What's new

What is a good iPhone navigation app?

I used the exact opposite logic. I paid $40 for the app because the cheapest standalone unit was $100 and would be an extra device to carry around. Plus the phone goes everywhere so if Im in someone elses car I have garmin without needing to unmount a standalone.

I prefer the Garmin over tomtom for little things like address entry. And I will also say this, the app version of garmin is identical to the garmin standalone units. Absolutely perfect GPS imo.
I mean you are right, I just dont have $40 to spend on a GPS app :( If i did I can see your logic, I wonder do those come with lifetime map upadates?

Waze, Waze, and Waze.

it also have a search engine incorporated into it so you can Google search for locations.

Closest thing to Google Navigation I can find.

I personally would not buy an app for this as Apple is planning their own Navigation app for future os's.

I can't stand the cutesyness of Waze. Plus I like being able to use the navigate from maps tweak on Cydia with Navigon.

There is only one Return, and it is not Of The King, it is Of The Jedi

I mean you are right, I just dont have $40 to spend on a GPS app :( If i did I can see your logic, I wonder do those come with lifetime map upadates?

As far as I know its lifetime updates but Im sure they could change that if they chose to.

Garmin also has the google search. Yes the app is 2 gigs but Id rather not use data since Im a new at&t customer with a 3 gig limit. I like to save my data for more important things, like slingbox and netflix lol

chopperguy said:
You get points for goodies on the road when you go over them. It is kinda funny...

Sent from my refrigerator, cause I'm hungry.cdc04

So then why turn it off? Sounds like fun.

Unfortunately, there aren't any good ones that are full featured and not cutesy for free. If you're in the U.S. you can get east , central, or west region for only $19.99 and then you only have to download the states you need. Definitely the best by far.

There is only one Return, and it is not Of The King, it is Of The Jedi

Mapquest is a free app, speaks turn by turn directions, works great for me

I travel all over the country on my Motorcycle. And I use MotionX GPS Drive. I did over 40,000 miles traveling thru the US this year. It never let me down. For a few dollars you get a pretty complete navigation system that is always up to date. Where I live there is poor phone signal. But with GPS Drive I can preload maps before I leave. So I never have to worry about phone signal. Voice Navigation is free for the first 30 days. And $9.99 a year after that. It is well worth it. My Garmen is now collecting dust.

Motion X GPS Drive: App Store - MotionX GPSpparently it is $1.99 now, but based upon my use of it everywhere from Las Vegas to Boston, I'd pay a great deal more. Turn by turn directions can't be beat. Audio guidance for $10/year. Automatic posting of location to email or social media (because I also ride horses in the wilderness and notify someone when I leave and return for safety sake) with offline map storage and motion detection for times when network or gps is obstructed/out of reach. Could not possibly say enough about my love of this program. Previously had a Garmin interfaced to my laptop with mapping software which was great, but this fits in my pocket, mounts on my dash, etc. Prefer Motion X GPS for riding, hiking, etc., particularly with the terrain view and detailed track recording, etc... but you asked about driving.

Waze is just simply addicting for me though as it provides real time notification from other users in the area. Both provide traffic view. I usually run both... but I'm pretty geeky. (between the two Motion X apps, I haven't used my Garmin in years).

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and said:
Ain't that the truth. ... Unless the kid is bi-polar; nice at home and a monster on the road;-)

Added: I'm collecting info I can use once I get another IPhone 4s. A navigation application tops my list. Looks to me that I'd go for Motion X GPS based on what this thread points out.

I'm now using a Garmin Aera 560 (aviation-automotive) GPS which is great in the air but too expensive to have in the car in case I forget to carry it with me.

Last edited: