What's new

What is a good iPhone navigation app?

Klausgb

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good app for street navigation - the Google maps doesn't give you an updated ETA, mileage, nor does it turn dark when it gets dark outside - anyone have any useful input here?
Thanks! -

I am currently very fond of "Waze" - its free, in the app store and does everything I need (including voice turn-by-turn WITH street names). I believe it does everything you mention.

My dad really likes "Beat The Traffic" (also free) but I havnt used it much so I can't vouch for it.

Take care,
Rob

Klausgb said:
I'm looking for a good app for street navigation - the Google maps doesn't give you an updated ETA, mileage, nor does it turn dark when it gets dark outside - anyone have any useful input here?
Thanks! -

Tom Tom or navigon is what I use

Klaus... just look in the Apple Store for a couple of apps by MotionX. The one you probably would like to research is called GPS Drive, a 99 cent nav app. Look it up, d/l it, and see what you think. It uses wi-fi or 3G data to update maps with, but so do "most" of the others.

I use the TeleNav GPS Plus its .99 to download and includes 30 days of service than $9.99/year. So far it seems to work pretty well. It has speech recognition and voice prompts. I have only used it a couple of times however, but for .99 it is worth testing it out. I am currently still looking for the best GPS ....seems like Magellan and TomTom but both are much more expensive. If I am going to pay more than $50 I may as well buy a standard nav system ...

If I am going to pay more than $50 I may as well buy a standard nav system ...

I used the exact opposite logic. I paid $40 for the app because the cheapest standalone unit was $100 and would be an extra device to carry around. Plus the phone goes everywhere so if Im in someone elses car I have garmin without needing to unmount a standalone.

I prefer the Garmin over tomtom for little things like address entry. And I will also say this, the app version of garmin is identical to the garmin standalone units. Absolutely perfect GPS imo.

I went an opted for the TomTom app. It's about identical to an actual TomTom navigation that would cost at least double. It also has the advantage that you can use Google within the app to search for places whereas with a stand alone GPS you can't do it.

I also picked up a Magellan car kit on Ebay cheap. It attaches to the windshield and has built in GPS and a speaker to improve your GPS signal and make the voice directions louder. I chose the Magellan car kit over the TomTom one because the Magellan kit has an adjustable mount for the phone so it can fit a phone with any case whereas the TomTom one doesn't accommodate a case.

Last edited:
Navigon because you don't have to download 2gb of maps and better iPod control.

There is only one Return, and it is not Of The King, it is Of The Jedi