What's new

The value of an unlimited data plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha nice! bit dangerous though and hard to concentrate on the road and watching the netflix movies..

10GB+ easily per month

Yeah, I know it's not the safest thing to do..... You haven't been talking to my wife, have you?

I probably need to read my plan, but I'm at work. What's a common *limited* data plan with Verizon/ATT cost? I heard that only watching one or two Netflix movies could run you over your limt, especially if you have a conservative plan. True?

Yeah, I know it's not the safest thing to do..... You haven't been talking to my wife, have you?

I probably need to read my plan, but I'm at work. What's a common *limited* data plan with Verizon/ATT cost? I heard that only watching one or two Netflix movies could run you over your limt, especially if you have a conservative plan. True?

Damn it I told her you would realise it was her words and not mine ;p

I dont really know ATT's plans because I do not live in the usa but here its 500mb/1GB the normal plan.

Damn it I told her you would realise it was her words and not mine ;p

I dont really know ATT's plans because I do not live in the usa but here its 500mb/1GB the normal plan.

How much of that data would a 2-hour movie eat up? If I save a DVD to my computer, it's oftentimes 3 GB, but I don't know if it's measured the same way.

yes but the movies on netflix are probably much smaller in size.. if you uploaded the a whole 3GB video clip lets say to youtube it would need to download all 3GB.

they offer HD and higher def movies now dont they.. lots of data

I don't quite remember the price for Verizon's plans but if your running Netflix on a IPhone each movie runs about 300 megabytes so wouldn't recommend watching it all the time but two movies won't necessarily kill your data plan.

I don't quite remember the price for Verizon's plans but if your running Netflix on a IPhone each movie runs about 300 megabytes so wouldn't recommend watching it all the time but two movies won't necessarily kill your data plan.

Oh, but I can watch it all the time. I could run Netflix 24/7 all month if I liked. I have the unlimited data plan!

Sweet.

I have AT&T and im grandfathered in with my unlimited plan. I recently started getting text messages from AT&T telling me that i'm in the top 5% of data consumers and that i should either reconsider my plan to avoid my connection speed being throttled (which makes absolutely no sense, just them trying to get me off the unlimited data) or use my data connection less by connecting to WiFi to avoid my speed being throttled. Big whoop..

I used 3gig last month and they did throttle my speed to Edge network speeds which wasnt much fun but it was only for a couple days until my billing cycle was up. I have airplay in my car so between constantly streaming Rhapsody and using Netflix for my son i can get up to 2gigs a month pretty easily. I wouldnt want to try to get by on a capped plan at least not after living an unlimited plan lifestyle.

And we are trying to tell you to read the fine print :)

Which is? I won't be charged more than my monthly bill for data. My data might be throttled down, but I'm still getting it. This is the beauty of the near-extinct unlimited plan. Or is there something else you know that I'm so far unaware of?

Tricon7 said:
Which is? I won't be charged more than my monthly bill for data. My data might be throttled down, but I'm still getting it. This is the beauty of the near-extinct unlimited plan. Or is there something else you know that I'm so far unaware of?

Thats what we have been discussing here (if you read further up). There are a lot of carriers that sell "unlimited plans", but the fine print says "unlimited plan is up to 1.5 or whatever GB a month" and so on so it is not exactly "unlimited")

Not saying yours is like that necessarily but maybe if you stream netflixx 24/7 we can all find out ;)

Netflix movies will EAT up your data plan. I have my virgin mobile phone rooted and wifi hotspot for my main Internet for my computer and Xbox live. I go through about 25gb of data a month, sometimes more. I track the data usage on the phone with an app and a Netflix movie is easily 500mb-1gb. Luckily virgin mobile is owned by sprint and they don't throttle speeds. I have my iPhone 4 through sprint with unlimited data and I've almost got 2gb on this phone just from YouTube and web browsing for the month.

To reiterate my point:

T-Mobile isn't the only wireless carrier that's been stretching the definition of "unlimited" data. AT&T and Verizon both reduce speeds for users who consume the most data, although Verizon only does so when its network is congested. And T-Mobile has called its tiered data plans "unlimited" since last April.

Although wireless carriers argue that a plan with throttling is still "unlimited" because users can continue to access the Internet, speed restrictions are still a type of limit placed on the user. T-Mobile is doing a good thing by offering an affordable family plan with unlimited talk and text. Why muddy it with dishonest advertising?

Here is the complete article.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2483...ing_of_unlimited_with_cheap_family_plans.html

They might be doing something other to their "unlimited plans" as you will see

And another interesting one
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100736094401428282681/posts/Z8c2sGxq11B

Last edited:
iMarilina said:
To reiterate my point:

T-Mobile isn't the only wireless carrier that's been stretching the definition of "unlimited" data. AT&T and Verizon both reduce speeds for users who consume the most data, although Verizon only does so when its network is congested. And T-Mobile has called its tiered data plans "unlimited" since last April.

Although wireless carriers argue that a plan with throttling is still "unlimited" because users can continue to access the Internet, speed restrictions are still a type of limit placed on the user. T-Mobile is doing a good thing by offering an affordable family plan with unlimited talk and text. Why muddy it with dishonest advertising?

Here is the complete article.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248360/tmobile_and_walmart_stretch_meaning_of_unlimited_with_cheap_family_plans.html

They might be doing something other to their "unlimited plans" as you will see

And another interesting one
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100736094401428282681/posts/Z8c2sGxq11B

Too bad tmobile won't be around for long.

There is a BIG difference between MBB (Mobile Broadband) calling plans that HAVE a 5GB limit and the $29.99 or $44.99 smartphone/Blackberry plans... The MBB is for Laptops or for tethering and HAS a 5GB limit... The Smartphone $29.99 or Enterprise Version for $44.99 BOTH are unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.