What's new

When should you charge your iPhone 4?

I've had terrible experiences with battery lives in Apple products and that's when I started doing the once-a-month-full-discharge-and-recharge thing. But, then I learned how to replace the battery on the iphone 3 and now I don't care as much since I can replace the battery easily. I don't suppose the new iphone is much different than iphone 3 in terms of DIY level.

Actually it's VERY easy! You still void your apple warranty but almost anyone can change them. Check out this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAy3xgdci4s&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - iPhone 4 Battery Replacement Video Directions By DirectFix.com[/ame]

Looks amazingly easy. Thanks!

One more question... On the iP4, there is a percentage icon on the home screen. On the 3G, beside the 'bar' is there someplace to look to see if the battery is charging 100%? How would you know if the battery was going bad and only charging to a max of 50% or whatever?

There really is no easy way to see what the actual battery life is except for just watching your usage time. There are a few apps that can track your usage and indirectly estimate how much your battery has diminished over time..... Kinda a pain if you ask me. I will just stick to the stone age method.

One more question... On the iP4, there is a percentage icon on the home screen. On the 3G, beside the 'bar' is there someplace to look to see if the battery is charging 100%? How would you know if the battery was going bad and only charging to a max of 50% or whatever?

The percentage is only available on the 3gs and 4g. Unless you jailbreak...

The percentage is only available on the 3gs and 4g. Unless you jailbreak...

Yes, but the percentage I was talking about is the actual working capacity not how much charge it has.

Here is a really good link. To make a long story short... Charge more often and don't run it to 0% before recharging.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Thanks for the link. I added it to my favorites. I cut out one paragraph and paste it below. That is all we need to know....keep it simple! I let it run down a couple of times and the bar was all red. I won't do that again.

The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

#1 You should let i go down below 20% once a month and then let it sit there until it doesn't show the charge icon anymore (it's called a trickle charge).
You can actually get an app which reminds you to recharge it that special way, and does it for you, it is called Magic Battery Pro i think.
Hope this helps!