What's new

What Problems Has Jailbreaking Caused Your IPhone

just got my third iphone 4s today (apple replaced due to dead pixel) jailbroke and installed everything in 20 minutes... not much going wrong yet lol

Mickey330 said:
Things like CallBar (use your phone from the status bar - without interrupting anything), SBSettings (quick access to some Settings actions such as Bluetooth, WiFi, etc), biteSMS (SMS/MMS messaging on steroids!), DeleteAll (one-click clean of e-mail Trash), Activator (do everything with gestures; never use your home button again), iKeywi (have a programmable 5th row on keyboard), Overboard (see all your pages at a glance - go to them on the second glance), Move2Unlock (gesture-based phone unlock), PhotoAlbums+ (actually MOVE photos to another album in the Photo app, not just link them), Springtomize2 (many reasons) and Zephyr (an iPhone with iPad-like multigestures).

There's a whole bunch of tweaks, these are just the ones I have and find useful. I won't even get into the theming aspect of it. Have a browse through [the whole] Jailbreaking section of this forum and you'll see a whole bunch of folk are enjoying a whole bunch of "stuff" with jail breaking.

And, to bring this back on topic, I have all that I mentioned above, plus others, plus some themes and my iPhone is running fine; it's not bogging down, not crashing, i get great signal, apps don't crash and, as far as I can tell, there's no battery issues.

Again, zero issues with the jail breaking, whether it was with the tool TO jail break or running of a jail broken phone. If a person sticks with the more tried and true tweaks from Cydia and stays away from the dodgy stuff - the phone is fine. Of course and as always, YMMV.

Marilyn

Interesting. Thank you. I am still too chicken to jailbreak. I'd rather leave well enough alone .). Enjoy

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update From NYC iPF.net

tlbaker said:
Interesting. Thank you. I am still too chicken to jailbreak. I'd rather leave well enough alone .). Enjoy

I agree. Why break something that already works like it should?

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

OneMarcil said:

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Then they're gonna want take it back to apple for a new one if / when it breaks. Lol

tlbaker said:
Then they're gonna want take it back to apple for a new one if / when it breaks. Lol

Apple should have a way to detect a jailbroke phone even though the phone's been reset back no non jailbroke status.

That way any jailbroke phone hold not be replaced.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Apple should have a way to detect a jailbroke phone even though the phone's been reset back no non jailbroke status.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Doesn't really make sense if the phone breaks for something completely unrelated to jailbreak.

And had zero problem with jailbreak here. None at all. Battery is hold up just fine. The tweaks help make the phone even more useful.

Seriously people, just because a phone has jailbreak done does not mean something will be done to damage the phone, nor does that mean people should be punished for jailbreaking.

Interesting responses... but I really wasen't trying to start a debate. Just wondered if anyone has issues with the jailbreak. I had issues with a new 4S. On the flip side I do still have 2 3G's that are jailbroken and unlocked. Thay always have been, like for the last 4 years. However I also have a 3GS in use in the house and I will not risk jailbreaking it. I think jailbreaking iOS 5.0.1 is the problem. So I'm leaving that iOS jailed. Seems a lot like the dreaded 04.11.08 baseband that nobody can unlock.

Iva restored a iPhone 4 from my hubby today an jailbrokem with latest ultrasn0w. Installed all the apps he needed and all the tweaks we thought worth. For now, no bugs, crashes and all that. Let's see.
I'll do the the same on my white as soon as I get the time to do so.

 Sent from my White 32 Gb iPhone 4 using TapaTalk 

By the way people. I am really interested in problems involving the 4S. The A4 (iPhone 4) jailbreak has had around 7 updates so I would think most of the bugs are fixxed. The 4S still seems to be on it's primary release therfore there are more bugs.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Because in my opinion, and the opinion of thousands and thousands of others the iPhone does not work like it should. It is a great phone but since I paid for it I feel very entitled to have it operate the way I want it to. Apple controls the app store and refuses to let certain customization apps be distributed. Imagine buying a car that wouldn't let you change the radio station or buying a computer that woulnd't let you change the home page. The concept is similar.

Just a few quick examples are:

Messaging... I like to have time stamps so I know what time I sent or received a message. Apple doesn't allow me this option but Xmessages from Cydia (the jailbroken app store) does that. I found Bitesms too buggy but lots of people love it. It has several additional options to include skins. When I get a text I usually can't feel the two short vibes and Apple doesn't give me a way to change this so RingerX Vip from Cydia lets me create my own custom vibes for text and many many other things.

When my phone is on loud and I send a text, I don't want to hear *whoop* and I don't want everyone around me to know I just sent a text but Apple doesn't give me the option to turn it off. iFile from the Cydia store allowed me to delete that .caf file so it will never make that sound again when I send a text even if my phone is one loud.

I hate butt-dialing people and often called them on accident when just viewing their contact info. Asktocall from Cydia allows me to require a confirmation before the phone actually dials someone.

When I miss a call, I want to know about it. With Missed Reminder I can set a reminder (like a text reminder) that I missed a phone call. Apple didn't give me that option.

I don't use themes but my wife does and love it on her JB 4S. Apple doesn't allow themes I don't think.

So why break something that works like it should you ask? It doesn't work like it should- it works like Apple thinks it should work for everyone and I want a phone that works that way I want it to work. And to be clear, you're not actually breaking anything. You're putting your phone into administrator mode which allows you to control your device without restrictions and allows you to use Cydia to download and install the customizations that YOU want- not that Apple thought you should have. Had I not been able to JB my iPhone I was going to go back to Android so I could have all the little customizations that I wanted. It was a painful couple of months waiting for the JB to be released and if it hadn't have come, I wouldn't be here.

Rik

Edit Here: To the original poster- no, I have not had ANY issues related specifically to the jailbreak. Some of the apps I've downloaded have been buggy but that's it. I don't believe for a second that simply jailbreaking changes anyone's battery life either. It's related to the apps they download that use more system services, location, push notifications etc. BiteSMS and RingerX VIP are the two buggiest apps I've had. I ditched BiteSMS but love ringer x despite it's shortcomings.

Last edited:
Basically if you need to ask what the benifits of jailbreaking are, then it's probably not for you. In addition, if you have not experienced what a properly jailbroken phone has to offer, then you don't know what you're missing, and thus your opinion on the matter is moot due to it's being concieved ignorant of the facts.
My first phone hacking experience was with the Motorola V3m (Razr). I replaced the Verizon OS with Vivo, a popular Brazillian OS. It unlocked many features of the V3m that had been restricted or eliminated by Verizon for little more than greed. The primary example is that the only music that could be added, even though the phone has a microsd, was through Verison, at 99 cents a song.
I paid hundreds and hundreds for my extensive collection of cds. There's no reason I should have to pay for those songs a second time, and sure as hell no reason Verizon should get a single cent for any of the music I already own.

There are ma y reasons for people wanting to hack, root or jailbreak. I believe that it is a small minority of individuals who do it with any devious intent, no matter how loose the definition is held. Conversly, it is my opinion that sheer greed is the single most unifying motivating factor shared amongst service providers and device manufactures that intentionally keep users from having full control of their devices.

Battery Drained but I figured out what tweaks caused that matter !! No I only have the main thing I jailbreak for and that is bite SMS

Still not worth breaking such a nice and expensive phone.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1
why would you like that?
We paid top dollar and would like to be able to have a phone set up to how we like it. Thats no different that androids rooting and be able to do what they want.

maka i agree we should be able to do what we want with 'any" device we spend our hard earned $$ on. But i still haven't found anything available on Cydia that does anything I can't live without. And most of the tweaks listed in earlier post you can do from the phones settings anyway or they just don't matter.

My iPhone 4S runs fantastic even though it is not jailbroken. It had issues immediatly following a jailbreaking. I think there are fixes for some of the problems like installing SAM and other workarounds but I should'nt have to. The jailbreak should do what it's supposed to and leave the iPhone in perfect working order.

If they can't do that then we need a new dream team.