What's new

When should you charge your iPhone 4?

RedefinedTR

Reaction score
I have had my iPhone 3 now for about 18months and the battery life is not so hot. I have been charging it just about every night no matter how the current charge is (the night I don't it dies on me the next day)

But what do you guys think? Is this standard practice? Or should I wait a bit to charge my new phone, or just make sure I kill the battery every day, LOL? Let me know what you think.

josun

Reaction score
Here is a really good link. To make a long story short... Charge more often and don't run it to 0% before recharging.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Actually that's not exactly what they're saying. They're saying don't do full discharge too often because it will shorten the life of the battery but do perform a full discharge for every 30 charges to recalibrate the battery, which translates to approximately once a month. This trick is fairly well known and I've been treating all my lithium based batteries this way for some time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyBoy

Reaction score
Actually that's not exactly what they're saying. They're saying don't do full discharge too often because it will shorten the life of the battery but do perform a full discharge for every 30 charges to recalibrate the battery, which translates to approximately once a month. This trick is fairly well known and I've been treating all my lithium based batteries this way for some time.
[/QUOTE]

The biggest point here being everybody that remembers the old nickle-metal batteries that had "memory" when you didn't discharge them all the way. That has of course changed and I think some are still hesitant to plug in when you still have %50.

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i basically never take mine off the charger i use it so much the battery drains quickly when using it

trego

Reaction score
Habit has me putting mine on the charger every night.

SJ-CALI

Reaction score
Once I hit 30% I plug it in...

I get a good 30 hours of use on it, I heavily text and use wifi....

josun

Reaction score
I've had terrible experiences with battery lives in Apple products and that's when I started doing the once-a-month-full-discharge-and-recharge thing. But, then I learned how to replace the battery on the iphone 3 and now I don't care as much since I can replace the battery easily. I don't suppose the new iphone is much different than iphone 3 in terms of DIY level.

Sam

Reaction score
I've had terrible experiences with battery lives in Apple products and that's when I started doing the once-a-month-full-discharge-and-recharge thing. But, then I learned how to replace the battery on the iphone 3 and now I don't care as much since I can replace the battery easily. I don't suppose the new iphone is much different than iphone 3 in terms of DIY level.

could be. i guess we'll see when someone cracks one open ;) there's always someone willing to take apart a new gadget...

LJBstore

Reaction score
Using your phone regularly will help keep the battery going. I manage hundreds of phones at work and the ones that don't use their phone regularly are the ones having battery problems. These people let their phone drain to 0 and not charge it for days or they leave it on the charger for days.

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i know people who let it drain forget about the phone and then leave it for days to charge.. me i use it constantly charge it when using it so the battery does not drain.

astroboy

Reaction score
Using your phone regularly will help keep the battery going. I manage hundreds of phones at work and the ones that don't use their phone regularly are the ones having battery problems. These people let their phone drain to 0 and not charge it for days or they leave it on the charger for days.

no wonder one of my ipod's battery got
all messed up! for i seldom use it and the
battery most of the time when i leave
it is fully drained.

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

no wonder one of my ipod's battery got
all messed up! for i seldom use it and the
battery most of the time when i leave
it is fully drained.

thats not good, never let it drain all the way

qeez

Reaction score
i leared something new today
and that is i'm always right :D

Most reactions

Latest posts