What's new

What Problems Has Jailbreaking Caused Your IPhone

maka said:
why would you like that?
We paid top dollar and would like to be able to have a phone set up to how we like it. Thats no different that androids rooting and be able to do what they want.

Because peeps that jailbreak there phones and can not make the phones work properly after the jailbreak want to take the phone back to get a new one.

Not all peeps but some.

There is nothing wrong with how the hone comes new unjailbroke.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

joel406 said:
maka i agree we should be able to do what we want with 'any" device we spend our hard earned $$ on. But i still haven't found anything available on Cydia that does anything I can't live without. And most of the tweaks listed in earlier post you can do from the phones settings anyway or they just don't matter.

My iPhone 4S runs fantastic even though it is not jailbroken. It had issues immediatly following a jailbreaking. I think there are fixes for some of the problems like installing SAM and other workarounds but I should'nt have to. The jailbreak should do what it's supposed to and leave the iPhone in perfect working order.

If they can't do that then we need a new dream team.

There is proof that the phone was I. Perfect working order before a jailbreak but after the jailbreak there was issues.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

OneMarcil, you seem to be quite a bit in the minority regarding both your jailbreak experience as well as your opinion regarding jailbreaking benifits and "morality".
At this point I really have to wonder what your interest is in this discussion at all.

Joel, I have not had any incidents where I feared for my phone being broken due to jailbreaking.
But in all fairness I mention these two "cons"; the first is rather benign and the second is something to really take i to consideration:
After jailbreaking you may find an occassional conflict in the installation of tweaks the sends the springboard into Safe Mode. When this happens you.will have to troubleshoot the conflict. Often it's as simple as uninstalling the last app or tweak. There is almost always a work-around option that will gi e you the same results without conflicting i. the system. Some times it's more difficult to troubleshoot, but with apps lime Springmotize or SBSettings, where you can toggle apps off, combined with CrashReporter, you can.usually track down the offending addition in minutes.

The more real and serious con to consider is that these magnificant pnones are very fragile. If you are jailbroken and smash your phone and can't reset it, Apple may well test the guts to see if it was jailbroken so as to avoid making good o the warranty. It would be, afterall, in their best financial interest to check. (Wouldn't you?)
However, if jailbreaking is anytbing like Android rooting, nothing (to.my knowledge) is downloadable in tbe OS that will actually break the phone's hardware.

I treat my phone lime a magical piece of glass.

Rex both of those cons... either of them is a show stopper for me.

Listen if people want to jailbreak thier iDevice thats hunky dory with me.

My point is the jailbreak should be a little better concived. My experience with a brand new iPhone 4S was pretty bad. Siri and all dictation died. On the spot right after the jailbreak finished. Cydia was up and running. The phone app turned white, but did still work. But still my talk to text was gone. Siri was gone, and these are factors that make me wonder. Dream team? Really?

And while getting apps from cydia that we can't get at the app store seems great but alot of problems come from these apps themselves causeing problems. Maybe thats why they arent available at the apps store. Apple failed them after they test them.

I have 2 jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3g's. They work great even with the iPad baseband. But I think the A5 jailbreak has problems.

Jail broken iDevices let you "muck around" with the device.

This can cause stability problems, and should not be attempted unless you WANT to spend time debugging and correcting errors on the device.

It's not a stable environment, by definition.

Many people are happy doing this.

We are finding more and more former jail broken devices are being returned to factory settings, so clearly the attraction is not strong enough to keep some people based on the issues they encounter.

Most of our apps test whether or not they are running on a jail broken device and we record that information for support purposes. Many of these are now reporting later that they have returned to a non jail broken configuration.

The more real and serious con to consider is that these magnificant pnones are very fragile. If you are jailbroken and smash your phone and can't reset it, Apple may well test the guts to see if it was jailbroken so as to avoid making good o the warranty. It would be, afterall, in their best financial interest to check. (Wouldn't you?)
However, if jailbreaking is anytbing like Android rooting, nothing (to.my knowledge) is downloadable in tbe OS that will actually break the phone's hardware.

I treat my phone lime a magical piece of glass.

well if you break your phone apple wouldnt fix it under warrenty...

Because in my opinion, and the opinion of thousands and thousands of others the iPhone does not work like it should. It is a great phone but since I paid for it I feel very entitled to have it operate the way I want it to. Apple controls the app store and refuses to let certain customization apps be distributed. Imagine buying a car that wouldn't let you change the radio station or buying a computer that woulnd't let you change the home page. The concept is similar.

Just a few quick examples are:

Messaging... I like to have time stamps so I know what time I sent or received a message. Apple doesn't allow me this option but Xmessages from Cydia (the jailbroken app store) does that. I found Bitesms too buggy but lots of people love it. It has several additional options to include skins. When I get a text I usually can't feel the two short vibes and Apple doesn't give me a way to change this so RingerX Vip from Cydia lets me create my own custom vibes for text and many many other things.

When my phone is on loud and I send a text, I don't want to hear *whoop* and I don't want everyone around me to know I just sent a text but Apple doesn't give me the option to turn it off. iFile from the Cydia store allowed me to delete that .caf file so it will never make that sound again when I send a text even if my phone is one loud.

I hate butt-dialing people and often called them on accident when just viewing their contact info. Asktocall from Cydia allows me to require a confirmation before the phone actually dials someone.

When I miss a call, I want to know about it. With Missed Reminder I can set a reminder (like a text reminder) that I missed a phone call. Apple didn't give me that option.

I don't use themes but my wife does and love it on her JB 4S. Apple doesn't allow themes I don't think.

So why break something that works like it should you ask? It doesn't work like it should- it works like Apple thinks it should work for everyone and I want a phone that works that way I want it to work. And to be clear, you're not actually breaking anything. You're putting your phone into administrator mode which allows you to control your device without restrictions and allows you to use Cydia to download and install the customizations that YOU want- not that Apple thought you should have. Had I not been able to JB my iPhone I was going to go back to Android so I could have all the little customizations that I wanted. It was a painful couple of months waiting for the JB to be released and if it hadn't have come, I wouldn't be here.

Rik

Edit Here: To the original poster- no, I have not had ANY issues related specifically to the jailbreak. Some of the apps I've downloaded have been buggy but that's it. I don't believe for a second that simply jailbreaking changes anyone's battery life either. It's related to the apps they download that use more system services, location, push notifications etc. BiteSMS and RingerX VIP are the two buggiest apps I've had. I ditched BiteSMS but love ringer x despite it's shortcomings.

Very well said. I am one of the thousands you speak of.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Im pretty brand new to smartphones (got a iphone4 for christmas - never had a smartphone prior to this - or even used one really - I only had a 10year old cheap nokia)

I jailbroke within 1 hour of opening the iphone box up lols - after all you can generally just UNjailbreak easily enough if you change your mind later/want to send the phone in for service. My wife has had a iphone4 for over a year, hers isnt jailbroken and she is fine with that (I offered to do it for her but she reckons her phone does the job fine though)

Funny thing is, I keep catching her using my phone instead of hers - As everything is easier to use/better featured on mine lol (perhaps I should reoffer her a JB)

Issues wise......Ive had issues with sbrotator to the extent that i had to hold both buttons down to reset the phone then uninstall the app as the phone got stuck in a endless reboot - but I think that was due to my inexperience and the fact I had about 3 programs installed that did very nearly the same things (live and learn lol - I also possibly had the wrong version installed for my IOS version I have - silly mistakes like that from a noob)

My JB iphone4 battery life was nowhere near as good as the wifes stock iphone4 - but that turned out to be inexperience also - After adjusting my settings so not every single app (80+ at the time from memory) had push/locations/notifications etc all turned on (some didnt require it anyway) My battery life is now actually better than the wifes stock iphone4 - but perhaps thats just because hers is a year older than mine.

Would I JB again? of course - Else to get those kind of features I want/expect I would have to
A>Sell the iphone and go buy a android where they dont lock you out of using your own property how you want
or
B>Lug my laptop around - but that dont fit in my pocket! lols

Sounds like you had already made your mind up prior go posting the question, Joel.
It also sounds like you screwed up your jailbreak attempt and either got scared by that or are too arrogant to concede to the idea that it was you who screwed up. In either case, the current jailbreak method is extremely well concieved and very stable, so yeah, "Dream Team", really.

My point is the jailbreak should be a little better concived. My experience with a brand new iPhone 4S was pretty bad. Siri and all dictation died. On the spot right after the jailbreak finished. Cydia was up and running. The phone app turned white, but did still work. But still my talk to text was gone. Siri was gone, and these are factors that make me wonder. Dream team? Really?

And while getting apps from cydia that we can't get at the app store seems great but alot of problems come from these apps themselves causeing problems. Maybe thats why they arent available at the apps store. Apple failed them after they test them.

I have 2 jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3g's. They work great even with the iPad baseband. But I think the A5 jailbreak has problems.

Can you elaborate on the problems you keep stating? Like I've said previously, this was my first iDevice. I jail broke using the Absinthe jailbreak a couple days in. The jailbreak was extremely easy to perform and I was up and running in 5 minutes or less.

My phone is very stable and I have yet to experience a single crash. I haven't had any problems with any Cydia apps. They too are stable and smooth. I pay for my apps and don't pirate.

I see no reason not to jailbreak, nor do I see a reason not to recommend it to others.

How to jailbreak my iPhone 4, which version 5.0.1 baseband 4.11.08. It's a factory unlock.
Please guide me.

Khokon

Lodingi said:
Can you elaborate on the problems you keep stating? Like I've said previously, this was my first iDevice. I jail broke using the Absinthe jailbreak a couple days in. The jailbreak was extremely easy to perform and I was up and running in 5 minutes or less.

My phone is very stable and I have yet to experience a single crash. I haven't had any problems with any Cydia apps. They too are stable and smooth. I pay for my apps and don't pirate.

I see no reason not to jailbreak, nor do I see a reason not to recommend it to others.

I agree with the above. I would be er recommend either. Like I wrote before jailbreak means break.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

No problems what so ever with my jailbreak.

Last edited:
Somebody should lock this thread. All it is at this point is a troll party, and thus a waste of space.

Been Jailbroken for a year. Not sure what has happened but in the last few weeks battery is absolutely terrible. Took out many apps including Overflow, nofititer +,action menu, ringerx and app locker. still have 20 - 30 apps in but they have been in for a long time. I did reinstall cydia but didn't uninstall older version. Don't know how to uninstall cydia w/o a full restore then reinstalling.