What's new

How long should a battery charge last?

rosawoodsii

Reaction score
I just got my battery replaced because it was lasting only 3-4 hours between charges. The dealer who replaced it said the old one was very bad, the equivalent of a 90 y.o. in human life, so I expected much better results. What I got instead is a battery lasting only 3-4 hours between charges. IOW, no discernable difference. What is the normal battery life if I'm using the phone for texting, phone calls, and occasional podcasts? I'm not on the phone all day long, but probably 2-3 hours total per day, all things taken into consideration.

the guy repairs Apple IPhones and sells only Apple so I assume it’s an original Apple battery.

If you go to Settings>Battery>Battery Health, what is the current battery health reading?

Battery health is at 100%. However, that was true of the previous battery as well, at least, according to the iPhone itself. The tech, though, said it was in sad shape. I haven't seen any difference between the old battery and the new, and I'm stunned that Apple, whose technology as been touted for so long, doesn't even have the capacity of my previous Android phone. As a first experience with Apple products, I must say I'm not impressed.

Under Settings>Battery there is a list of apps and their battery usage. Maybe you’ve got apps working in the background and using too much battery power. Facebook is one of the worst offenders for excessive background activity.
Your experience with your battery is not typical. After 12 hours my iPhone 12 Pro is still at 77%.

Hmm. So here's the breakdown
Phone 27%
Safari 19% (Interesting, since I don't use Safari at all.)
Messages 15%
ProtonVPN 11%
Signal 11%
Brave 6%
Home and Lock Screen 5%
Mail 5%
AccuWeather 1%

Hmm. I just came across another thread from 2018 about iPhone 6S having to stay on the charger all the time. The person was exulting that with their new XR, it lasts a day or more. So, maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

I see you use a VPN. This will have an impact on battery life. It can consume up to 15% more battery than without VPN.

Most of us can use the iPhone for more than one day, so your experience is not expected. I‘ve had 5 or 6 different iPhones until now, none of them was even close to your battery usage. It‘s almost 7 pm right now here in Austria, and I‘m still at 82 %.

Don‘t forget that this forum is frequented by people who need help. Finding threads about problems with the iPhone’s battery life does not mean that this device‘s battery doesn‘t last very long.

You don‘t use Safari, so make sure it‘s not synced by iCloud. Go to Settings - your name - iCloud, and turn off Safari.

Last edited:
Hmm. I just came across another thread from 2018 about iPhone 6S having to stay on the charger all the time. The person was exulting that with their new XR, it lasts a day or more. So, maybe it's just the nature of the beast.
The iPhone 6S is a great phone. I have had mine six years and only recently have I upgraded to a newer model. My 6S had a new Apple battery put in three years ago and only recently has it needed a top up on the charger at the end of the day.

"You don‘t use Safari, so make sure it‘s not synced by iCloud. Go to Settings - your name - iCloud, and turn off Safari."

Interestingly, Safari was turned off, but Siri was still on, so I turned that off, and turned off iCloud in case that's part of the problem. So far as the VPN is concerned, I only added that a few days ago and had the problem before that, so I doubt that's the problem.

WRT the battery, I think I'm going to have to ask whether it's an original Apple battery.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

"You don‘t use Safari, so make sure it‘s not synced by iCloud. Go to Settings - your name - iCloud, and turn off Safari."

Interestingly, Safari was turned off, but Siri was still on, so I turned that off, and turned off iCloud in case that's part of the problem. So far as the VPN is concerned, I only added that a few days ago and had the problem before that, so I doubt that's the problem.

WRT the battery, I think I'm going to have to ask whether it's an original Apple battery.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.
If you update the phone to iOS 15.2, it will show in the settings what parts have been replaced and whether they were Apple made replacements.