What's new

Verizon's unlimited plan and upgrading

Tricon7

Reaction score
I finally got the answer I was looking for, and from a good source. A Verizon rep told me that if I upgraded to an iPhone 5, it would necessitate a new contract, and I would have to leave my unlimited data plan behind since it's no longer offered. I found that kind of hard to believe, so I researched it. Though others said this wasn't really true, I couldn't find a source to confirm it. I finally found it.

Apple iPhone fans dilemma: Unlimited Verizon iPhone 4 now or stuck with limited iPhone 5? - International Business Times

One can either keep the unlimited data plan with the iPhone 4, or get a new iPhone 5 - at full price (~$649). Hence the drawback. To get the new phone at $199, one would need to (*drum roll please*) get that new contract.

At least I know that I can always upgrade my iPhone, even though it'll cost me. But my unlimited data plan is mine forever. :)

Tricon7 said:
I finally got the answer I was looking for, and from a good source. A Verizon rep told me that if I upgraded to an iPhone 5, it would necessitate a new contract, and I would have to leave my unlimited data plan behind since it's no longer offered. I found that kind of hard to believe, so I researched it. Though others said this wasn't really true, I couldn't find a source to confirm it. I finally found it.

Apple iPhone fans dilemma: Unlimited Verizon iPhone 4 now or stuck with limited iPhone 5? - International Business Times

One can either keep the unlimited data plan with the iPhone 4, or get a new iPhone 5 - at full price (~$649). Hence the drawback. To get the new phone at $199, one would need to (*drum roll please*) get that new contract.

At least I know that I can always upgrade my iPhone, even though it'll cost me. But my unlimited data plan is mine forever. :)

If you think about it. It makes sense. I knew that I would have to pay full price for the next phone. But the next device in my opinion isn't a life changer so I'll pass now

I originally thought Verizon promised unlimited data users would be grand fathered into their plans.

This could be a classic case of this particular Verizon store giving your the run around. I would call customer service first and complain if they tried taking me off my plan, if this fails with the customer service rep, then ask for their supervisor (this has always worked for me except once). When that one time failed, I just asked for their superior!

It took me 2 hours on the phone with Verizon that one time, but I got what I wanted :p!!

I originally thought Verizon promised unlimited data users would be grand fathered into their plans.

This could be a classic case of this particular Verizon store giving your the run around. I would call customer service first and complain if they tried taking me off my plan, if this fails with the customer service rep, then ask for their supervisor (this has always worked for me except once). When that one time failed, I just asked for their superior!

It took me 2 hours on the phone with Verizon that one time, but I got what I wanted :p!!

For sure. This was a great example of ignorance of a low-level Verizon representative giving out false information. I've had Cisco do this to me, too.

I wouldn't trust that article. I've spoken to VZW CS was told that as long as I had a line with unlimited data before July 7th, 2011, I would ALWAYS have unlimited data until I dropped it or cancelled the line. If you have unlimited now, you should be able to upgrade to the iphone 5, WITH A NEW CONTRACT, and still retain your unlimited data.

For the love of all things holy, WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING THIS UP?????

I have pasted several LINKS including one to the VZW TWITTER FEED that stated that as long as you DON'T CHANGE YOUR PLAN, you can stay on unlimited data and still do a renewal every two years and get the subsidized price on a phone instead of paying retail.

What is it going to take for you to learn this SIMPLE FACT?

Ok, I am going to put this one in the GRAVE once and for ALL.

READ THE VERY FIRST BULLET POINT - TOP LEFT.

verizon-data-plans-2.jpg

Yes, please... This is nothing but BAD rumors. I upgrade my phone after the data changes and I STILL haven unlimited data.

It will only change if I change something in the minutes or cancel data and try to get it bad later.

So from personal experience, There is no changes to your data on phone upgrade.

I got my iphone 6/28 for this reason. I figured id have heavy data usage and gettin unlimited forever would be better than the new plans but as it turns out ive only sent/received about 3gbs total.

For the love of all things holy, WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING THIS UP?????

I have pasted several LINKS including one to the VZW TWITTER FEED that stated that as long as you DON'T CHANGE YOUR PLAN, you can stay on unlimited data and still do a renewal every two years and get the subsidized price on a phone instead of paying retail.

What is it going to take for you to learn this SIMPLE FACT?

Hey man, calm down. You're going to bust a blood vessel.

If a simple post gets you this irate, I'd hate to see you in a real emergency. If you don't like my post, just ignore it. (That was a nice Verizon image, btw; I printed it out for my files).

Last edited:
I got my iphone 6/28 for this reason. I figured id have heavy data usage and gettin unlimited forever would be better than the new plans but as it turns out ive only sent/received about 3gbs total.

Yeah, I don't really use my iPhone enough to justify unlimited, either. But it's sure nice to know it's there if I need it. :) It's too bad that I didn't buy a phone with that plan for my son and daughter, too, for when they're older. But by then, who knows what great deals will be out there.

Hey man, calm down. You're going to bust a blood vessel.

If a simple post gets you this irate, I'd hate to see you in a real emergency. If you don't like my post, just ignore it. (That was a nice Verizon image, btw; I printed it out for my files).

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I can tell you exactly how I react in a real emergency after four years of USAF training. Calm, cool, well thought out reactionary plans. Usually with three full options considered. And after every thing is settled out, then I allow myself to worry about the "what if I was wrong".

On forums I do allow myself to inject an OMG moment every once in a while. Lets people know that I am not some automaton spouting off facts with no humanity behind it ;)

Unlimited data users CAN keep their plan. Whoever told you otherwise is lying

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...