What's new

What is Jailbreak?

komobu

Reaction score
I am new to the iphone. Tomorrow I am getting my first iphone from verizon. What is jailbreak? do I want it? what are the advantages?

”What is Jailbreaking”
Hey guys, Let’s start by telling you about what jailbreaking an iPhone, iPod Touch or an iPad is all about. It is a simple thing to do although it can sometimes be confusing for a non computer literate person. Below we will talk you through what “jailbreaking” is.

“Jailbreaking” is a constant “cat and mouse” game with hackers finding “exploits”(meaning they find a “flaw” within Apples software on the phone) with which they can customize and bypass any restrictions their operating system may have.

As soon as these exploits (jailbreaks) become public, it is closely followed by “Apple” releasing their latest firmware containing a patch for the found exploit.

Thus the analogy “cat and mouse game” is apparent as the hackers are the mouse and Apple are the cat.

Let me start with a basic definition of “jailbreaking”. The name itself explains a lot – to break out of jail.

Basically Apple gives you “default” applications only available In the Apple AppStore. The only customisation they provide you with is homepage and lockscreen wallpaper. It’s like being in a jail cell; you have not got any freedom to modify your settings/themes/networks name (o2,AT&T etc), and no way to change your message tone to a favourite quote from a film, or add 3rd party applications (Third party applications are programs written to work within Apples software, but are written by individuals or companies other than the provider of the software)

But when you jailbreak you are completely “free” from Apples so called “jail”.

Jailbreaking will allow you to customize the operating system to allow theming and your third party apps to be installed. It will also allow system mods, allow you to change messaging sounds to anything you desire; it will also allow you to “unlock” your device to any carrier.

With an easy search on YouTube or Google you can find many tutorials to find out if your device is “jailbreakable” and we will provide some good YouTuber’s below who have gone through jailbreaking from the start process to installing third party apps, and even theming.

To know if you are in fact “jailbroken” you will find a third party installer on your phone called “Cydia”. Cydia is the standard installer on all jailbroken iDevices and will be the application you use to install your apps/tweaks or themes.

I do hope you pluck the courage to jailbreak your device and look forward to talking with you about it. Oh and let the “cat and Mouse game” begin

Below you will find 3 easy to follow videos from our official YouTube channel, if you have any qeustions dont hesitate to ask.

taken from here ”What is Jailbreaking” « MyGreatFest

in short its a way of taking full control of the iphone, add tweaks that let you do thing things apple doesn'y have built in like custom sms tones, alerts,notifications in the status bar, too many too name i would never go back to a non jailbroken iphone

K I have an iPhone 4. How do I go about jailbreaking it. Can someone point me in the right direction

K I have an iPhone 4. How do I go about jailbreaking it. Can someone point me in the right direction

on your phone go to settings general about find out what version you have then you tube search how to jailbreak your version anf watch a few tutorials its easier to watch how to do it

in short its a way of taking full control of the iphone, add tweaks that let you do thing things apple doesn'y have built in like custom sms tones, alerts,notifications in the status bar, too many too name i would never go back to a non jailbroken iphone

I agree, i can't use a non jailbreak iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always wanted to have more features on our iPhone thats why this iPhone Jailbreak comes into our way. In fact there are a lot of ways for us to jailbreak our phone.