. just an opinion.

I tried the iPhone today in the store and loved the look and feel of it....even felt like I could get used to that virtual keyboard. However, I was very disappointed with the calendar. A major part of my weekly scheduling is made up from recurring appointments - some of them every weekday, others on various days of the week. I couldn't believe there wasn't the option to simply select which days a recurring appointment falls on. There were a few presets, but not even the most obvious one for business, "every weekday." You could select every day, or every week, or every month etc. Can't believe they left out such basic functionality!

I tried the iPhone today in the store and loved the look and feel of it....even felt like I could get used to that virtual keyboard. However, I was very disappointed with the calendar. A major part of my weekly scheduling is made up from recurring appointments - some of them every weekday, others on various days of the week. I couldn't believe there wasn't the option to simply select which days a recurring appointment falls on. There were a few presets, but not even the most obvious one for business, "every weekday." You could select every day, or every week, or every month etc. Can't believe they left out such basic functionality!

Yeah I noticed that too. So I'm using my gmail calendar and it's synced with my iPhone. So items that are on certain days on my schedule and repeating I input it in my gmail calendar and it automatically puts it on my calendar on my phone.

It was a Minor issue to for me but definitely not a deal breaker. Especially all the other things the iPhone had compared to other phones I looked at.

I've been a BB user 3 phones deep, and since I've switched to iPhone - I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. The plans are about the same price, but the iPhone is basically a computer in your pocket. Capabilities are endless.

It's so much faster than BB it's ridiculous.

Email is seamless, it supports various types of email. You can configure email for yahoo to gmail, and MS Exchange, and others. Loading attachments is simple. No hourglass that seems to rotate endlessly. It's ideal for someone who runs a business. Yes it does have push email. You can set it for various intervals as well. Also, Syncing your emails is really simple.

The battery life to be honest is not as good as BB, but if you're at your desk most of the time - it's not hard to just plug it in while you work. It charges pretty quickly, so by the time you're back from a meeting it's ready.