What's new

Which carriers am I limited to in the U.S. if I have an unlocked IP5 from Europe?

HammerHam

Reaction score
Hi I"m currently in Italy and I'm interested in buying the unlocked IP5 simply because I'm planning on returning to the U.S. however on the apple.it site under unlocked details it states:

"You can activate and use it on a GSM network compatible wireless of your choice. The iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 without a contract will not work with CDMA operators. IPhone 5 without a contract may not be compatible with LTE networks in all countries. Ask for details of individual operators."

So which carriers would I be limited to?

Verizon is the only CDMA carrier, all the others are GSM.

What are the pros and cons of GSM/CDMA?

CDMA phones must be programmed to work with the carrier network. This requires a partnership with Apple so only select CDMA carriers can be used.

With an unlocked phone, any GSM network can be used with a SIM card from that carrier.

So which carriers would I be limited to if I bought the Italian unlocked IP5 lol?

So which carriers would I be limited to if I bought the Italian unlocked IP5 lol?
Your main two are going to be AT&T and T-mobile. I'm sure there's others... but those are the two main GSM wireless providers in the US w/ the most coverage.