What's new

The death of the grandfathered unlimited data plan?

Tricon7

Reaction score
I stil have an iPhone 4 with my unlimited data plan from Verizon. I knew that if I were to get an iPhone 5 with LTE I'd have to pay full price, or either lose my unlimited data plan (I was hoping to come up with the money to do it soon).

However, upon reading this article it seems that even if I pay full price for any new phone, I'll have to abandon my unlimited data plan, per Verizon's determination to abolish it. :>((

Verizon Nixes Unlimited Data Grandfather Clause | Carriers | E-Commerce Times

If they force me to give up unlimited data then I will go somewhere else and get a much cheaper rate for voice and limited data. Unlimited was the only reason I stuck with Verizon high prices for as long as I have

That's the thing with Verizon. They don't know how to compete for the consumer pool. Other companies offer an unlimited plan for a decent price. Verizon is charging $10 more for a limited plan (in comparison to Sprint's unlimited plan). Uhm.... If you push your plan another extra $5 but allow for unlimited data, your consumer base would sky rocket considering how many people are willing to stick with Verizon for their LTE coverage on the 5. That's the sole reason that Verizon is losing to Sprint in terms of CDMA consumer pool. Customers stick with Verizon despite this for the "better coverage". If Verizon learns to play their cards right, they could soak up the majority of the iPhone industry in the US.

My phone company still offers unlimited plans to anyone who wants one.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

That article is from last summer and I believe that Verizon stated then, that it would only allow you to keep the grandfathered plan to the current system.if you kept your current phone or did not have them subsidize the cost of a new phone. I believe that is still true and that while Verizion wil undoubtedly be wastching how TMobile fares with their plan, they will assess that before they announce changes further afffecting grandfathered unlimited plans.

Ya I just bought my iPhone 5 about 6 weeks ago and they let me keep my unlimited plan.

Ya I just bought my iPhone 5 about 6 weeks ago and they let me keep my unlimited plan.

My understanding from the article was that one can currently pay full price and get an iPhone 5 with the grandfathered unlimited data plan. But that this is to be abolished soon, even paying full price.

My understanding from the article was that one can currently pay full price and get an iPhone 5 with the grandfathered unlimited data plan. But that this is to be abolished soon, even paying full price.

That's incorrect. Verizon CAN'T force you to change anything unless you agree to terms with a phone upgrade at the subsidized pricing. You can keep your plan as long as the company exists. Which will be quite some time!

I agree. Basically they can't force you onto another plan. They'd rather let you keep the plan than to lose a customer that'll be paying a consistent monthly rate for the coming years. Weighing "making less" with the grandfathered unlimited, or completely losing out on a customer

I'd be iffy about assuming Verizon will let people stay on unlimited for much longer. I too was on that plan, bought my note 2 (best phone by far that I've ever owned, at least for my needs). Obviously it's awesome to be able to use 10,15,34 gigs a month, but Verizon has zero obligation to honor your unlimited plan. When you're out of contract, Verizon can tell you to pound salt at any time.

True, Verizon can't make you sign a new contract. But they can also say, "You're not getting an iPhone 5 without a structured data plan." It makes sense that they're under no obligation to keep offering you new, better phones with old extinct contracts, though I heartily hope they do.

Last edited: