What's new

Which Carrier iPhone 4S will be better?

Quicksilver7714 said:
I know that you could buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and it would work on T-mobile but you will not receive 3g speeds because T-mobile uses a proprietary 1700Mhz range to broadcast its 3G data. The iPhone has a quad-band GSM radio and does not include this range. So as stated above you will only receive 2G data speeds (Edge network).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I wonder why T-Mobile didn't get the iPhone this round. I guess because of the GSM bands not including T-Mobiles 3G radio bands.

i think they didnt get it because att was planning on getting tmobile....

and ok thanks for the helps with the unlocking i guess.

That's a good point. I don't think that the the the merger of T-mobile ATT will go through in court.

There is a common misconception with the iPhone 4 in which many users believe that they have a 4G device when the iPhone is only a 3G device. Yes Sprint has a 4G network but the iPhone 4S is only a 3G device. It Can Not connect to the faster wimax connection that sprint has.

Both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are 3G phones.

At&ts 4s will be 4g running off their hspa+ network

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

so the att 4s will have 4g and the other cdmas only 3g ? i am going towards the att plan but their limit is only 4gbs of, data, how long you think that will actually last? since i will have no messaging i plan on using textfree with voice or google plus. i think i rather be on the safe side and use sprint for unlimited everything. i think sooner or later they will be able to unlock it with ease so i can use it with att if needed to

It all depends on how much you use your phone. I am on 3g with my Droid and I average about 2GB per month. That's when I don't use Netflix. Netflix uses about 1GB of data per hour. All the web browsing and youtube videos add up fast. Currently I am at almost 5GB of data usage this month. Just know that with faster speeds you can load websites faster so you will most likely meet your data quota faster.

Also this month I had a Droid Bionic for 2 weeks. Its a Verizon 4G phone. And as you asked for a data usage example, I used 2GB of data in the first two days between netflix, youtube, web browsing and forum usage.

I am not sure how Sprint will charge you for tethering if you plan to use that but last year when I was tetherning my Droid to my PC for internet I was averaging 4.5GB per month. That was before I had netflix. Now with ATT that 4GB limit is for total data usage, both on phone and tethering, for one price.

Last edited:
wait the att 4gb is also free tethering? i dont plan on using tethering but when i go on road trips in my car. seeing that i have a ipod video connection in my car i tend to use netflix and i useally do it at least once a month. i think i might be getting sprint after all. and my girlfriend. uses her phone like i do my computer. she does everything on it -_- so i know she will use data like crazy. thanks for that fact filled post quicksliver !

Left Verizon 25 months ago to be able to get an iPhone. 25 months of torture with lousy reception, even at home. Only reason for the extra month on contract was the new phone coming out. We had Verizon for the previous 15 years and never had a reception problem, even when taking cross country roadtrips. I don't even want to talk about last January's road trip to FL with ATT.

I have Sprint and it has been great having no overages ever and not worrying about the speeds being slowed down.

if you look at the original apple designs the gsm is the only one with the sim card. the cdma does not have a slot for a card. good luck

Left Verizon 25 months ago to be able to get an iPhone. 25 months of torture with lousy reception, even at home. Only reason for the extra month on contract was the new phone coming out. We had Verizon for the previous 15 years and never had a reception problem, even when taking cross country roadtrips. I don't even want to talk about last January's road trip to FL with ATT.

ive done road trip to FL this summer and i had great service on my iphone 4 with att. maybe had 1 dropped call the whole trip. but i am going with sprint now for the reason stated below.

I have Sprint and it has been great having no overages ever and not worrying about the speeds being slowed down.

i love it. even though it was about 15 bucks more i am getting unlimited everything as compared to att which was only offering 700 mins with 4gb data and no messaging.... Sprint ftw

if you look at the original apple designs the gsm is the only one with the sim card. the cdma does not have a slot for a card. good luck

well when i was looking at what sprint was giving with the iphone in the box. they clearly stated sim card inserted. so you are wrong my friend.

Being an AT&T (GSM) subscriber, why should I change to the CDMA (Verizon) network?

Being an AT&T (GSM) subscriber, why should I change to the CDMA (Verizon) network?
ive been an att subscriber since god knows when. i them since my first black and white nokia phone and that was a longgggg time ago. i dont travel enough to give justice to the coverage map. as long as in the tri state i have service i am not making a wrong choice by moving to sprint. plus i pay like 10 bucks extra then att to get unlimited everything? why not