What's new

Verizon users - say goodbye to unlimited data

So as long as you don't upgrade your phone you don't have to change your plan?

hinds90 said:
So as long as you don't upgrade your phone you don't have to change your plan?

Yeah I think so:/

But who is going to not upgrade to the iPhone 5 because if that, when some have been waiting for it since the launch of the 4S.lol.

Verizon publicly stated that if you pay the full retail price for the phone you will not lose your unlimited data plan.

Verizon publicly stated that if you pay the full retail price for the phone you will not lose your unlimited data plan.
That makes me think that Verizon's profits from subsidies were involved in their decision to get rid of unlimited data plans.

That makes me think that Verizon's profits from subsidies were involved in their decision to get rid of unlimited data plans.

Actually, it is because of how their contracts are laid out. If you change out the device, without a subside, their contract legally specifies that nothing changes about your contract. Any "promotional change" however resets the contract and allows VZW to force and/or make changes. This change in the wording of the contract came about because of the America Family Plan introduction.

And yes, I am a very sad old man for reading the contracts every time they change. LOL

Actually, it is because of how their contracts are laid out. If you change out the device, without a subside, their contract legally specifies that nothing changes about your contract. Any "promotional change" however resets the contract and allows VZW to force and/or make changes. This change in the wording of the contract came about because of the America Family Plan introduction.

And yes, I am a very sad old man for reading the contracts every time they change. LOL
That makes sense. The "promotional change" would eat into their subsidy profits if the contract wasn't lengthened.

Well, you, sir, deserve a pat on the back. It's a huge benefit to the entire community when at least one person actually reads the contracts and can alert the community if needed. My hat's off to you.

Now if only my wife would understand why I spend 20 minutes reading the contracts at every place we go. LOL!

Skull One said:

Very sad old man?lol.

I think you mean "thorough" not "sad".lol.

A extremely good habit to have. Tho I'm sure you know that.lol.

I forget with one, but one of the CEO's from the big three carriers said that he wished subsidies would go away and that we would go to the model that the rest of the world has. That is no subsidies. The problem is that in the rest of the world all phones work on all carriers so if you don't like Verizon's service, you simply switch to AT&T since there are no contracts.

I'm not sure how I feel about that but it would definitely cut down on my phone purchasing frequency.

That makes too much sense. Hence it will never happen here in the US. Mostly because common sense is shunned.

Skull One said:
That makes too much sense. Hence it will never happen here in the US. Mostly because common sense is shunned.

Once again...a very valid point.

Skull One said:

Ok so how would it work if I waited and bought a 4G LTE phone after the change. Paid full retail. My contract says unlimited data but doesn't specify 3G or 4G. I have no problem paying full retail but how would that work?

Ok so how would it work if I waited and bought a 4G LTE phone after the change. Paid full retail. My contract says unlimited data but doesn't specify 3G or 4G. I have no problem paying full retail but how would that work?

Up until this announcement, this was a very easy question to answer. You would be switched to LTE no questions asked. Today, I no longer know.

The current billing system displays "Unlimited Email and Web" (I think that is the wording) without specifying what technology it is using. So from that stand point, I would have to believe that you could switch from 3G to LTE with no issue since they both provide that. But that is an "opinion" not a "fact".

I will be monitoring the chatter on this, across a lot of sites. Hopefully someone will get a solid answer out of VZW soon and post it.