What's new

Verizon talking people out of the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the case recently with me. I went into a VW store to purchase a bluetooth device. I asked the salesperson to check for my upgrade date as I wanted to get an iphone at that time. He said I could do it right now and began talking about the Thunderbolt.

Longer story short, I bought the Thunderbolt (to replace my Incredible) and now am expecting my new iphone in the mail today after calling Verizon and complaining about the Thunderbolt. It was after my 15 day return date, but due to the aforementioned story, they offered to send me a new iphone at the current "new customer rate).

From what I have heard and now read on this forum, I think I will be happy with my new iphone.

Thanks,

Rob

My experience was simple. On June 9th, I walked into the VZW store asked for the iphone and got the iphone. I even had my Ottorbox Defender with me so I can put the iphone in it. I did not get any accessories. I got those before hand from Amazon and Ebay for much cheaper than the VZW store. If you know what you want, then the store clerk cannot dissuade you from getting it. Do your research before you go into the store.

suprjew said:
Hello one and all! I am VZW employee and know for a fact that in my store we are not pushing a person either way, but each of us do have our own preferences. I find that people that have android devices push that way and those that have an iPhone push that way. There is never any incentive towards a certain phone in the corporate stores.

I can't vouch for the indirect retailers at all and know that they have totally different things going on (mostly bad) ...

I love my iPhone and am now running iOS 5 on it and it is pretty slick. Dont let a fanboy ruin your phone buying experience.

How do you have IOS 5?

suprjew said:
Hello one and all! I am VZW employee and know for a fact that in my store we are not pushing a person either way, but each of us do have our own preferences. I find that people that have android devices push that way and those that have an iPhone push that way. There is never any incentive towards a certain phone in the corporate stores.

I can't vouch for the indirect retailers at all and know that they have totally different things going on (mostly bad) ...

I love my iPhone and am now running iOS 5 on it and it is pretty slick. Dont let a fanboy ruin your phone buying experience.

How do you have IOS 5?

Lol exactly! How did you get it?

I buy online because I know what I want and don't need to hear some wanna-be tech give me a sales shpeel I don't wanna hear. I get the best price online as well.

suprjew said:

How do you have IOS 5?

Lol exactly! How did you get it?

I paid 3$ on ebay to have someone add me to their Apple Dev account so I could activate it. You can find iOS 5 on the internet if you search torrent sites for it.

Ok so my friend dropped his phone and the screen shattered (droid) and he went to the verizon store and asked if he had insurance, sure enough he did not but he had an upgrade. Me being with him I'm a huge apple guy so I told him to get the iPhone and Immediately the rep was saying no no you want android cuz it's better and of coursed I laughed so hard in his face and said I could have a debate about this all day long . Idk if its true or not but I heard that they dnt make commission off of apple so that's why they do it . But I really dnt know. Not trying to spread rumors

Come on, y'all. I see these exact arguments on the Android boards. Both are good devices and both have their pluses and minuses. I wouldn't say there is a clear cut winner on either side. My preference, I lean towards Apple and love using my wife's iPhone. That being said, my Droid Incredible is also a great phone and there is some flexibility in the things I do with it rooted that you can't do on a jailbroken iPhone such as changing the complete ROM's and some other options.

Before some in here cast stones at "fanbois", please beware of glass houses. And you should all be VERY thankful that Apple AND Android both exist, because those two powerhouses are pushing each other at increasing rates and providing us much better systems much faster than if either didn't exist.

So come on, let's ease up on the fanboism a little bit.

There is no pay or contest incentive and the employees DO NOT care about any price differences to the company. Verizon pays their employees on the contract term the plan you select any extra features and the accessories you buy. THEY DO NOT GET ANY COMMISION FOR THE PHONE other than if it is a smartphone they are selling you a smartphone plan and most likely more accessories. That said they got in the habit of bashing the iphone for 3 long years and thats just what they are used to. We where fed android is better ******* since the motorola droid and in a lot of cases it was true still is true but in my opinion you compare a jailbroke iphone to even a rooted android and the iphone comes out on top but the iphones lack of true multitasking both sucks and is awesome at the same time. I had the thunderbolt traded it for the iphone because i knew that the iphones lack of real multitasking would keep the phone from eating its battery alive. All in all I am glad I made the switch but I am not a fan boy which many apple owners are. So I'm actually capapble of owning an iphone and admitting there are some downsides to it.

When I worked there I sold more android than iphone but I bought my iphone 2 days before seperating and probably would have sold more iphones after that. I always told customers the truth that iphone are less likely going to give the person grief and that the apps are usally better on the iphone but they cost more there are even identical apps that cost more on iphone than on android plus android has the amazon app market which has a free paid app everyday and sales on other apps.

In the end though
You kinda just sell what you own and most employees own ANDROID

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the case recently with me. I went into a VW store to purchase a bluetooth device. I asked the salesperson to check for my upgrade date as I wanted to get an iphone at that time. He said I could do it right now and began talking about the Thunderbolt.

Longer story short, I bought the Thunderbolt (to replace my Incredible) and now am expecting my new iphone in the mail today after calling Verizon and complaining about the Thunderbolt. It was after my 15 day return date, but due to the aforementioned story, they offered to send me a new iphone at the current "new customer rate).

From what I have heard and now read on this forum, I think I will be happy with my new iphone.

Thanks,

Rob

The thunderbolt thing was a special promotion that was targeting current customers who had a 3g smartphone and lived in a 4g area. They only had one choice and it was the thunderbolt and other than that they where not YET ready to upgrade.

Okay, everyone, language is getting our of hand. Please settle down with that.

Being in sales my guess is that they have an incredible inventory of inferior phones they need to push so there is probably incentive on the droid phones also they are probably capped out on an iPhone because they don't need to sell it..it sells it's self it is the top phone on the market

Come on, y'all. I see these exact arguments on the Android boards. Both are good devices and both have their pluses and minuses. I wouldn't say there is a clear cut winner on either side. My preference, I lean towards Apple and love using my wife's iPhone. That being said, my Droid Incredible is also a great phone and there is some flexibility in the things I do with it rooted that you can't do on a jailbroken iPhone such as changing the complete ROM's and some other options.

Before some in here cast stones at "fanbois", please beware of glass houses. And you should all be VERY thankful that Apple AND Android both exist, because those two powerhouses are pushing each other at increasing rates and providing us much better systems much faster than if either didn't exist.

So come on, let's ease up on the fanboism a little bit.

I don't think that most are trying to argue. We are just giving our examples of what the OP was inquiring about.

When I went to buy my iPhone, the guy who was selling to me had an iPhone... and it was a huge help. Granted, I had my mind made up, but he knew the phone backwards and forwards and was able to help this middle aged noob feel comfortable in using the phone when we left the store. So I can see how a sales person would sell what they have, because it's what they know and what they prefer! :)

I used to have a att iphone and switched to verizon awhile back. I started with a droid x and had nothing but problems. Verizon customer service gave me an exception and shipped me a Samsung Fascinate. Once again nothing but problems, i actually had 3 that all failed, either locking up or software failures. I called Verizon customer care again, and this time, I got a wonderful lady by the name of Casey on the phone. She told me the android phones are on so many different platforms (versions) that its hard to get a quality build. She then asked me if I wanted to move to the Iphone even though I didnt have a upgrade available. She sent me a brand new iphone (not a refurb) under a warranty exchange. I couldnt believe it!!!! The iphone has not had any problems and I am soooo glad I went back to the iphone. The rep actually suggested the iphone as a more stable platform and told me that I wouldnt have any problems with the OS. So far so good, I wont ever go back to android!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.